The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks TV Ratings are down 27%

DonaldBrashear

4 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

That's pretty much what I mean.  They should not have let it go.  Outbid?  Bah!  This day in age with all that money in that industry... I say BAH!

Bah?  They blew their wad on Cherry and his idiot sidekick.  No money left for iconic song.  Now barely hang onto a network, although the Liberals coming back helped a lot.

The hockey coverage in this country remains ban-worthy in any event.  They should search for ways to improve it or vanish into oblivion.  Business reasons.

As a season ticket holder, I gotta say, I can't give away my tickets this year literally. If the Canucks tank more then I imagine any of the Feb/March games will basically be throw-a-ways. I imagine there will be a mass exodus of ticket holders as pretty much no one renews their tickets. After all why buy season tickets when you can buy individual games much cheaper from "sucker" season ticket holders???

5 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

As a season ticket holder, I gotta say, I can't give away my tickets this year literally. If the Canucks tank more then I imagine any of the Feb/March games will basically be throw-a-ways. I imagine there will be a mass exodus of ticket holders as pretty much no one renews their tickets. After all why buy season tickets when you can buy individual games much cheaper from "sucker" season ticket holders???

Any tickets that you literally want to give away - pm me. I'll gladly take a couple.

8 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

Haha. A little bitter that I was correct about the Canucks this year and you were way off?

Nice strawman by the way, I never said Lack>Miller, in fact I said Miller was likely slightly better. But I said Lack + a 4.5mil player would be a better option for the Canucks than an aging Miller. 

How was a way off? I said we were a fringe playoff team(which we still are by the way LOL weak pacific division) and we were until injuries came like the black plaque. I highly doubt you based your opinion based on that, infact i remember you saying the same thing at the beginning last season as well. I guess when you say the same thing every year your bound to be right eventually

You weren't going to get a 4.5 million dollar player if you kept Lack. He got 5.5 over two years. Plus it looks like cap space is going to become the main currency of the NHL (used to be draft picks) since the Canadian dollar is down and the cap is apparently projected to be around 74 million (3 million in growth). So I guess the real question is what you prefer cap space over having a 3 million dollar player for 2+ years?  or the 15 million we are going to have this summer?

17 minutes ago, KFBR392 said:

Any tickets that you literally want to give away - pm me. I'll gladly take a couple.

Well, when I say "give away" I mean sell them for LESS than I would get back by donating them to the Canucks for Kids. Basically as a season ticket holder you can "donate" tickets online through the Canucks website to charity. By doing that, the canucks send you a tax slip at the end of the year and you can claim it on your taxes, sp you get a tax refund which is 43%. So if tickets have a value $40, then there's no point in ever selling them for less than $17.20 because it makes more sense to donate them and get the tax refund (not to mention, you are helping sick kids go to the game). So there IS a floor after all.... :)

On 12/14/2015 at 6:52 PM, Mustapha said:

Have you seen how horrible HNIC is now? 

WTF does George Snuffleupagus know about hockey?

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

I like Kelly Hrudey. He's the best sportscaster on there. I wanna know what it was like to play a goalie! :D

This is precisely why the Canucks would never say they are tanking.

A few of you would pay to go to games, and some would watch on sportsnet anyway regardless of how good they are. But in general, people will not shell out the ticket revenue that they need if they embraced tanking publicly.

As Trevor Linden said, tanking is just not practical. As a fan you can check out for 2-3 years and then come back with season tickets. As team management, you have to manage the gate for those lean years. During which time your job may be on the line.

1 hour ago, jmahyoung said:

This is precisely why the Canucks would never say they are tanking.

A few of you would pay to go to games, and some would watch on sportsnet anyway regardless of how good they are. But in general, people will not shell out the ticket revenue that they need if they embraced tanking publicly.

As Trevor Linden said, tanking is just not practical. As a fan you can check out for 2-3 years and then come back with season tickets. As team management, you have to manage the gate for those lean years. During which time your job may be on the line.

Good post, TL and JB have to sell tickets and they know this team is not a playoff team. They just can't come out and say it.

For some reason most people can't use their own brains to figure out what's really going on. They just love drinking that koolaid. 

On 2015-12-14 at 6:44 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/rogers-still-struggling-to-get-tv-ratings-up-for-nhl-221517546.html

Low Canadian dollar, decreasing ticket sales, decreasing merchandise sales, and regional ratings plunging. Not a great time for the Canucks. These stats are also probably a bit older and it's only going to get worse. No surprise I guess judging by how quiet these forums are lately.

TV ratings are down because of the misleading advertising campaign for NHL Gamecenter Live. I thought I was getting most games this year. I get barely any with GCL. Now I am just living with not seeing the games,

I've lost interest in the NHL as the game has gotten stupid fast. With such a small ice surface why would you have a 4 ref system. Having two refs and two linesman, they are always interfering with play and sometimes creating chances that should not exist. Every game I've watched, refs have caused some type of screw up. With more eyes, you would think the calls would make sense. It's so controversial that they created a stupid coach's challenge. Wow, if 4 weren't enough, let's throw the coaches in the mix. Holy mackerel, these guys make over $100k a year. Forget becoming a becoming a hockey player, start your kids on a officiating program. They hardly need to skate with 4 of them on the ice. 

While I agree there have been definite benefits to Rogers new deal, I liked watching Canucks games way more beforehand. We used to have a legit pregame show with Valk, Donny, Shorty and Garrett. Sometimes nowadays they just ignore us right til gametime, and give a halfhearted intro from Murph. Other times a panel of Toronto dolts will analyze our team even tho they don't seem to know anything about it. Plus we have way more Craig Simpson nowadays, which is terrible for viewing.

7 minutes ago, thui said:

I've lost interest in the NHL as the game has gotten stupid fast. With such a small ice surface why would you have a 4 ref system. Having two refs and two linesman, they are always interfering with play and sometimes creating chances that should not exist. Every game I've watched, refs have caused some type of screw up. With more eyes, you would think the calls would make sense. It's so controversial that they created a stupid coach's challenge. Wow, if 4 weren't enough, let's throw the coaches in the mix. Holy mackerel, these guys make over $100k a year. Forget becoming a becoming a hockey player, start your kids on a officiating program. They hardly need to skate with 4 of them on the ice. 

Probably the must naive comment I have seen in a while. Desi is bad but at least he is consisent and funny, this is just plain naivety

On 12/14/2015 at 6:52 PM, Mustapha said:

Have you seen how horrible HNIC is now? 

WTF does George Snuffleupagus know about hockey?

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

HNIC is terrible, George is being shoved down our throats, with his trendy outfits and shoes, trying to do a cherry, but stylish clothing impersonation, i used to only turn off cherry, now i have to turn off george as well

it's becoming all show at the expense of substance, i clearly am not the audience they are targetting

I watched pretty much every game from the 1996 season to the 2013 season. I have no problem watching my team have losing seasons (I'm a Cowboys fan, so disappointment is something I'm used to). Even during the Keenan era, I loved watching the team, hoping that a young up and coming team could make some noise and make the playoffs. Eventually that lead to the WCE and Sedin prime days, and I was on these message boards pretty much all day every day. But something happened to my interest in 2013, mainly after the Cory Schneider trade. I thought it was a horrible decision to get rid of him over Luongo (who I thought would hamstring us with his contract for the next decade at that point), and I knew with our core aging, it was going to be a long, painful rebuild. The rebuild I would have no issues with, and enjoy like I did in the late 90s. But these transition years, where we wait for the old core that failed to win (Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Bieksa, Hamhuis, etc. etc) to slowly filter out of the lineup were going to be brutal to watch. I don't want to see these player anymore. If players like Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, etc. had a bigger part of this season, I'd watch every game. But we have a coach that will rely on the vets until the bitter end.

The shocking thing is how little the Canucks are part of any conversation I have with my buddies and family. It used to be the main topic for a good decade, now I'd be lucky if anyone has watched any recent game. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather watch nothing at all than a Canucks game, which would have been mind boggling a couple years back.

I guess I've grown up, and don't have as much time for the team of these boards, but I can't believe how much my interest has waned. I'm sure I'm not the only one like this (though I've kept up on the prospects quite a bit)

Archived