The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks TV Ratings are down 27%

DonaldBrashear

23 minutes ago, Iron_Gland said:

I watched pretty much every game from the 1996 season to the 2013 season. I have no problem watching my team have losing seasons (I'm a Cowboys fan, so disappointment is something I'm used to). Even during the Keenan era, I loved watching the team, hoping that a young up and coming team could make some noise and make the playoffs. Eventually that lead to the WCE and Sedin prime days, and I was on these message boards pretty much all day every day. But something happened to my interest in 2013, mainly after the Cory Schneider trade. I thought it was a horrible decision to get rid of him over Luongo (who I thought would hamstring us with his contract for the next decade at that point), and I knew with our core aging, it was going to be a long, painful rebuild. The rebuild I would have no issues with, and enjoy like I did in the late 90s. But these transition years, where we wait for the old core that failed to win (Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Bieksa, Hamhuis, etc. etc) to slowly filter out of the lineup were going to be brutal to watch. I don't want to see these player anymore. If players like Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, etc. had a bigger part of this season, I'd watch every game. But we have a coach that will rely on the vets until the bitter end.

The shocking thing is how little the Canucks are part of any conversation I have with my buddies and family. It used to be the main topic for a good decade, now I'd be lucky if anyone has watched any recent game. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather watch nothing at all than a Canucks game, which would have been mind boggling a couple years back.

I guess I've grown up, and don't have as much time for the team of these boards, but I can't believe how much my interest has waned. I'm sure I'm not the only one like this (though I've kept up on the prospects quite a bit)

Good post. Just a minor shot. Willie has relied on Horvat, but Horvats flat out sucked. 

On 14/12/2015 at 6:49 PM, Gstank29 said:

Considering most Canucks fans are fair weather fans, it doesnt surprise me

Nope, just don't like wasting my time. I'm still a fan, but I'm not going to waste my time until they get their act together. That and its definitely not worth the extra $80 on my cable bill, which is why I cancelled it all together.   

2 hours ago, Iron_Gland said:

The shocking thing is how little the Canucks are part of any conversation I have with my buddies and family. It used to be the main topic for a good decade, now I'd be lucky if anyone has watched any recent game.

Same here.

From the time the Canucks made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years (April, 2001) to the time of the Bertuzzi incident on Steve Moore (March, 2004)...... those 3 years.... you couldn't go anywhere in Vancouver without hockey being the #1 topic. Lots of true fans who cared about the game. Hockey was all anyone talked about and we were just grateful to have an exciting top scoring team. We led the league in scoring in 01/02 season and that solidified it. The West Coast Express line.

Now no one talks hockey. Sucks. I miss it. But that's life living on the west coast because it's not a true hockey town. One day we will have something to get excited about though. Maybe Auston Matthews? Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky

do pvr's influence ratings in any way? i usually work until 10 at night so i pvr when i remember to. that also means:

- can't listen to 1040 on my way home (blessing sometimes)

- can't go on twitter

- can't go on thescore app

- can't go on fantasy hockey app (another blessing sometimes because vrbata enjoys giving me negative points)

most of the time i just go on their youtube channel and watch the game highlights. they really do a great job of capturing the way they play - both good and bad.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 3:16 AM, Bunter Shinkorvat said:

do pvr's influence ratings in any way? i usually work until 10 at night so i pvr when i remember to. that also means:

- can't listen to 1040 on my way home (blessing sometimes)

- can't go on twitter

- can't go on thescore app

- can't go on fantasy hockey app (another blessing sometimes because vrbata enjoys giving me negative points)

most of the time i just go on their youtube channel and watch the game highlights. they really do a great job of capturing the way they play - both good and bad.

No PVR should count as ratings. Either way, there's no reason for the leafs to be down 5% and canucks down 27%. COmpared to other teams it is brutal. Hockey is about to die in Vancouver worse than it did in the 90's with Messier if this keeps up.

47 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

It sucks but you could really market the team with a top flashy pick. With a top pick and some smart UFA pick ups this offseason this team could have a solid team next year.

This is what i am really wishing for. A highly touted draft pick, plus a few veteran FA signings and next year should bring back some excitement. Having a blue-chip top 3 level prospect would do wonders to refresh this fan base. 

Archived