The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Christmas/Ramadan/Hanukkah Important to you?

Mainly Mattias

it's one of the biggest shopping days, so yes

also it's my birthday. other than that, jesus/god is as real as Santa for me. Don't hate it, don't mind it. Time off work is always nice.

the bottom line is, most people spend more time with family and friends, and that's important for society.

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

also it's my birthday. other than that, jesus/god is as real as Santa for me. Don't hate it, don't mind it. Time off work is always nice.

the bottom line is, most people spend more time with family and friends, and that's important for society.

My kids get like 2 weeks off from school and I'm able to take time off work to spend it with them so I Will take it. I still get gifts but I never ask for anything, and I find it next to impossible to find the right gift for anyone over the age of 10 so that makes things difficult.

I would like it if it wasn't so focused on gifts but more on spending time together but who is gonna make any $$ on that.

I want to start getting into the Jewish roots of Christianity, and Hanukkah seems interesting, even though it's not biblical.

Christmas isn't really my thing anymore, but I like the lights and the fact it brings people together.

So atm, no, but hopefully in the future.

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Ya, love the holidays for shopping - :lol:

FEED ME!  That's what it's all about.  If the wife goes shopping, I'll go - to the GOOD COURT, AND CHOW DOWN with all the other guys dragged out shopping.

seriously.  Most guys aren't being honest if the holidays aren't about the food.

13 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I want to start getting into the Jewish roots of Christianity, and Hanukkah seems interesting, even though it's not biblical.

Christmas isn't really my thing anymore, but I like the lights and the fact it brings people together.

So atm, no, but hopefully in the future.

If you thought Hanukkah wasn't biblical, wait until you look into Christmas!

15 minutes ago, TheFirstLine said:

So judging by these responses a lot of the "atheist" posters on this thread will have the most joyous time during Christmas but will slam Christianity every chance they get. Pretty hypocritical imo. 

I love the Christmas Holiday, and I am from another planet! 

I'm atheist, so no religious aspect for me and while we do buy presents etc we don't go crazy like a lot of people so I'm not so sure the commercial aspect fits me much either.

I prefer to think of it as a fun cultural celebration to be shared with good friends and family. Good food, good drink and good company. And now that I have kids, it's even more special to watch the joy in their eyes around all the lights, decorating, treats, events etc.

Watching them go see Santa and running up and giving him a big hug was an absolute joy to watch. Decorating the tree while listening to Christmas tunes, going for walks around our neighborhood to see the lights (there's plenty in our neighbourhood OP), decorating cookies with their grandparents/cousins/aunts/uncles etc is so much fun for/with them!

It's also nice to cuddle up with the wife on the couch with some red wine for some Christmas movies.

We also made a fairly sizable donation to the less fortunate which is something I hope to further instill in my boys as they get older.

If you're lacking Christmas joy in your heart, do something about it ;)

Ghandi.jpg

Christmas is an important religious aspect for me, getting to celebrate the birth of my Saviour, as I'm a Christian. Never liked the commercial side of it, especially working in retail. It's also the one time of year where everyone in my house truly gets along, do it means a lot in that aspect too. So I'm one who really gets into the Christmas spirit. 

On 12/15/2015 at 10:31 AM, HC20.0 said:

Christmas is an important religious aspect for me, getting to celebrate the birth of my Saviour, as I'm a Christian. Never liked the commercial side of it, especially working in retail. It's also the one time of year where everyone in my house truly gets along, do it means a lot in that aspect too. So I'm one who really gets into the Christmas spirit. 

Merry Christmas HC20.0.

Your post is inspiring for Christians, religious and nonreligious alike. 

I hope everyone continues to get along in your house for the whole year of 2016. I get your sentiment and I'm sure most of us do. Christmas brings that special and friendly spirit out of us Canadians, even those of us, who like me, aren't Christian or don't practice any particular religion.

For me growing up in Canada, I celebrate Christmas because it's part our country's heritage and culture. I welcome all newcomers to this country to embrace our culture as much as they embrace their own culture from their previous country. Nothing says Canadian more than celebrating each other's culture. It's evident in our day to day life to anyone who's spent some time in our beautiful country.

I'd like to especially send well wishes to our Jewish friends and the people of Israel a very happy Hanukkah. Love Israel and everything they stand for.  Many wishes and good luck for the new year to our Jewish friends and to all peace loving people around the world. 

Good Luck and best wishes in the new year.

Edit: This Holiday Season we have new Canadians coming to Canada due to a very perilous situation in their previous country, Syria. Welcome and good luck in your new country. 

I think Christmas, much like Halloween should be for the kids. 

Being "grown up now" early/mid 20's, I have come to cherish the child hood days when I believed in Santa. 

For adults its just an excuse to buy buy buy, and eat/drink a lot. Let the kids have fun. 

Archived