Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The WJC was an invention created by TSN to sell Canadian Tire products to hockey-crazy Canadian fans in the dead of winter


TOMapleLaughs

Recommended Posts

The product on the ice is massively overrated and over-hyped.  Fans and media take a microscope to every decision and every play even though these are teenagers who have not developed yet and the 'coaching' may not even be understood due to this lack of development.

That being said, it probably does make a lot of money, so it is what it is.

What say you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not overrated or over-hyped.  It is the best hockey tournament of the year played by kids who do it for the love of the game.  Why must people bitch and complain and take the love out of things they cannot possible comprehend? Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy watching the hockey. It's community oriented as well and personally after living in a rural community and seeing the support for our local WHL team (Rebels) it's not surprising they would promote it as much as they do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get what you're saying at all. Does Canadian Tire even sponsor the WJC?

I watch it for the exciting hockey of young players who aren't even getting paid to play, in a way they give like Santa but save like Scrooge. 

Don't forget that hockey is tested for life in Canada and the WJC passes that test with flying colours of Red, White and Green. 

Certainly if the players aren't being paid for the WJC then no one is making money off of it, meaning all those poor executives will have to find some place to shop where there is a lot more for a lot less. If only there existed such a store. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

I don't get what you're saying at all. Does Canadian Tire even sponsor the WJC?

I watch it for the exciting hockey of young players who aren't even getting paid to play, in a way they give like Santa but save like Scrooge. 

Don't forget that hockey is tested for life in Canada and the WJC passes that test with flying colours of Red, White and Green. 

Certainly if the players aren't being paid for the WJC then no one is making money off of it, meaning all those poor executives will have to find some place to shop where there is a lot more for a lot less. If only there existed such a store. 

Canadian Tire is part of the international sponsorship group of Team Canada, and the WJC in particular.  Canadian Tire was mentioned to represent this sponsorship group because it was deemed the most Canadian hockey-related retail outlet sponsor of the bunch.

Alternatively I could have mentioned Boston Pizza, Molson Canadian, Kraft Foods, RBC, etc., but Canadian Tire seemed to fit more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It's not overrated or over-hyped.  It is the best hockey tournament of the year played by kids who do it for the love of the game.  Why must people bitch and complain and take the love out of things they cannot possible comprehend? Don't like it? Don't watch it.

It's a nice idea that you think these young men play hockey because they love it; because they used to before the minimum salary in the NHL was $525k. If you want to see guys play for the love of the game, head down to 8 Rinks and watch some beer leaguers.

Personally I don't make the WJC appointment viewing. Most times they seem to be on at 4am or some ungodly hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Canadian Tire is part of the international sponsorship group of Team Canada, and the WJC in particular.  Canadian Tire was mentioned to represent this sponsorship group because it was deemed the most Canadian hockey-related retail outlet sponsor of the bunch.

Alternatively I could have mentioned Boston Pizza, Molson Canadian, Kraft Foods, RBC, etc., but Canadian Tire seemed to fit more.

:picard: you didn't actually read my post did you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weren't you the guy who insisted on Johhny Fradreau all Summer?

The reason that these are teenagers who are prone to mistakes every once in a while, makes it some of the most exciting to watch. 

I'll watch Canada Vs. USA versus the Canucks against any western conference team, on December 31st, 10 times out of 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...