The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Ops Staff-Travis Green

bigbadcanucks

I have a hard time believing that JB/TL hired Willie knowing they would replace him with Green - that just doesn't seem like a 'character' thing to do to. 

I think Willie's hiring was genuine and that the management believed he could get the job done, not that they would use him as a stop-gap until another candidate (Green) was ready. 

That said, I do see Green getting the associate position in Vancouver next season thereby giving him the experience he needs at the NHL level which is just about the only thing he doesn't have on his resume now. 

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I have a hard time believing that JB/TL hired Willie knowing they would replace him with Green - that just doesn't seem like a 'character' thing to do to. 

I think Willie's hiring was genuine and that the management believed he could get the job done, not that they would use him as a stop-gap until another candidate (Green) was ready. 

That said, I do see Green getting the associate position in Vancouver next season thereby giving him the experience he needs at the NHL level which is just about the only thing he doesn't have on his resume now. 

They wanted Willie based on his winning in the AHL. How that will play out here should be interesting to see.

And even though Willie makes some really ridiculous decisions, like playing Yannick Weber, and throwing the Sedins out into 3 on 3, it would only be fair to let Willie ride out his contract to the end, especially considering what Benning may have planned for the summer.

Let Willie have one more crack next season with an even more retooled roster, and promote Travis Green to associate coach, and give Gulutzan the Comets to coach.

If next year finds Willie making similar mistakes with similar results with an almost completely different roster, save for the Sedins, Edler, and Hansen, then a change is made.

At the end of this year it’s not how much we’ve won, but how our youth have been developing.  We need to start seeing some progress from Horvat, McCann, Hutton, Markstrom, and Baertschi.  That’s the purpose of a transition, not to watch Higgins, Dorsett and Prust get their 15 + minutes per game.

WD has seemed to doing better the last few games in terms of following through on the transition.  He’s not relying on the players he trust all the time and not putting Dorsett and Prust in tough scoring expectation late in the game.  He definitely deserves the remainder of the year, but it will really depends on what happens when we start to get a bit healthier and if he reverts back to old habits. 

Green has worked with the players in our system already,  He’s familiar with the players that we expect to take over after the Sedins are gone, and he’s been getting good results from them. Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier, Pedan, Markstrom, Baertschi have all developed under him and have had success.  He has a trust with them already. 

It’s very similar to when AV took over from Crow,  It was a transition from the WCE into the new core of the Sedins.  AV has experience coaching with the players in our system,  Burrows, Kesler, Bieska, Hansen.  All these players we’re developed and brought up by AV and it’s no surprise that they were part of canucks core during our strongest seasons.

As far as I’m concerned, the coach job belongs to Green at the end of the year.  It’s up to Willie to really show that he’s this youth coach that he was talked about when being hired.  Most coached don’t make it through the transition.  Look at the list of teams that went through a rebuild, Hawks, LA, Pens.  All fired their coaches that took them through transition.  The new coach came in, took over and won a cup within the next 2 years.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think their plan might have been to groom Green this whole time. I have a feeling they won't go into the final year of Willie's contract without an extension.

It's important that if Green is our guy that we don't let him get poached. He could be our next AV.

Exactly.......pretty sure that's been the plan all along.  He'll come up with the young guys that he's already worked with.  Fingers crossed that he doesn't get picked up.

43 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Where the hell is the logic in that?

What has Green done? Is this another ludicrous CDC "if it's new it has to be better" brainfart?

If he can't stick, why should we care? I always thought it was just kids who wanted the toy someone else wanted - not because it was better but because the other kid wanted it.

The guy is 44 years old, if he cant't wait till he is 49 then tough sh-t imo. We have the guy we want unfortunately he is coaching with the equivalent of one arm tied behind his back - it's called TRANSITION.

You have some issues. He can be the assistant coach until he's ready to take over. WD may be the guy YOU want. His coaching was embarrassing in the playoffs against the Flames. The twins were dominating and he refused to line match or give them more minutes until management had to intervene and tell him to play them more.

Not saying WD is a bad coach, but I think Green will be better when his time comes, especially with the younger players while were in TRANSITION.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Exactly.......pretty sure that's been the plan all along.  He'll come up with the young guys that he's already worked with.  Fingers crossed that he doesn't get picked up.

The one thing I've liked about the Comets is that they're a hard working team. They come to play almost every night.

This year there has been a significant drop in skill yet Green still has them competing and winning games.

We could use that in a coach right about now.

I don't think fans of Travis Green should be demanding for him to take the head coaching job, at least not right now. Why would you want to see him get ripped apart within months of landing the job by the Vancouver media and fans, the same way Willie has been treated here? The current roster is unstable, there will be a lot of changes to it in the near future.

If he's an excellent AHL coach (which he is), then let him stay where's he comfortable until we're in need of a new coach. Our prospects need him way more than the Sedins and the rest of the vets do.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The one thing I've liked about the Comets is that they're a hard working team. They come to play almost every night.

This year there has been a significant drop in skill yet Green still has them competing and winning games.

We could use that in a coach right about now.

I don't know. Willy D's Texas Stars were also a "hard working team" as were his teams before that. While skill could have been a factor, this whole thing seems more like a far-fetched conspiracy to me at this point.

Perhaps Green will be looked at later on for the Canucks, but I'm not so convinced that Willy D's doing such a "poor job" as to get him fired. I don't think Utica's drop in skill is as bad as people think, at least not when you compare it to the Canuck's lack of skill compared to what they had. The NHL is also a much harder league with a lot more parity happening really.

I doubt the Canucks are going to fire WD if teams get serious about going after Travis.

If the Canucks are serious enough about Travis eventually being the next coach and want to prevent him from signing elsewhere, there will be a price to be paid. IIRC, the Red Wings essentially paid Blashill NHL money to mind the farm until Babcock left. The Canucks might have to do the same with Travis.

Here's a little fun fact that I found about Travis Green (source Wikipedia): he's won $345,000 in poker tournaments.  If and when Green finally makes his way back home to B.C. (forgot he was a BC boy until I did the Wikipedia research), BCLC will have the opportunity to sponsor Green now that their sponsorship deal with Luongo is done.

Maybe the next step for Green will be an Associate Coach role with the Canucks under Willie D.  Sort of like the role John Stevens has under Darryl Sutter.  Could be a solid replacement for career Assistant Coach Perry Pearn who at 64 yo may want to retire soon.  But that's just speculation on my part.

So, if Travis Green is moved to the NHL level, who's next in line for Utica?  Bomber?  Does Johnston rejoin the Canucks organization?

6 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Won't be surprised to see Green with Canucks in 3-5 years if Green is poached under our noses by Columbus or Pitts next year

my opinion honestly.  Coaches with solid records with developing youth won't stay in the AHL long without getting a shot in the bigs imo

Im fine with riding the high seas with WD behind the wheel until the end of the season. It would be fool hearty to run through 3 coaches in 3 seasons and a bit. Arrrrrrrg  may as well trade for David jones while were at it and get him a locker next to the twins so they can get accustomed to life at the depths of the league.  Before we make Willi walk the plank and keel haul Travis Green.

8 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

I was operating under the assumption that TG was being given the three years as a chance to refine his techniques and experiment before being thrown into the frying pan here in Vancouver. People are worried about him getting poached but he could very well already know that he's the next guy in Vancouver.

Travis Green was hired by Mike Gillis in the summer of 2013 and given a 3 year contract.  That would be up at the end of this season.

Willie Dejardins was hired by Jim Benning in the summer of 2014 and given a 4 year contract.  That would be up 2 years later than Greens contract.

Unless they renew Green for 2 more years, to align the term with Dejardins term, or bring Green on as an assistant under WD,  it doesn't look like there is a plan for succession in place.  Also, WD took the Vancouver job over the Pittsburgh job (that he also interviewed for) because he was given the power to select his own assistants in Van and not in Pitt.  And why would WD agree to have Green as his assistant if he had any suspicion that they actually wanted Green to succeed him.

Of course Benning has a Portland connection.  He played there as a junior for a little over 2 seasons 79-81 and keeps a summer home just outside Portland.  His wife is from there.

Benning and Linden seem to be very happy with Green but if his contract is up at the end of this season, you have to wonder if they are talking and if one of the parties wants to keep their options open, which one is it?

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think their plan might have been to groom Green this whole time. I have a feeling they won't go into the final year of Willie's contract without an extension.

It's important that if Green is our guy that we don't let him get poached. He could be our next AV.

AV was one of the worst coaches in canucks history... always outcoached

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Travis Green was hired by Mike Gillis in the summer of 2013 and given a 3 year contract.  That would be up at the end of this season.

Willie Dejardins was hired by Jim Benning in the summer of 2014 and given a 4 year contract.  That would be up 2 years later than Greens contract.

Unless they renew Green for 2 more years, to align the term with Dejardins term, or bring Green on as an assistant under WD,  it doesn't look like there is a plan for succession in place.  Also, WD took the Vancouver job over the Pittsburgh job (that he also interviewed for) because he was given the power to select his own assistants in Van and not in Pitt.  And why would WD agree to have Green as his assistant if he had any suspicion that they actually wanted Green to succeed him.

Of course Benning has a Portland connection.  He played there as a junior for a little over 2 seasons 79-81 and keeps a summer home just outside Portland.  His wife is from there.

Benning and Linden seem to be very happy with Green but if his contract is up at the end of this season, you have to wonder if they are talking and if one of the parties wants to keep their options open, which one is it?

You're assuming there isn't a plan in place because management hasn't explicitly told you that there is one. You're reaching pretty hard, man.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They wanted Willie based on his winning in the AHL. How that will play out here should be interesting to see.

And even though Willie makes some really ridiculous decisions, like playing Yannick Weber, and throwing the Sedins out into 3 on 3, it would only be fair to let Willie ride out his contract to the end, especially considering what Benning may have planned for the summer.

Let Willie have one more crack next season with an even more retooled roster, and promote Travis Green to associate coach, and give Gulutzan the Comets to coach.

If next year finds Willie making similar mistakes with similar results with an almost completely different roster, save for the Sedins, Edler, and Hansen, then a change is made.

Fair? This is not about fair. WD Hass a short leash 

13 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

You're assuming there isn't a plan in place because management hasn't explicitly told you that there is one. You're reaching pretty hard, man.

Ok, what I'm saying  is that somebody may be reaching pretty hard if they think there is a plan.  Here's the logic

• Green was hired by Gillis
  • Dejardins was hired by Benning
  • Green is on an expiring contract at the end of this season
  • Willie has 2 more years on his contract

I'm not saying that Benning might like Green to succeed Dejardins but not until after Dejardins has had his fair run.

If they wanted it neat and tidy, the contracts would expire at the same time.  That way if they fire WD and the end of the season (so they don't lose Green), they're not on the hook for 2 more years salary.

The impression I get of Benning and Linden is that they're straight shooters.  I would be very surprised if they had been disingenuous with Willie.

Edit:  if they fire Willie at the end of this season, it's because he hasn't performed NOT because it was planned all along.

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Edit:  if they fire Willie at the end of this season, it's because he hasn't performed NOT because it was planned all along.

Maybe not planned, but GMs groom coaches at the same time they're grooming prospects. That's part of the benefit of having a farm team.

Green is obviously in their minds as a replacement should Willie lose the team. They don't wanna be left scrambling to find a coach when they have a good one right under their noses.

Archived