The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Ops Staff-Travis Green

bigbadcanucks

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe not planned, but GMs groom coaches at the same time they're grooming prospects. That's part of the benefit of having a farm team.

Green is obviously in their minds as a replacement should Willie lose the team. They don't wanna be left scrambling to find a coach when they have a good one right under their noses.

Ya, like I said, I'm sure they would like to have him as coach one day.  Willie will get a fair shake though.  I just don't think the stars align.  Unless they offer Green NHL money (like Detroit did with Blashill when he was in Grand Rapids) he may very well take an NHL job when it comes up rather than renew with Utica.  There is no extension at this time so I would suggest he's keeping his options open.

What may keep Green interested is that Willie will be doing the heavy lifting with the team in transition.  Will Vancouver be the next Detroit?  There is an awful lot that has to go right for that to happen.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

i suspect that after Willie has had another 2-3 years here there would be "riots" if he decided to leave. 

We HAVE a great coach and if we keep Green for another 6 years then I have no doubt he will be Willies successor (not replacement.)

Willie will be 60 in February and I reckon we can keep him here until he retires. Maybe Green will be up as his assistant in 2-3 years but the way Willie is coaching here I doubt if TL and JB will want him to leave for a long time.

Great post champ. Your knowledge of the NHL really comes thru in this piece of work. 

Average tenure of a NHL coach is approximately 2.5 years.

WD is 2nd year coach of a Canadian market team with one of the worst win percentages in the entire NHL. How on Earth do you think WD is so great that he will last 8 years as coach of this team? 

According to OP, Green was offered the asst. coach job in PIT last year and he turned it down, what makes you think he'd wait 3 years to become Canucks asst. coach and/or 6 years to succeed WD as head coach? Coach Green will be head coach of a NHL team near you in the very near future.

AV took this team to game 7 of the SCF, 6 playoff births, won the Jack Adams and a whole lot of regular season success and he only lasted 7 years. 

Not many coaches last 8 years in the NHL, Scotty Bowman, Jacques Lemaire, Barry Trotz, Coach Q, Lindy Ruff come to mind. I assure you Willie D does not belong on the list with those names.

Would be pretty happy to see Green here soon. I have a lot of excitement for him, and the way he resurrected Baertschi in his brief time with the Comets last year was nice to see. It's always nice to see your farm coach come up to the bigs and do good things, hopefully we have that soon. 

18 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

You have some issues. He can be the assistant coach until he's ready to take over. WD may be the guy YOU want. His coaching was embarrassing in the playoffs against the Flames. The twins were dominating and he refused to line match or give them more minutes until management had to intervene and tell him to play them more.

Not saying WD is a bad coach, but I think Green will be better when his time comes, especially with the younger players while were in TRANSITION.

No it wasn't, that's your opinion. He went into them with a spent, burnt out team. 

Where is the evidence that management intervened and if they did it didn't work as they were still knocked out. Maybe Willie's way would have been best. No one knows. Imo if you pay a guy to coach you let him coach, if he was making a mistake he will learn from it but if he received instructions we/he/they will never know who was right. It's not his first rodeo.

I have issues alright. I have issues with crystal ball gazers like you. You haven't a clue how Green will be "when his time comes" if it ever does. And I'm saying that because I don't know, not because I have anything against him.

Meanwhile Willie has this load of s----t to push uphill in a rainstorm. And he's doing pretty well.

35 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

No it wasn't, that's your opinion. He went into them with a spent, burnt out team. 

Where is the evidence that management intervened and if they did it didn't work as they were still knocked out. Maybe Willie's way would have been best. No one knows. Imo if you pay a guy to coach you let him coach, if he was making a mistake he will learn from it but if he received instructions we/he/they will never know who was right. It's not his first rodeo.

I have issues alright. I have issues with crystal ball gazers like you. You haven't a clue how Green will be "when his time comes" if it ever does. And I'm saying that because I don't know, not because I have anything against him.

Meanwhile Willie has this load of s----t to push uphill in a rainstorm. And he's doing pretty well.

Alfstonker...you gotta stop taking people's POV so seriously.  You're going to have a twister and that ain't gonna be good for you.  It's only hockey talk.  Chillax, brotha.

13 hours ago, Bo.Horvat53 said:

Would be pretty happy to see Green here soon. I have a lot of excitement for him, and the way he resurrected Baertschi in his brief time with the Comets last year was nice to see. It's always nice to see your farm coach come up to the bigs and do good things, hopefully we have that soon. 

Resurrected him from what?

He came into the team from a poor spell in the NHL not the A. He had always done well in the A, looking at his stats and it was obviously pretty easy to play in a winning Utica team.

With respect we haven't a clue what Green could do with Baertschi or anyone else in the NHL, it's totally different level of compete (physicality) and ability.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Resurrected him from what?

He came into the team from a poor spell in the NHL not the A. He had always done well in the A, looking at his stats and it was obviously pretty easy to play in a winning Utica team.

With respect we haven't a clue what Green could do with Baertschi or anyone else in the NHL, it's totally different level of compete (physicality) and ability.

He was struggling even in Abbotsford before the trade. Came to the comets and was PPG.

Never said he could do that in the NHL, but I am inclined to think he will do similar things.

Do you just really like WD, or dislike Green? All your posts are so anti-Green, just wondering...

13 hours ago, Bo.Horvat53 said:

He was struggling even in Abbotsford before the trade. Came to the comets and was PPG.

Never said he could do that in the NHL, but I am inclined to think he will do similar things.

Do you just really like WD, or dislike Green? All your posts are so anti-Green, just wondering...

What rot. Show me an anti Green post.

At Abbotsford he had 29 points in 41 games, if that is struggling bud you need to re-calibtate.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I meant an anti Green post I had written. After all, it was ME he was accusing of being anti Green.

Back to Baertschi and the article. 

I can't blame Burke or Hartley because I agree with the kind of team they were/are trying to put together. In a word "competitive" 

How could you question a guy who sticks and nurtures "lightweights" like Gaudreau,  Jooris, Grant, Backlund Bennett, Brodie, all under 200lbs, some by a wide margin if he doesn't rate Baertschi? It's not like they pass over small players now is it? And yet they compete like hell and it's a lot of these young players who have made the difference from the disaster that was Calgary 2-3 seasons ago.

I do rate Green, very highly, but he is untested and whilst you are right to point out his opinion of Bartschi, it's hard to argue with the guy who not only ices skilled lightweights but also has a ring?

Can we trust the opinion of the GM who moved heaven and earth to do the almost impossible - draft 2nd and 3rd to keep both twins together (who by the way were hardly thought of as physical at the time) 

Green may well be right in his opinion but you are missing the obvious difference, the AHL is not the NHL, nowhere near it and while Baertschi may have the game for the A if he can't COMPETE physically at the level the NHL demands he will find it hard.

There is still hope for him and if I were him and someone like Burke had said that about me I would be battling like ------ out there to show him he's wrong. I see an improvement but he has a good way to go imo.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I meant an anti Green post I had written. After all, it was ME he was accusing of being anti Green.

I can't blame Burke or Hartley because I agree with the kind of team they were/are trying to put together. In a word "competitive" 

How could you question a guy who sticks and nurtures "lightweights" like Gaudreau,  Jooris, Grant, Backlund Bennett, Brodie, all under 200lbs, some by a wide margin if he doesn't rate Baertschi? It's not like they pass over small players now is it? And yet they compete like hell and it's a lot of these young players who have made the difference from the disaster that was Calgary 2-3 seasons ago.

I do rate Green, very highly, but he is untested and whilst you are right to point out his opinion of Bartschi, it's hard to argue with the guy who not only ices skilled lightweights but also has a ring?

Can we trust the opinion of the GM who moved heaven and earth to do the almost impossible - draft 2nd and 3rd to keep both twins together (who by the way were hardly thought of as physical at the time) 

Green may well be right in his opinion but you are missing the obvious difference, the AHL is not the NHL, nowhere near it and while Baertschi may have the game for the A if he can't COMPETE physically at the level the NHL demands he will find it hard.

There is still hope for him and if I were him and someone like Burke had said that about me I would be battling like ------ out there to show him he's wrong. I see an improvement but he has a good way to go imo.

That response was to Green reviving Baerstchi play.  Baertschi has said in interviews at the start of the year how his confidence was down, but Green made him fell needed and boosted his moral and effectively his play. 

As for Baertschi’s compete at the NHL, he seems to be doing fine the last few games.  He’s shown more compete in those games than a large number of other forwards we are icing.  WD seems to think so as well,  two nights in a row he’s played over 13 min.  he hasn’t been below 11 min in 4 games.

See the issue with your responses is you like to write players off, but you always throw yourself a life line of the “hope” and “if”.  Just in case if the player turns it around.  Just like you did with Kassian last year.  You see, the thing you don’t realize is, it’s called development.  Baertschi has had what, 6 coaches in the last 4 years all telling him how to play.  It is really a shock that it’s taking him a bit of time to settle in to another system. 

Why bring up the AHL vs NHL statement only to follow it up with there’s still hope, somewhat contracting, you either think he will never make it or he won’t.  And going by when you’ve said in other thread. You don’t. 

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Not entirely on topic about Green (ironic since I started the thread), but I actually like the type of players Burkie brings into an organzation...like you say, Alf, he moved heaven and earth to get the Sedins in the 1999 draft and he traded for Kessel who we can all agree is as soft as a down filled pillow (and drafted Nazem Kadri, who doesn't ooze toughness).  He's always had a nice mix of skilled players with players with truculence (there's that bit of Burkieism that I bet you were waiting for), which is something the Canucks are missing right now, IMHO.  Baertschi became redundant in Calgary...he fell behind guys like Gaudreau, Bennett, Jooris.  Burkie shouldn't say half the stuff he says but love him or loathe him, that's Burke being Burke. 

Sad thing is, regardless of the type of players you bring in, success is fleeting.  So many variables come into play...so freakin' hard to predict whether you're gonna have success or not. 

I think if JB/TL brought in Green now, they'd be setting him up to fail, just like the Lowe/McTavish regime did to Dallas Eakins.  That would probably do Green more harm than good for his long-term prospects as an NHL coach.  Green looks like a smart guy...he probably knows that this would be the case.

Bob Hartley though...can't stand him.  For no other reason than I believe he was handed the keys to an Avs team that was a finely tuned machine (at the very least, he didn't screw it up there)...and the fact that he looks like a ferret, which is a nice likeness to Willies chipmunk act that someone got in their signature gif.  Though I gotta say, he and Willie handled themselves with class in the media when things were getting outta hand between the Canucks and Flames last spring.

Archived