The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Nylander the next Patrick Kane?

DeNiro

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/is-nylander-the-next-patrick-kane~769799 

The fact that TSN would even pose this question shows how homeristic this network is. What is the point of comparing a 19 year old playing in the AHL to a 3 time Stanley Cup champ Conn Smythe winner? As if he won't have enough pressure on him.

The Toronto Sports Network really needs to take a chill pill and hop off the hype train. It's bad enough that they gossip like 14 year old girls because Stamkos accidentally liked something about the Leafs.

Nylander is kinda the Kane of the AHL rn, and he's only 19 so...

Yeah it's homerism but the comparison is valid, prospects are often compared to successful NHL products FYI in terms of playing style. McDavid is compared to Gretzky and Crosby even though he hasn't done crap in the NHL yet and no one has a problem with that...

11 minutes ago, Grape said:

Nylander is kinda the Kane of the AHL rn, and he's only 19 so...

Yeah it's homerism but the comparison is valid, prospects are often compared to successful NHL products FYI in terms of playing style. McDavid is compared to Gretzky and Crosby even though he hasn't done crap in the NHL yet and no one has a problem with that...

There's lots of players that play a shifty patient game like Nylander though.

They decided to choose the best one in the game and a future hall of fame player.

I expect those kinds of comparisons from people on here, not from "professionals" in the media. I would go as far as comparing him to Backstrom, but I think that's a stretch at this point. Maybe if Marner puts up points like Ovie he'll come close.

I don't think the comparison is apt, really. While young Nylander is worrying about his hair's appearance, the girls will get away.

Eichel might be Kane's hair-apparent, I'd like to know how Buffalo's cabbies have been treated thus far...

As for what he does on ice? Haven't even paid attn, & don't really give a hoot.

I really hate TSNs website.  I just watched an advertisement so I could watch a video of a radio show. 

I would agree Nylander will probably be a good NHL player, but comparing anyone to Patrick Kane at the moment is foolish.  Yeah, Ray, he's just like Kane...only without 3 cup rings, wasn't a 1st overall pick, didn't jump directly to the NHL and make an impact, won a conn smythe or calder (as of yet ::D) or represented his country 5 times. 

I'm not a Ray hater, he's generally easy to listen to, but that was a bad call.

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

I'm not a Ray hater, he's generally easy to listen to, but that was a bad call.

I thought he was going to be the voice of reason there and say that it was way too early to make comparisons. Guess not.

I did like how he shut them up about Nylander easily being the best player if he goes to the World Juniors though. 

Nylander's the next Schenn/Kabelre probably. He'll get hyped up, not live up to expectations, then get a whole bunch of trade rumours surrounding him (that are grossly unrealistic), then get traded and become a good player at that point (or sink like Kaberle)!

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I thought he was going to be the voice of reason there and say that it was way too early to make comparisons. Guess not.

I did like how he shut them up about Nylander easily being the best player if he goes to the World Juniors though. 

I'm glad he did say that, It kind if felt as if he was pandering to the listeners by making the comparison to begin with.  I like how he also said McCann should be there with Virtanen. 

Archived