The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jets Ladd, Buf + Trouba asking $152M

Mackcanuck

They've got a couple of big name RFAs in Sheifele and Lowry too. No way they manage to sign them all.

The Canucks should take advantage of this terrible situation. Surely the Jets can only sign two of those 3 plus their RFAs.

Trouba asking for 7M for 8 years is a bit rediculous but to be honest, with the cap going up 3M that's equivalent to the Edler deal when he signed it way back when. For a young guy, it's not as crazy as it sounds.

Byfuglien at 31 years old asking for almost 7M for 8 years is stupid. There's no way he keeps up his strong physical play for 4 more years let alone 8. The same can be said for Ladd.

If I were Canucks management I'd be having a strong hard look at Trouba. Young, big, strong physical right handed defenceman who's still very young and could become the perfect partner for Hutton over the next decade. The Canucks have around 15M in cap-space this offseason with Hamhuis and Vbrata etc. leaving.

I say go crazy, give Trouba 8M for 6 years but no NTC. Leaves us 7M to sign one top-6 forward and a depth defenceman.

---

(Ideal world):

Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd for Hamonic

Sign Trouba to a 6 year, 8M deal to snag him from anywhere else

Sign Loui Eriksson or Okposo to a 6.5M deal, 3 or 4ish years

Re-sign Bartkowski as the depth defenceman

Let just about all our UFAs walk except Baertschi, Bartkowski (Biega, Pedan, Vey, Cracknell for Utica or relative replacements)

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson/Okposo

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - McCann - Hansen

Dorsett - Horvat - Virtanen

Edler - Hamonic

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - Trouba

Bartkowski

Call me crazy but there's a team that can contend physically and skill-wise with the best in the West. Our defence gets a lot bigger/stronger and our forwards all get a year older and better. Definately a playoff team.

20 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They've got a couple of big name RFAs in Sheifele and Lowry too. No way they manage to sign them all.

The Canucks should take advantage of this terrible situation. Surely the Jets can only sign two of those 3 plus their RFAs.

Trouba asking for 7M for 8 years is a bit rediculous but to be honest, with the cap going up 3M that's equivalent to the Edler deal when he signed it way back when. For a young guy, it's not as crazy as it sounds.

Byfuglien at 31 years old asking for almost 7M for 8 years is stupid. There's no way he keeps up his strong physical play for 4 more years let alone 8. The same can be said for Ladd.

If I were Canucks management I'd be having a strong hard look at Trouba. Young, big, strong physical right handed defenceman who's still very young and could become the perfect partner for Hutton over the next decade. The Canucks have around 15M in cap-space this offseason with Hamhuis and Vbrata etc. leaving.

I say go crazy, give Trouba 8M for 6 years but no NTC. Leaves us 7M to sign one top-6 forward and a depth defenceman.

---

(Ideal world):

Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd for Hamonic

Sign Trouba to a 6 year, 8M deal to snag him from anywhere else

Sign Loui Eriksson or Okposo to a 6.5M deal, 3 or 4ish years

Re-sign Bartkowski as the depth defenceman

Let just about all our UFAs walk except Baertschi, Bartkowski (Biega, Pedan, Vey, Cracknell for Utica or relative replacements)

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson/Okposo

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - McCann - Hansen

Dorsett - Horvat - Virtanen

Edler - Hamonic

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - Trouba

Bartkowski

Call me crazy but there's a team that can contend physically and skill-wise with the best in the West. Our defence gets a lot bigger/stronger and our forwards all get a year older and better. Definately a playoff team.

8 mill per for the 21-year old? Shea Weber's current contract is $7,857,143....And why did you put him in the bottom pairing?

35 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

8 mill per for the 21-year old? Shea Weber's current contract is $7,857,143....And why did you put him in the bottom pairing?

Trouba's primed for a breakout, the cap rising means that 8M in next years cap is far less than 7.8M whenever Weber signed proportionally. I'd start him as a bottom pairing guy but over the following years he'd obviously slowly surpass Tanev and Hamonic for minutes.

I know 8M for a 30 point defenceman sounds like a lot but we're going to have to over pay to get UFAs to come to Vancouver nowadays. He's worth about 6M tops to be completely honest, and should sign for 6M with a playoff/contending team, but because the Canucks absolutely suck this season and everyone knows that, we'll have to pay the premium. Long gone are the 2011 days where UFAs would love to come to Vancouver for a price cut. Trouba will get 7M by some fool on the market this off-season which is why we have to pay that little bit extra.

Besides, we've got the money, might as well spend it.

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Trouba's primed for a breakout, the cap rising means that 8M in next years cap is far less than 7.8M whenever Weber signed proportionally. I'd start him as a bottom pairing guy but over the following years he'd obviously slowly surpass Tanev and Hamonic for minutes.

I know 8M for a 30 point defenceman sounds like a lot but we're going to have to over pay to get UFAs to come to Vancouver nowadays. He's worth about 6M tops to be completely honest, and should sign for 6M with a playoff/contending team, but because the Canucks absolutely suck this season and everyone knows that, we'll have to pay the premium. Long gone are the 2011 days where UFAs would love to come to Vancouver for a price cut. Trouba will get 7M by some fool on the market this off-season which is why we have to pay that little bit extra.

Besides, we've got the money, might as well spend it.

Do you realize the type of compensation we'd have to give up for that?

Two firsts, a second and third-round picks

You're right that does sound crazy....No thanks...

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you realize the type of compensation we'd have to give up for that?

Two firsts, a second and third-round picks

You're right that does sound crazy....No thanks...

My bad, thought he was a UFA not an RFA.

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole then. Hopefully Winnipeg bite and they leave Byfuglien on the table.

40 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

My bad, thought he was a UFA not an RFA.

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole then. Hopefully Winnipeg bite and they leave Byfuglien on the table.

You responded to a post that mentioned his age and you still thought he was a ufa?

Trouba has no leverage here as for Ladd and Buff I agree with others in that those demands will come down. If they don't come down then chevy trades them at the deadline for 1st rounders and or prospects.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

You mentioned his age in an earlier post and you still thought he was a ufa?

Trouba has no leverage here as for Ladd and Buff I agree with others in that those demands will come down. If they don't come down then chevy trades them at the deadline for 1st rounders and or prospects.

Obviously no one's going to put an offer sheet for a 7M defenceman and I'm sure they know that too, so if Trouba is going to be traded then signed you'd have to think asking price would be built around a 20 minute defenceman + 1st rounder, or 20 minute defenceman + depth forward + 2nd rounder. I'd be happy to pay that price.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Obviously no one's going to put an offer sheet for a 7M defenceman and I'm sure they know that too, so if Trouba is going to be traded then signed you'd have to think asking price would be built around a 20 minute defenceman + 1st rounder, or 20 minute defenceman + depth forward + 2nd rounder. I'd be happy to pay that price.

Again chevy holds all the cards. Trouba doesn't hold hardly any cards other then sitting out and if he gets a offer sheet chevy can match.

Buff and Ladd demands are reasonable. 

Trouba on the other hand is out of his mind. $7 million for a guy who's proven nothing? Idc if he's young or has potential, show something. Either he takes a bridge deal 3-4 years for $3-4 mill or he goes long term at $4-5 mill. If not, cya later and welcome Hamonic.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

Can't blame 29-31 year olds looking for security in their late 30's. I'm sure if we all played in the NHL, and were pending UFA's at that age, we would want a long term contract.

Most certainly. However from chevy's point of view it might be smarter to deal them at the deadline if there demands don't come down. I like both those players especially Ladd, that being said though both those players might not be a smart longterm investment for Winnipeg especially at the asking prices.

Archived