The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McCann should be sent to WJC.

homersexual

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Gives some Utica guys a chance for a 5 game stint in the NHL as a reward and to see what they can bring...who knows what might show up?

At this point, we don't have enough even close to NHL level guys to call up from Utica with Hank out now. Plus, who's going to play C for the Comets even if we started calling up guys (who aren't ready for this level)?

Unfortunately for McCann, we have too many C injuries and need warm bodies.

This is my last cut ,McCann would have got to spar with on ice the best kids in the world whom many will be in the NHL over the next 2-4 years ,It would allow him to guage his confidence, an talent wise how he stacks up an competes against other players whom he plays against the rest of his NHL life . This could be considered a rest stop for him to reflect an regain his sense of his well being as a player.As it is this appears not to be going to happen now. Then WD needs to give him 14-17 minutes of game time an switch up his line mates with more sprinkle of talent on wings who can bury the puck into back of the net.

ITs on management an coaching now if he takes the next big steps up in responsibility an delivers the goods in a $&!# show enviroment that is is right now

Just now, J.R. said:

At this point, we don't have enough even close to NHL level guys to call up from Utica with Hank out now. Plus, who's going to play C for the Comets even if we started calling up guys (who aren't ready for this level)?

Unfortunately for McCann, we have too many C injuries and need warm bodies.

You make it sound like McCann is disappointed with staying on the big club.  Do you have indication he feels this way?  It's too bad if he's talking like that.:(  I really like this kid.

Just now, Alflives said:

You make it sound like McCann is disappointed with staying on the big club.  Do you have indication he feels this way?  It's too bad if he's talking like that.:(  I really like this kid.

Not my intention. I say 'unfortunately for him' as I believe it would have been a great experience for him especially if the Canucks were not injury riddled and we could have called a guy up to play in his 3/4C spot.

No Hank, no Sutter....right now he's our 2C and we haven't healthy depth to replace him = unfortunately no freedom to send him to a cool, worthwhile experience.

Henrik might not come back to form if he is rushed on his injury. Horvat is now technically our number 1 center, the Canucks can not afford McCann to go to the WJC. The Canucks pretty much has an equivalent to an AHL line up of centers, What I would love to see though is a Daniel - McCann - Vrbata line. The was Daniel can set them up with their shots, love to see.

Not surprised. This team has been screwing up player development for years.

Lets force a 19 year old into a top 6 position while he's already struggling on a bad team because we failed to give the team any center depth. Great call.

Way to take away the kids dream of representing his country because you are delusional enough to think this team is going to make the playoffs, and that he's actually making a difference right now.

Their reasoning was probably that they didn't want to hurt Utica too much by calling up both of their top centers.

I say who cares, that's BS. The whole point of having a farm team is to serve the needs of the parent club. If we need players to call up we do it, and they can figure out how to adapt.

16 minutes ago, helpsu2score said:

Maybe McCann would rather stay in the NHL than go play for a jr team.

Not based on what I heard in his interview. He kept saying it was his dream to play in that tournament. But of course players have to say the right thing and say the team comes first.

It's not just a junior team, it's the best players in the world of his age group. If the Leafs think Nylander would benefit from that tournament, the Canucks are crazy to think McCann shouldn't be there.

It'd be different if he was a big part of our success right now but he's not. He's not putting up points, winning faceoffs, or even really getting many chances. And going up against tougher competition and playing more minutes means he's at risk of getting injured more.

Sorry, but this decision makes no sense for me. It's management being afraid that it would somehow look like throwing in the towel if they were to plug in two AHLers. Yet somehow playing a 19 year old in the top 6 instills confidence in the fan base.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Not based on what I heard in his interview. He kept saying it was his dream to play in that tournament. But of course players have to say the right thing and say the team comes first.

It's not just a junior team, it's the best players in the world of his age group. If the Leafs think Nylander would benefit from that tournament, the Canucks are crazy to think McCann shouldn't be there.

It'd be different if he was a big part of our success right now but he's not. He's not putting up points, winning faceoffs, or even really getting many chances. And going up against tougher competition and playing more minutes means he's at risk of getting injured more.

Sorry, but this decision makes no sense for me. It's management being afraid that it would somehow look like throwing in the towel if they were to plug in two AHLers. Yet somehow playing a 19 year old in the top 6 instills confidence in the fan base.

If Hank was healthy,I get the feeling that he might have got the opportunity....and yes,to management would look like they were throwing in the towel on the season..Would that be a good idea,with 50 games still to go.?

Despite the fact that he's not putting up points,I think his game is coming along.....It would have been exciting for him no doubt..,but I don't buy into the "it's going to wreck his development and confidence" if he doesn't go.

Just now, RRypien37 said:

There has been nothing official from the Canucks, only TSN.

I will hold back my disappointment till I hear it from the team. 

It's true they never quoted anyone. Sounded like Dreger may have been jumping the gun based on the Hank injury.

It's not always a good idea to take TSN's word for it. Farhan Lalji is a good example of this.

If we don't hear an announcement after the game, we can assume he's staying.

Just now, DeNiro said:

It's true they never quoted anyone. Sounded like Dreger may have been jumping the gun based on the Hank injury.

It's not always a good idea to take TSN's word for it. Farhan Lalji is a good example of this.

If we don't hear an announcement after the game, we can assume he's staying.

I think they will announce what ever their decision is regardless. I'm thinking it will be on the actual deadline day, which would be tomorrow. 

I just hope JB makes the right move, a move that should be made regardless of the Hank injury. 

Archived