The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Trevor Daley to Penguins for Rob Scuderi

Scuderi has very little gas left in the tank, but he'll be in the press box a lot of the time probably. Gustafsson will probably get sent up and down when there's injuries. Scuderi will be more of a mentor most likely and if he adapts to Q's system well, then he might be a useful cog in an intense playoff series. 

Daley could turn it around, but I doubt he ever reaches 10 goal pace again unless he's on an insane PP. 

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

So essentially... Hawks traded Sharp away for nothing. Brutal. I think I may have found a GM worse at trading than Benning. 

Man, if your idea of a bad GM is winning 3 stanley cups in the past 5 years, I'd gladly see Benning as being a worse GM....

7 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

The fact that Bowman isn't afraid to admit he's wrong and move on fairly quickly is a sign of a good GM IMO. Oh yeah, 3 cups is a pretty good sign too. 

Look how fast Benning moved on Kesler, and with a decent return no less (given the circumstances). How long would that have taken Gillis? lol

36 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Basically the Pens owe a 4.45M cap hit per year for Daley, for this year and next, if you include Scuderi's retained salary as part of Daley's price. High-risk for that much cap IMO. 

yep - Pitt doing what Pitt does - chase after more and more 'upside' while remaining a fundamentally imbalanced franchise.

14 hours ago, Darth Kane said:

Generally speaking Daley is the better defenseman. But in Chicago's system Daley wasn't getting the job done. Daley did some things well with the puck, but he was a nightmare in the defensive zone. 

One area Chicago needs to improve this season is the PK. Scuderi will help with the PK and Daley wasn't playing on the special teams. 

With the emergence of TvR as a top 4 d-man in Chicago neither Daley or Scuderi was/will be more than a 3rd pairing defenseman. So at least Chicago saves $1 million in cap space. 

Hopefully Daley has more success in Pittsburgh. I think he's a decent defenseman but he's wasn't the right fit in Chicago. 

I've noticed that Chicago's bottom-4 defensemen are generally stifled offensively. I don't know if it's deployment and strategy specific to the bottom-4, or if it's team-wide, and Keith and Seabrook are even better than we think.

For evidence of this, look at Brian Campbell and Johnny Oduya's career stats. Both dipped noticeably when with the Hawks (save for Campbell's first year, when he was their #1 D-man, and I believe still under a different coach).

So I believe Daley's production will go up in Pittsburgh. He'll still be an adventure in his own end, though.

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

yep - Pitt doing what Pitt does - chase after more and more 'upside' while remaining a fundamentally imbalanced franchise.

It's almost as if Pittsburgh is saying "we have Malkin and Crosby. So we have lots of offence. So let's build around that offence and screw the defence!"

On 12/15/2015 at 8:44 PM, Drakrami said:

Shoulda gotten picks for Daley... As someone already said, top 4 guy on the right team. 

So essentially... Hawks traded Sharp away for nothing. Brutal. I think I may have found a GM worse at trading than Benning. 

This is hilarious. Have you considered being a comedian?

On December 15, 2015 at 11:56 PM, The Lock said:

Look how fast Benning moved on Kesler, and with a decent return no less (given the circumstances). How long would that have taken Gillis? lol

Well, considering he took almost two years to trade Luongo, Kesler would probably still be a Canuck right now. 

Archived