The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian reinstated

Mackcanuck

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Some people are comfortable with predicting the future, while some of us prefer a "wait and see" approach.

I don't want to speak for Maniwaki, but I assume that his suggestion was with the caveat that Kassian demonstrate a change in attitude and a commitment to sobriety.

He's in his mid twenties, and had a lot of chances to reform.  Plus, he's had top level treatment, and still made the choice to do drugs.  I hope the young man does stay clean, but I don't expect it.  im afraid his story will come to tragic end.  

On 12/15/2015 at 8:37 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger  4m4 minutes ago

A number of success stories have emerged from the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse Program. Here's hoping Zack Kassian is another one.

CWR7_X0WwAEVLa-.jpg

Quite honestly I can't think of one "success story". Care to name a few?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He's in his mid twenties, and had a lot of chances to reform.  Plus, he's had top level treatment, and still made the choice to do drugs.  I hope the young man does stay clean, but I don't expect it.  im afraid his story will come to tragic end.  

As is your right. Personally, when I have no idea of what the future holds, I tend to hope for the best instead of predicting the worst outcome.

Different strokes, I suppose....

28 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As is your right. Personally, when I have no idea of what the future holds, I tend to hope for the best instead of predicting the worst outcome.

Different strokes, I suppose....

Yup, you see the glass as 1/16th. Full.  I see it otherwise.

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you suggesting we sign him?  He's an addict, who will most likely never recover.  It's sad, because we all loved the guy, but it's true.

Love how you have already written him off.

He's an addict that will most likely never recover .

Ok there Dr Phil

Here's my problem with all the negative Nancie's in this thread. It seems like, and it's not just with this instance but ANY instance where a player has fallen to temptation, that somehow because this individual played or still plays in the NHL they somehow by default should be less prone to these temptations than anyone else. Ostensibly you're putting them on such a pedestal that they rise above mere mortals.

The simple fact is this, they are people just like you and I, and like everyone else. They just have more resources and opportunity available to them. An NHL player getting caught smuggling narcotics, or getting caught up in the web of substance abuse is no different than than Joe Schmoe alcoholic, or Penny Pill Packer.

What I'm hinting at is, the seeds for that temptation are with us no matter who we are, or what our job is. How much, or how little money we may possess. It's a fine line, and sometimes the difference is being born into a stable family vs not. How we're raised, and the support we receive during that period shapes us into who we will be as adults. Sometimes, even people born into good families to dumb idiotic things.

We shouldn't think of them as any different as the guy robbing a convenience store out of desperation to feed himself or his family. I don't blame Kassian, and I hope he makes a comeback. I was never the guys biggest fan, but then I was never aware the depths of issue Kassian face while he was here.

11 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

Here's my problem with all the negative Nancie's in this thread. It seems like, and it's not just with this instance but ANY instance where a player has fallen to temptation, that somehow because this individual played or still plays in the NHL they somehow by default should be less prone to these temptations than anyone else. Ostensibly you're putting them on such a pedestal that they rise above mere mortals.

The simple fact is this, they are people just like you and I, and like everyone else. They just have more resources and opportunity available to them. An NHL player getting caught smuggling narcotics, or getting caught up in the web of substance abuse is no different than than Joe Schmoe alcoholic, or Penny Pill Packer.

What I'm hinting at is, the seeds for that temptation are with us no matter who we are, or what our job is. How much, or how little money we may possess. It's a fine line, and sometimes the difference is being born into a stable family vs not. How we're raised, and the support we receive during that period shapes us into who we will be as adults. Sometimes, even people born into good families to dumb idiotic things.

We shouldn't think of them as any different as the guy robbing a convenience store out of desperation to feed himself or his family. I don't blame Kassian, and I hope he makes a comeback. I was never the guys biggest fan, but then I was never aware the depths of issue Kassian face while he was here.

I have experienced living with a drug addict who would stay up all night, making all sorts of noirse being a thorn in my side, and then chirp me as i put on my work boots in the morning to walk 6k (my car was out of insurance and I couldn't pay the bills at the time) the next morning most likely minutes after snorting a line. 

There are those who simply are "evil" human beings and take pride in the suffering of others. The best course of action is to avoid them as best you can and let them dig their own graves without affecting you (as we saw the Canucks did and Montreal is doing). That's not to say Kassian is evil, but he definitely couldn't care less about his own life or how it negatively affects those depending on him and his services.

4 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

Yes, and many people have conquered their demons and went on to lead productive lives. Sometimes people need to face up to what is causing their behavior and deal with it. They also need to recognize their triggers and find ways to deflect the impulses. Some people don't talk about past issues with acquaintances. I think we'd be surprised how many people we know that have moved past drug and alcohol abuse. To assume that Kassian is incapable of doing the same is idiotic.

1 minute ago, Drewismyname said:

I have experienced living with a drug addict who would stay up all night, and then chirp me as i put on my work boots in the morning to walk 6k (my car was out of insurance and I couldn't pay the bills at the time) the next morning most likely minutes after snorting a line. 

There are those who simply are "evil" human beings and take pride in the suffering of others. 

That goes without saying, however the odds of those types of people making it through minor hockey, into juniors, getting drafted and make the NHL are probably pretty slim.

Since that's likely the case, I made a reasonable assumption that Kassian, or any other player who've done stupid things in their lives are simply misguided.

9 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

That goes without saying, however the odds of those types of people making it through minor hockey, into juniors, getting drafted and make the NHL are probably pretty slim.

Since that's likely the case, I made a reasonable assumption that Kassian, or any other player who've done stupid things in their lives are simply misguided.

He's definitely misguided. Though he made most of his strides as a minor with his larger frame and ability. Seems as though once he got to the NHL and started making the big bucks and had the freedom to do what he pleased, his misguided upbringing started to show. 

It's most definitely a confusing topic. I would be happy if Zack pulled through. The sad part is the true challenges are after you get rid of the booze and drugs. When you're trying to prove to the world you are more than that after gaining that as a reputation and only having to live up to that low of a standard. Those around you who have benefited from your shortcomings will fight it (which goes to show not only addicts are evil), not wanting you to be more than their pet etc. It will be quite the undertaking if he decides to try to overcome the life he has allowed himself to live, knowingly or unknowingly, as misguided as it obviously was. 

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Yes, and many people have conquered their demons and went on to lead productive lives. Sometimes people need to face up to what is causing their behavior and deal with it. They also need to recognize their triggers and find ways to deflect the impulses. Some people don't talk about past issues with acquaintances. I think we'd be surprised how many people we know that have moved past drug and alcohol abuse. To assume that Kassian is incapable of doing the same is idiotic.

You made good points here, then lost me with that "idiotic" comment. Saying that just proves ignorance, you don't know the guy, you're basing your assumption of unrelated and out of context pieces of information. I'm not saying he's capable of winning the Nobel prize for Physics, but to hinge everything he's done on him being of sub-par intelligence makes you look like a fool.

How many 24 year olds do you know that have been sage guru's of wisdom and propriety? The guy is literally 6 years out of HIGH SCHOOL, I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact how quickly and how young some of these players hit the spotlight. My god, at 24 I was still doing things that I look back on now and shake my head -- I was young and I was having fun. But now, being 10 years older, having a wife and a kid, I've grown up and no longer do those things.

You're indicting an individual simply because he hasn't had the opportunity yet of gaining real world life experience, I would bet that this experience could be a large cornerstone to him turning his life around. It could entail still being in the NHL, or it could not. He could still realize his potential, or he could forever be a bottom 6 grinder. Point is, you can't speak of wisdom, and the precedent of what others have done, when 1) He hasn't been afforded the time to meet that precedent, and 2) When you have no wisdom yourself.

-- Scathing diatribe aside, I misread your quote entirely. I was never assuming he couldn't turn it around, I was simply highlighting the fact that just because he is or was in the NHL doesn't make him any more impervious to what literally millions of other people have had to deal with. I see now that the idiotic comment was not targeted at Kassian, but seemingly at me; so this is the reason I left my original reply to you intact.

16 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

You made good points here, then lost me with that "idiotic" comment. Saying that just proves ignorance, you don't know the guy, you're basing your assumption of unrelated and out of context pieces of information. I'm not saying he's capable of winning the Nobel prize for Physics, but to hinge everything he's done on him being of sub-par intelligence makes you look like a fool.

How many 24 year olds do you know that have been sage guru's of wisdom and propriety? The guy is literally 6 years out of HIGH SCHOOL, I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact how quickly and how young some of these players hit the spotlight. My god, at 24 I was still doing things that I look back on now and shake my head -- I was young and I was having fun. But now, being 10 years older, having a wife and a kid, I've grown up and no longer do those things.

You're indicting an individual simply because he hasn't had the opportunity yet of gaining real world life experience, I would bet that this experience could be a large cornerstone to him turning his life around. It could entail still being in the NHL, or it could not. He could still realize his potential, or he could forever be a bottom 6 grinder. Point is, you can't speak of wisdom, and the precedent of what others have done, when 1) He hasn't been afforded the time to meet that precedent, and 2) When you have no wisdom yourself.

-- Scathing diatribe aside, I misread your quote entirely. I was never assuming he couldn't turn it around, I was simply highlighting the fact that just because he is or was in the NHL doesn't make him any more impervious to what literally millions of other people have had to deal with. I see now that the idiotic comment was not targeted at Kassian, but seemingly at me; so this is the reason I left my original reply to you intact.

There seems to be a segment of Canucks fans who feel the need to denigrate all Canucks players who have been let go or traded. They wallow in the fact that Kassian has hit bottom and want to assume that he will never get past his issues. That comment was directed at them, not you. Personally, I hope that Kassian gets a hold on his issues and becomes a solid NHLer. He has the skills, he just needs to get his head right. I am not assuming that he will like some are assuming that he won't. Good luck Zack!!!

1 hour ago, Drewismyname said:

I have experienced living with a drug addict who would stay up all night, making all sorts of noirse being a thorn in my side, and then chirp me as i put on my work boots in the morning to walk 6k (my car was out of insurance and I couldn't pay the bills at the time) the next morning most likely minutes after snorting a line. 

There are those who simply are "evil" human beings and take pride in the suffering of others. The best course of action is to avoid them as best you can and let them dig their own graves without affecting you (as we saw the Canucks did and Montreal is doing). That's not to say Kassian is evil, but he definitely couldn't care less about his own life or how it negatively affects those depending on him and his services.

I think you have a skewed vision of what "evil" is.

2 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

What the hell are you talking about? How in the world do you bring the notion of "evil" into a discussion about a 20-something who is suffering from substance abuse problems?

Evil is kidnapping and abusing a child or blowing up a fruit market full of innocent civilians. Someone who is struggling through drug addiction and "chirps" you while you put on your work boots is not "evil". 

Wow.

On 12/19/2015 at 9:41 AM, Drewismyname said:

Wow they guy was a passenger in an accident was not driving and all of a sudden he is Ted F*n Bundy

Archived