The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

I think Kassian would work well with McCann.  Both are good passers, Kass can go on the forecheck.  Plus if any thug tries to maul McCann at the end of a game (Ducks) i doubt Zack will stand around and watch like that cast of pink purses they had on the ice that night.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

True, but there is also the matter of our team getting pushed around - and guys taking runs at our young players without fear of our middleweights pushing back.

I think Zack has enough upside to warrant a third line RW role for example.

You don't get sure things on waivers btw - waivers is by definition not the place for surety.  I'd take the chance on him not being a sure thing - but I'd agree - I'd probably bet against Benning claiming him.

This is true.  I'm sure any moves we make will be trades or call-ups.  I do like Zack, and I'm rooting for him, I agree he has upside. 

As for guys taking runs at our young players and our team getting pushed around, what the hell do we have Dorsett and Prust for?  We need to add scoring as well as toughness....or perhaps both at the same time ::D

9 minutes ago, theminister said:

Interesting to read these replies...

what are your beliefs about the individual reactions in the locker room if he was claimed by us?

You'd have to assume some would be positive and others would be negative but I wonder which way the majority would lean? 

Good point. It might create some some confusion and a lack of confidence in management moving forward. If management starts appearing indecisive and looking like they are questioning their own decisions, it can't bode well for the lockeroom. Probably make ownership do a double take as well.  

14 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

This Kassian love fest headed by PhillipBlunt is nauseating. Move on, he ain't coming back.

Wish Big Kass the best of luck in the future and in the nhl but it won't be with us.

Aw poor 24K pure cool. Take some gravol and go to bed. Maybe when you wake up you'll realize that the nausea is self-inflicted.

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I think Kassian would work well with McCann.  Both are good passers, Kass can go on the forecheck.  Plus if any thug tries to maul McCann at the end of a game (Ducks) i doubt Zack will stand around and watch like that cast of pink purses they had on the ice that night.

Very good point - and I agree, I think their games would complement each other, particularly with Zack's vision and hands, and McCann's outstanding release.  They could be pretty deadly on the rush as well.  A solid two way veteran LW - which we have in Burrows, Higgins - and you have the makings of a good line.

Can he really be worse for this team than Weber?  If Virtanen does indeed go back to juniors after and or McCaan we'll need a body at the forward position and Kassian knows the team, knows the drills and plays.

If the absolute WORSE case scenario is we pick him up and he chugs along adding 10 whole points for the rest of the season and 2 solid scraps with the added benefit of keeping teams from roughing up the twins or McCaan

What frigging harm could it do?  We're not exactly lighting the league up right now with our whole 11 wins on the season to begin with.

Added...imagine the Oilers picking him up and having to defend against him and Draisatl or McJesus

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Can he really be worse for this team than Weber?  If Virtanen does indeed go back to juniors after and or McCaan we'll need a body at the forward position and Kassian knows the team, knows the drills and plays.

If the absolute WORSE case scenario is we pick him up and he chugs along adding 10 whole points for the rest of the season and 2 solid scraps with the added benefit of keeping teams from roughing up the twins or McCaan

What frigging harm could it do?  We're not exactly lighting the league up right now with our whole 11 wins on the season to begin with.

Added...imagine the Oilers picking him up and having to defend against him and Draisatl or McJesus

Shhh...some posters, well one really whiny one, can't take anymore positive talk about a former Canuck.

It wouldn't hurt at all. And by the way, no one is worse for the Canucks than Weber, not even Vey......Yeah I said it.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Very good point - and I agree, I think their games would complement each other, particularly with Zack's vision and hands, and McCann's outstanding release.  They could be pretty deadly on the rush as well.  A solid two way veteran LW - which we have in Burrows, Higgins - and you have the makings of a good line.

Remember when Zack and Booth played together? Zack set him up on so many point blank shots it was amazing.  I think if a guy like McCann was on the receiving end of those passes it will be gold.  Plus he can do some of the heavy work on the boards.

It would be a combo with lots of potential. 

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah it is self-inflicted. Inflected by choosing to read this thread that is.

Shoot. That's comic gold, right there!

What is really impressive is how you managed to misspell inflicted RIGHT AFTER spelling it correctly.

You do need some rest.

1 minute ago, Canorth said:

Good point. It might create some some confusion and a lack of confidence in management moving forward. If management starts appearing indecisive and looking like they are questioning their own decisions - can't bode well for the franchise. Probably make ownership do a double take as well.  

I don't think it would indicate those things at all - I think it would be a case of taking advantage of a timely opportunity, and making a risk/gain/loss assessment in this particular context.

Again, not many people expect or think Benning will make a claim - but if they did, I personally would support it - I don't think it's a significant risk and I don't think it would say anything negative in particular about this management group.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

While Weber's play may indicate he's on drugs I am fairly certain he's not.

Kass has 2 strikes already. How many gm's want him on their roster for strike 3?

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Bingo.  Honestly can't see how unintentional-tank-nation could have issue with the potential 'downside' lol.

8 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Remember when Zack and Booth played together? Zack set him up on so many point blank shots it was amazing.  I think if a guy like McCann was on the receiving end of those passes it will be gold.  Plus he can do some of the heavy work on the boards.

It would be a combo with lots of potential. 

Yeah I'd love to see that.

Who knows - Zack may have received a wakeup scare in that accident - one that made they young man rethink some of his decision making.  He is approaching that point - around 25 yrs - where your excess energy - both mental and physical - can tend to start to transition into (whatever you  want to call it - actual adulthood) - although certainly not without exception lol.

I'd love nothing more than to have the guy back at virtually no asset risk and see him turn his potential into an NHL career.   If he did that on McCann's wing - well perfect.

McCann actually also seems to have the kind of backbone that would make for good comlementary chemistry with Zack.  He could maintain that edge he has - with backup.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Yeah I'd love to see that.

Who knows - Zack may have received a wakeup scare in that accident - one that made they young man rethink some of his decision making.  He is approaching that point - around 25 yrs - where your excess energy - both mental and physical - starts to transition into (whatever you  want to call it - actual adulthood).

I'd love nothing more than to have the guy back at virtually no asset risk and see him turn his potential into an NHL career.   If he did that on McCann's wing - well perfect.

McCann actually also seems to have the kind of backbone that would make for good comlementary chemistry with Zack.  He could maintain that edge he has - with backup.

Put yourself in Zack's shoes. Would you want to return to the scene of the crime (well one of them) so to speak. Or would you want a fresh start in a new city? Preferably a non Canadian one where you won't constantly be questioned about your past.

Archived