The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

I do not argue that he was willing to stand up for his teammates even though he's not really a fighter. But he also put going out partying before the team and his teammates, so it's kind of a wash. Look, I like Zack but it's not lost on me that we had to pay a 5th round pick to be able to trade a much more talented player for a much less talented player. That is because teams have issue with his character, and yes drugs and partying are part of it but not all of it. A forced stint in rehab isn't going to and shouldn't change that.

The point I'm trying to make is Benning is trying to change the culture here. Less drama, more heart. Though some disagree with me, that is the only area I feel he's been consistent and successful at so far in his time here. It would only add more confusion to what he is trying to accomplish here by bringing zack back.

People can change. He has been in rehab for over 10 weeks. He wouldn't have been released unless the Drug Rehabilitation Program co-coordinators thought he had a handle on his issues. The real question is how good of shape he is in. That will be what many teams will be looking at when considering whether to put in a claim or not. They also have to take into account their roster and cap considerations. If he has put his issues behind him, he could be a valuable asset to whichever team takes a chance on him.

I would like him back. What harm can it do? Worst case, we sit him in the press box until he gets into game shape as he practices with the team or put him back on waivers if he doesn't improve.

Downside is that he will be eating up 2 million dollars of the cap but it doesn't look like we are going to be needing that anyways for this season and it expires next season.

This thread is hilarious. We have an inconsistent Kassian for years, during which he develops a problem that is kept on the ultra down-low. Then JB ships him to Montreal where he almost immediately is involved in a dangerous late night/early morning incident with woman who was allegedly drinking was also driving his vehicle.

Marc Bergevin may be a bit of a hard ass on his guys, but he definitely wants one thing, and he claims to have made it clear to the entire team, including Kassian, at training camp:

" Every training camp, I talk to our team, to our young players, that Montreal … like any other city, we are professionals and we have to behave like professionals. You have to be respectful and you’re lucky to be a hockey player. I’m a firm believer in character and that’s really a lack of character and judgment on his part.”

Whatever issues Kassian had here obviously carried over to Montreal. Without even knowing how he has done in rehab and where his head is at there sure are a lot of people willing to roll the dice on him so soon after JB dumped him for having a poor showing on and off the ice only months ago.

Pass on Kass. Good luck to ya' though. 

2 hours ago, Zuongo said:

Can't believe you guys are trying to justify bringing him back. We don't need a coke head in the lockeroom. His teammates obviously had issues with it.

.. Are you too young? .. Or just naive to think that cocaine, drugs and alcohol have had no history in hockey?   .. Ever heard of Derek Sanderson? .. How about the Oilers "Dynasty".. hell their present owner was rumored to be their supplier..  I even question how dilated J.Toews eyes are in the playoffs..  and what about Patrick Kane,. he did physically assault a cab driver.. Did he do "step one"?  ..he wasnt drunk?  .. He was just young and naive? .. But its ok,. Kane is excepted.   ??:huh:

One day, someone with balls will write the book.

Kassian is worth saving,.  but you seem to want to put the bullet in the gun and hand it to him..   What would YOU have offered Rick Rypien i wonder?  

Hockey is not bigger than life,... But I think Mr Kassian may have more to offer in this lifetime than anyone can understand.. Especially here. 

Haha I literally called this in the original Kassian Trade thread in July. I knew he would be on his way to the AHL before the end of the year, and that he was definitely a complete bust. No one is claiming this guy when he has to be babysat 24/7. It would be worth it for a team if he was good but he is a mediocre grinder at best and he will have a decent pro career in the AHL. Dale Freaking Weise is a better NHL winger. Best part is most of you didn't see that coming, especially if you had been asked this a couple years ago. 

The only former Canuck in Montreal Benning should have any interest in is Dutch Gretzky.

All the while respecting patient confidentiality, I would talk to the league's program first to see where Kassian is at and what has been done.

I would definitely take the big lug back and make sure he's in the same room as Prust. His salary could be further justified.

Glad to see all the love for Zack here but there is just no way he's coming back here.  Remember all the stuff Benning said about him after the deal?  You can't put that toothpaste back in the tube again.  This has nothing to do with whether he could help us or whether he's a legit player, it's about a bridge that got burned at both ends. I was a huge supporter back in the day and still wish him well but it's over.  Edmonton is a likely destination, as many have been saying, so we'll have plenty of chances to revisit this soap opera. 

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

Lucic - Carter - Kassian...would murder the Pacific

Yes as recent history has proven, cocaine is a hell of a drug that leads to stanley cup victories. 

Right now we are getting hammered by the Wild, havent noticed the "toughness and leadership" of Prust yet. Dors as always shows up.

I think at this point I would rather watch Kassian on Coke play the 3rd line than our current soft, say and do nothing players. 

16 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yes as recent history has proven, cocaine is a hell of a drug that leads to stanley cup victories. 

Right now we are getting hammered by the Wild, havent noticed the "toughness and leadership" of Prust yet. Dors as always shows up.

I think at this point I would rather watch Kassian on Coke play the 3rd line than our current soft, say and do nothing players. 

ok nevermind

Archived