The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

9 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Richie, I believe said that too after they hanged out last year.

I didn't know that.  Clearly Zack was into stuff that was more than just alcohol and having fun that way.  I don't know what his drug of choice was, but it must have been a bad one, and his friends, teammates, and family certainly tried to help him - sadly without success.

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He cleared (as per Elliot Friedman)

I really hope that clearing waivers and being (likely) shipped back to the AHL is the final slap in the face that he needs to get back on track. I was sorry to see him leave because of his potential, but also happy to see him leave as I didn't want him around our other young players if he's not serious about hockey.

Not a single team wanted him.  People around here really underestimate the horrific effect addictions can have on an individual.  Montreal and Vancouver have the complete story on Zack and it is likely a long, adventuresome one.

Zack will toil in the AHL and hopefully continue to enlist professional help with his addictions.   Maybe he will get to play in the NHL again one day.  At the very least, I hope he conquers his demons and can have some happiness and good health in his life.

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not a single team wanted him.  People around here really underestimate the horrific effect addictions can have on an individual.  Montreal and Vancouver have the complete story on Zack and it is likely a long, adventuresome one.

Zack will toil in the AHL and hopefully continue to enlist professional help with his addictions.   Maybe he will get to play in the NHL again one day.  At the very least, I hope he conquers his demons and can have some happiness and good health in his life.

Well said

Habs send Kassian to AHL after clearing waivers, say he’s not a ‘priority’

Twenty-nine NHL clubs passed on claiming troubled Montreal forward Zack Kassian off waivers today.

And the 30th doesn’t appear to have any interest in him, either.

After the Habs announced Kassian cleared waivers and was assigned to their AHL affiliate in St. John’s, head coach Michel Therrien offered this rather blunt assessment of where the 24-year-old stood:

"There are a lot of players ahead of him right now in the organization. He's not my priority" - Michel Therrien on Zack Kassian going to AHL

Yesterday, Kassian was reinstated from Stage Two of the NHL’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program.

Almost immediately afterward, the Habs put him on waivers.

Kassian was originally placed in the SABH program on Oct. 5, and suspended without pay until clearance. That came just days after he was involved in an early morning car accident in Montreal, in which Kassian was a passenger in a SUV driven by a 20-year-old female.

Montreal police later confirmed that while speed didn’t play a factor in the collision, alcohol may have.

On Oct. 7, Vancouver GM Jim Benning — who traded Kassian to Montreal in exchange for Brandon Prust this summer — confirmed that Kassian went through Stage One of the SABH while with the Canucks.

Kassian has yet to appear in a regular-season contest for the Canadiens.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/16/habs-send-kassian-to-ahl-after-clearing-waivers-say-hes-not-a-priority/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Archived