The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

10 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

Kass was a little more than one dimensional when his game worked.  Physical, good skater, solid playmaker, nice wrist shot.  his playmaking was actually his most + skill after physicality.

Think this is what drives his coaches nuts....can you imagine if he decided to open his eyes and did all the little things to prepare and be a professional both on and off the ice?  Hope he has his moment of realization soon.  If not now then most likely never...

19 minutes ago, cocanuck said:

Think this is what drives his coaches nuts....can you imagine if he decided to open his eyes and did all the little things to prepare and be a professional both on and off the ice?  Hope he has his moment of realization soon.  If not now then most likely never...

absolutely.  he has all the tools and traits of a great power forward but not the drive to be a professional to this point.  he's got a long road back.  even if his hockey catches up fast, it will take longer to repair his rep.

I don't think kassian ever really played as a power forward he does have the tools to be that player with his size.. But if you really pay attention to how he played he seemed to be a playmaker with pretty good vision. I doubt he will ever become that type of player it's not in his game.

22 minutes ago, WillyFox said:

I don't think kassian ever really played as a power forward he does have the tools to be that player with his size.. But if you really pay attention to how he played he seemed to be a playmaker with pretty good vision. I doubt he will ever become that type of player it's not in his game.

This was definitely part of the debate back in the day.  Benning and co. demanded he be the prototypical power forward whereas Kass himself wanted to be something more like a Joe Thornton who could fight.  Beside all the other non-hockey issues, this was the one that led to his demise here.  Still think it was a huge shame that should have been avoidable, but it's over and done with now.

1 hour ago, WillyFox said:

50 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This was definitely part of the debate back in the day.  Benning and co. demanded he be the prototypical power forward whereas Kass himself wanted to be something more like a Joe Thornton who could fight.  Beside all the other non-hockey issues, this was the one that led to his demise here.  Still think it was a huge shame that should have been avoidable, but it's over and done with now.

Agreed. I argued much the same thing when the whole fiasco was in full swing.

On 12/16/2015 at 2:32 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Habs send Kassian to AHL after clearing waivers, say he’s not a ‘priority’

Twenty-nine NHL clubs passed on claiming troubled Montreal forward Zack Kassian off waivers today.

And the 30th doesn’t appear to have any interest in him, either.

After the Habs announced Kassian cleared waivers and was assigned to their AHL affiliate in St. John’s, head coach Michel Therrien offered this rather blunt assessment of where the 24-year-old stood:

"There are a lot of players ahead of him right now in the organization. He's not my priority" - Michel Therrien on Zack Kassian going to AHL

Yesterday, Kassian was reinstated from Stage Two of the NHL’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program.

Almost immediately afterward, the Habs put him on waivers.

Kassian was originally placed in the SABH program on Oct. 5, and suspended without pay until clearance. That came just days after he was involved in an early morning car accident in Montreal, in which Kassian was a passenger in a SUV driven by a 20-year-old female.

Montreal police later confirmed that while speed didn’t play a factor in the collision, alcohol may have.

On Oct. 7, Vancouver GM Jim Benning — who traded Kassian to Montreal in exchange for Brandon Prust this summer — confirmed that Kassian went through Stage One of the SABH while with the Canucks.

Kassian has yet to appear in a regular-season contest for the Canadiens.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/16/habs-send-kassian-to-ahl-after-clearing-waivers-say-hes-not-a-priority/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

i don't think we'll hear about zach again this year, unless he messes up

maybe he'll have things figured out by training camp next season

TVA Sports: Renaud Lavoie reports that some teams are interested in Zack Kassian, who recently cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL. Kassian won’t play until December 26th, with many scouts expected to be at ACC when they take on the Toronto Marlies.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/12/21/rumors-radim-vrbata-schultz-johansen/

If teams are interested, not sure why they wouldn't have just taken a flyer on him when they could have gotten him for nothing..

30 minutes ago, Robongo said:

If teams are interested, not sure why they wouldn't have just taken a flyer on him when they could have gotten him for nothing..

If a team picks someone up off of the waiver wire, they have to keep him on their roster. Kassian hasn't played any meaningful games since March of last year. A two week conditioning stint would probably not be enough to get him into game shape. Plus teams would want to make sure that he can stay off of whatever substances he was abusing. If he works hard and Montreal has injuries, he may get a look this season. If not, he will have to work hard for the rest of this season and in the off-season to earn another shot next season. He dug himself a hole and now he has to climb out of it.

39 minutes ago, Robongo said:

If they claimed him on waivers they would have had to keep him up in the NHL all season or risk losing him to waivers themselves.

By waiting for him to clear, they could dish out a conditional pick or some other near-zero value item for him and be free to move him about in the organization or keep him in the AHL.

48 minutes ago, Robongo said:

I bet it's more like interested in seeing if he keeps his nose clean and focuses on hockey rather than partying.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

If a team picks someone up off of the waiver wire, they have to keep him on their roster. Kassian hasn't played any meaningful games since March of last year. A two week conditioning stint would probably not be enough to get him into game shape. Plus teams would want to make sure that he can stay off of whatever substances he was abusing. If he works hard and Montreal has injuries, he may get a look this season. If not, he will have to work hard for the rest of this season and in the off-season to earn another shot next season. He dug himself a hole and now he has to climb out of it.

My line of thinking was that the team that puts in a claim can just waive him if it doesn't workout, so it wouldn't be good asset management to give up a pick when you can grab him for free. And a two week stint is about the length of preseason so he could, depending on the shape he is in currently, get up to speed in that time. But, I guess teams are also hesitant because he's owed a little over 800k salary for the rest of games remaining this season and not all owners would be ok with that gamble.

1 hour ago, Robongo said:

My line of thinking was that the team that puts in a claim can just waive him if it doesn't workout, so it wouldn't be good asset management to give up a pick when you can grab him for free. And a two week stint is about the length of preseason so he could, depending on the shape he is in currently, get up to speed in that time. But, I guess teams are also hesitant because he's owed a little over 800k salary for the rest of games remaining this season and not all owners would be ok with that gamble.

Players also have training camp and workout in the off-season. There's no way he gets into NHL game shape in two weeks. He was also recovering from a broken ankle. He probably didn't skate the entire time he was in rehab. I'm sure all the GMs around the league took all that into account.

• b3. locked this topic

Archived