The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

Zero chance a team will claim him, imo. He's going to have to go and produce at a good clip (PPG or just below) in the AHL without any off ice problems for him to even get a league minimum offer next season. Rooting for Zack, but until he proves that he's straightened his life out, no team will risk it

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Easy for fans to say things like this without actually being a part of the team.  I don't care whether it's competitive sports or where you work- when you have someone that doesn't put the work in it can have an effect on the morale of the team and becomes a distraction.  

True. The same could be applied to Matthias, Sbisa, and other players who didn't play consistently or up to their assumed potential.

Only the Sedins are enough?  They should have to babysit everyone?

To set an example of how to play. Where did you get the babysitting analogy from? Again Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton aren't five year olds running around needing their noses wiped and crusts cut off their sandwiches. These are young adults who have put in a lot of time honing their abilities, I don't think most of them need chaperones.

Kassian was traded for more than his off ice issues.  WD/JB spent massive amount of time on him.  MTL had enough.  Nuff said.

And you have proof of the amount of time management and coaching spent on him? Or should this fall under the whole "easy for fans to say without being part of the team" mentality?

Im surpried bervy sent him down via waviers.  Hes got some major cohonas.  I guess its probably more of a humanitarian thing.  Doing whats best for the player and his life over what he is worth.  I respect marc berv for that tho.  Glad kass is on the road to recovery.  maybe a chance with an upcoming young team or a year in the ahl will help straighten him out and get his hockey fever going again.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Wow. What a charmer.

What do you think the NHL is? A charity? He has frittered away opportunities on more than one occasion. Should we and the NHL just feel sorry for him and his poor life choices and keep giving him chances? I hope he is able to get his life back on track but his NHL career should be over.

45 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I think I suggested when he got suspended without pay, that he would likely be without a team or contract at the end of this year, and its looking more and more like that will happen.

He has a ton of talent, but definitely has an attitude behavioral problem.

For everyone criticizing Benning for trading him in the first place, you can shut up now. Its likely that Montreal also inquired about trading him instead of waiving him and no one was willing to give up anything for him. Won't be surprised if he's off to the AHL before the end of the week.

FTFY...there's a big difference between attitude and behavioral problems (that's the extent I can contribute from my first year psych classes over 20 years ago so I won't be able to elaborate on why attitude and behavior are different...sorry).

Kassian's addiction may be just enough for 29 teams to pass on...but if he ever got clean and sober, he could very well be a very good NHLer.  And it would be a solid for the team that took that chance.  Don't think JB's the guy that's going to take that chance.

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

What do you think the NHL is? A charity? He has frittered away opportunities on more than one occasion. Should we and the NHL just feel sorry for him and his poor life choices and keep giving him chances? I hope he is able to get his life back on track but his NHL career should be over.

Even off the wagon he is still a better player than 80% of the 4th line players in the NHL. Sober and focused he is an NHL player without a doubt.

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Hey look! A jealous guy who never made it and now is disgruntled and wants others to pay for his failures. 

Yeah that guy.

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd go with the last two and am okay with it as long as the experience doesn't traumatize Horvat and McCann.  Undoubtedly Benning is keeping an eye on that, and hopefully he's making the right call.  Lots of competition on the tanking front in the Pacific this year. 

Well said there is a difference in he is dealing with his demons ? he grew up without a proper family structure ,Horvat an McCann had a family support an structure an maturity with alot of intelligence to know better a do alot better in life.It would be ok to give him a last chance till deadline day then move on.W/d does not like his game or social background yet he has a degree in social work go figure.Hopefully the big kid does get a chance somewhere to change his life for the better without substance abuse in it an has learned one of the hardest lessons in life an hit rock bottom an can move his life along it's healing path.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

Should be over? Because you say so from your moral superiority soapbox?

The NHL is a business. Whatever is good for business, works for them. If you think Kassian is the only player in the NHL using, your dense.

Jared Stoll is still playing, but he also was busted for coke. Did he deserve another shot because he has two Cup rings?

Zack's a young guy whose life has been hard, with losing his father at a young age. Some people choose different ways of dealing with their struggles, and some of those choices don't work out.

Your absolutes are asinine.

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

If he gets another chance it's because somebody thinks he's got something to offer. Like you said it's not a charity but it's also not an exercise in spite towards addiction. 

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Easy for fans to say things like this without actually being a part of the team.  I don't care whether it's competitive sports or where you work- when you have someone that doesn't put the work in it can have an effect on the morale of the team and becomes a distraction.  

True. The same could be applied to Matthias, Sbisa, and other players who didn't play consistently or up to their assumed potential.

Only the Sedins are enough?  They should have to babysit everyone?

To set an example of how to play. Where did you get the babysitting analogy from? Again Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton aren't five year olds running around needing their noses wiped and crusts cut off their sandwiches. These are young adults who have put in a lot of time honing their abilities, I don't think most of them need chaperones.

Kassian was traded for more than his off ice issues.  WD/JB spent massive amount of time on him.  MTL had enough.  Nuff said.

And you have proof of the amount of time management and coaching spent on him? Or should this fall under the whole "easy for fans to say without being part of the team" mentality?

I got confused reading your post Philly...I thought Silly Goose was arguing with himself.  In the future, please preface it for dummies like me.  I need another cup of coffee, or three.

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I got confused reading your post Philly...I thought Silly Goose was arguing with himself.  In the future, please preface it for dummies like me.  I need another cup of coffee, or three.

I bolded it to differentiate, but fair enough, bigbad. I'll do my best.

Archived