The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

44 minutes ago, drsofthands said:

probably one of the worst trades in history for both teams

Its a wash really. We got someone who can help this year and protect some of our younger players. Montreal rolled the dice on the skill level, hoping that Kassian would pull his head out of his A$$ and stop partying and become a player who takes his career seriously.

We can wish all day long that he can reach his potential, but he's the only one that can make the decision to do the work.

If Montreal has him on waivers as he is coming out of the league Stage 2 substance abuse program, I'm willing to bet that they aren't seeing that anything has changed in his commitment to become a real player in the NHL. I would tend to trust their judgement.

13 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

FTFY...there's a big difference between attitude and behavioral problems (that's the extent I can contribute from my first year psych classes over 20 years ago so I won't be able to elaborate on why attitude and behavior are different...sorry).

Kassian's addiction may be just enough for 29 teams to pass on...but if he ever got clean and sober, he could very well be a very good NHLer.  And it would be a solid for the team that took that chance.  Don't think JB's the guy that's going to take that chance.

Anyway you look at it, its something that he has to make a decision to change!

Just now, Canorth said:

Even if he does it won't be enough to stop backhanded comments like this.

He did the work to gain the reputation, he's the only one who can do the work to stop the need for comments like mine!

All about accountability. He was handed a second chance with Montreal and went back into party mode in the middle of training camp!

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He did the work to gain the reputation, he's the only one who can do the work to stop the need for comments like mine!

All about accountability. He was handed a second chance with Montreal and went back into party mode in the middle of training camp!

There is never any need for comments like that. You may want to make comments like that, but they are not required.

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Sorry dude, thats on you. You chose the life of Internet mockery - Kassian can't change that for you.  Looks like you need some accountability in your life.

The guy hasn't seen the ice in 3 months. It's going to take longer than a 2 week conditioning stint to get him into game shape. By rsending him down now Montreal hopes no one is willing to waste a roster spot on a guy who won't be ready to play for awhile. If he makes it through then they can keep him down there long enough to make sure he's ready.

If they gave him a 14 day conditioning stint and he looked good but not ready then they'd either have to risk trying to get him through waivers at that point (which would be less likely) or keep another inactive player on the roster. Considering they already have Tinordi with the club who hadn't played they really don't have the luxury of wasting a roster spot on him 

Ohh I can still remember a good number of posters here sticking up for Zack like he was their little brother ... Seems like Kassian wasn't the golden boy everyone had hoped he would be and just once it wasn't the Canucks organizations mistake for destroying a young players career, because he himself had ruined it. Can't really defend the guy when two hockey organizations literally have no faith in the guy, it's really up to him to make a change now.

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

Role models are for children, they are already what they wanted to be when they grew up.

+1

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

I see zero upside. I hope no NHL takes him. He doesn't deserve another chance in the NHL. There are way more deserving guys out there.

you win the interwebz nino v2.0

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

if travis greene was asked if he could use him , i'm sure he would say yes.   Guys like shinkaruk could really bebefit from him being there, ya ya I know whats going to be said but be serious Utica wants in the playoffs again, and being in the new division where  most of the teams are near by they could take a run

Do you not understand the waiver process? Montreal put him on waivers to send him down to their farm team. If Vancouver claims him they have to keep him on the main club. They can't just send him to their farm team with the exception of a 14 conditioning stint 

I think there is next to no chance Benning claims him.

And I think this is a strategic timing move by a Montreal team that wants to keep him.

I personally would like this guy - if healthy - back in our lineup.

Say what you want, but those games - like the one in Anaheim - where this team got pushed around without a whimper from our 'pushback' guys - would never have taken place with Kassian around. No question about that - Zack never failed to stand up for his team-mates - you simply have to give the young man that.  He didn't command the top six role people expected of him, but at the same time, his game was nowhere near as bad as some haters (yeah the term applies in this case) here suggested.   His underlying numbers were respectable, his production relative to situational use was fine - his game wasn't entirely consistent - not unlike guys like Vey and Baertschi in the same age range - but he was easily as visible as them and when it came to providing nuclear deterrence, it was nice to finally have that in our lineup, particularly in a form that can actually play a skilled bottom six role.

I wish him the best regardless of where he lands.  If Benning did elect to give him a second chance here, I'd be 100% in support of that decision. If it didn't work out - well, there are certainly lots of lesser talents without a fraction of the grit playing in the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think there is next to no chance Benning claims him.

And I think this is a strategic timing move by a Montreal team that wants to keep him.

I personally would like this guy - if healthy - back in our lineup.

Say what you want, but those games - like the one in Anaheim - where this team got pushed around without a whimper from our 'pushback' guys - would never have taken place with Kassian around. No question about that - Zack never failed to stand up for his team-mates - you simply have to give the young man that.  He didn't command the top six role people expected of him, but at the same time, his game was nowhere near as bad as some haters (yeah the term applies in this case) here suggested.   His underlying numbers were respectable, his production relative to situational use was fine - his game wasn't entirely consistent - not unlike guys like Vey and Baertschi in the same age range - but he was easily as visible as them and when it came to providing nuclear deterrence, it was nice to finally have that in our lineup, particularly in a form that can actually play a skilled bottom six role.

I wish him the best regardless of where he landes.

I second this post. I've run out of reputation to hand out, sorry oldnews.

I'd love to see Kassian back on the team. He was always ready to throw down and was a player that most others wouldn't tangle with if they could help it.

I remember the last game Kassian played against Anaheim, and how he leveled Kesler. It was a thing of beauty. Kesler didn't even bother jawing with Zack after the fact. He just took his lumps and moved on.

Kassian always answered the bell for his teammates, and not in some fabricated Prustian fashion either.

I wish him nothing but the best in recovering from whatever it is that has taken hold of him, and hope he finds peace.

Archived