The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

You know, I'm still dissapointed about the organization giving up on Rick Rypien....who knows what would have happened if the Canucks didn't ship him off.  I feel if  you want to leave a legacy look after your players in need....that doesn't mean keeping vets around past their prime...it means stepping up and doing a hard job in the face of adversity.  Management asks this of our players every day.....the least they could do is lead by example.

1 minute ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

I just dont know how anyone would think it would look good on us in any which way to pick this guy up again. He had multiple chances in Vancouver. He blew them. Time to find another path another team for young Kassian. He will find a team in due time. I Just think it would be completely idiotic to pick him up. Plus he sounded happy to leave Vancouver. And Management seemed happy to let him go. Just leave it at that.

Because even if we pick him up we can control his ice time knowing we can cut him free the first time he messes up barring that we can possibly find a way to shove him and keep him in the ahl and be the better for it.

That and love him or hate him he represents someone we don't have on this team.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Two hand slashes to the calves is cheap then?

What about slamming someone's head into a staunchion?

We slashed. He took a few cheap shots. $&!# we even bit a dude. Slamming someones head into a stanchion wasn't vs us. Or had a thing to do between Vancouver and Boston. Its time to let that series go man. We required pushback. We had 0 push back. Just a bunch of antagonizers.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Because even if we pick him up we can control his ice time knowing we can cut him free the first time he messes up barring that we can possibly find a way to shove him and keep him in the ahl and be the better for it.

That and love him or hate him he represents someone we don't have on this team.

How many chances does Zack get before some other kid gets his? I understand how people feel about him but i think its silly to bring him back to Vancouver. That ship has sailed.

22 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

I wasn't specifically speaking about drugs when I said Kassian isn't a high character player, I said he isn't a high character player because he isn't. Just because you answer the questions you are supposed to answer the way you are supposed to answer them doesn't make you high character. That would mean nearly every player in the NHL is a high character player, which isn't true.

Teams trade, draft and evaluate based on character all the time. Effort, leadership and willingness to sacrifice for your team are 3 main areas used to evaluate character in hockey. Zack was not above average in any of these areas in his time as a Canuck.

Guys like Prust, Dorsett, Horvat are high character players. Yes even Prust, who does questionable things, is considered to have very high character by many of the most respected hockey people.

As far as the addiction part of this. I wish Zack the best, but I've also been around this stuff enough to know people don't change unless they take it upon themselves to do what is necessary. Being forced to go to rehab or the NHL will stop giving you your millions of dollars is not the kind of situation I've ever seen work, nor is it one I have sympathy for.

When you bring up "character issues" in a conversation mainly focused on addictive behavior it is pretty easy to misinterpret what you were implying - my bad. I was only trying to add some perspective.  Regardless, as you pointed out, 'character' is a highly subjective term open to interpretation by anyone who uses it. I for one am not a fan of the 'character' Prust has shown in a Canucks Jersey and I'd have to disagree with your opinion on Kassian's willingness to lay it all out for his teammates and i respect his follow through in his recovery, regardless of how forced it appears.   Especially living it out in the media like he has.

2 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

We slashed. He took a few cheap shots. $&!# we even bit a dude. Slamming someones head into a stanchion wasn't vs us. Or had a thing to do between Vancouver and Boston. Its time to let that series go man. We required pushback. We had 0 push back. Just a bunch of antagonizers.

This isn't about the Cup Finals. Stay on track. This is about calling Kass a caveman and the Bruins cheap.

Examples are examples regardless of timeframe. Kassian made some mistakes. He wasn't careful with his stick, but he didn't intentionally attempt to break Gagner's jaw.

2 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

How many chances does Zack get before some other kid gets his? I understand how people feel about him but i think its silly to bring him back to Vancouver. That ship has sailed.

We could say the same thing about any number of non productive vets on the team right now.

Just now, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

perhaps the Vancouver ship has sailed but with the way the league is I would highly doubt he is done in the NHL yet as he has completed stage 2 of NHL rehab he is making the effort it would seem sincere an does want to play hockey again.I would not be bothered to have him back here.The moral majority seem to have alot of influence on management right now >I will not blow smoke up some ones a_ _  an .

"IT IS WHAT IT IS " nothing more nothing less.

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

yes but my point was that this could be done which as I stated it can.    and I don't think montreal wants him that bad anyways.  like I said to begin with Utica could really use him

Montreal likely put him on waivers because they know he's nowhere near game shape and will need a lot longer than 14 days.  I doubt it has anything to do with "not liking him"  They stand a much better chance of getting him through waivers right now while his condition is so up in the air.  It's akin to Vancouver sneaking Markstrom through waivers last season

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This isn't about the Cup Finals. Stay on track. This is about calling Kass a caveman and the Bruins cheap.

Examples are examples regardless of timeframe. Kassian made some mistakes. He wasn't careful with his stick, but he didn't intentionally attempt to break Gagner's jaw.

The fact that he dissed him next game he played vs him about his jaw. Classless. Everytime Zacks name comes up so does how he would have dealt with boston in the finals. So its kinda relevant.. We we just as bad as the bruins with the cheap $&!#. We just cant see through our homer goggles.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Well.....there you go. But they have character, right?

And all dem cup rings to show for it too.

For me bottom line right now is again Kassian represents something we do not have on this team then or now.  And you're hard pressed to find ANYONE who would say straight up that THIS wasn't entertaining or at least exciting to watch

zack-kassian-is-pumped-after-goal.gif?w=

For me, the big issue is the player you wish you'd be getting versus the player you'd actually be getting. 

Kassian likely has a long road to get to the latter, if he ever can. At his peak potential actualization he's a great pick-up, at his current state he's likely a large liability. 

I don't see any way the Canucks claim him. Those hands have been washed, I'd guess. 

4 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

perhaps the Vancouver ship has sailed but with the way the league is I would highly doubt he is done in the NHL yet as he has completed stage 2 of NHL rehab he is making the effort it would seem sincere an does want to play hockey again.I would not be bothered to have him back here.The moral majority seem to have alot of influence on management right now >I will not blow smoke up some ones a_ _  an .

"IT IS WHAT IT IS " nothing more nothing less.

Never said he wont find his way. He will. Just not on Vancouver.

Archived