The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Sign Stamkos' signs to be handed out tonight at ACC

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

No not really. And it's clearly not about the Cup to Stammer if he's shown signs of wanting to go home where he knows the Leafs are in a poor state.

Much like how Lucic may be coming home to us.

Same as Hamonic with wanting to come to Winnipeg. Some players just want to go home.

Don't see Stamkos resigning in TBA, he doesn't get along with the coach and they just extended Cooper about a month ago. He's not going to sign before summer, why would he, 25 yrs old superstar who can be UFA in a few months. 

TO being his fav childhood team and him being a local kid I think there's a better than 50% chance he goes to TO. He'll get north of $11 mill per year salary in T.O.  plus several million per year in other income from promotions which he wouldn't get in TBA. TO is on the right path with new management and coach. 

Stammer will be the new face of the franchise and they'll build a statue of him in Toronto if they win the Cup over the next decade. And since they've committed to re build that team the right way I think there's a decent chance of that happening. 

Stamkos, JVR, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Brown, Kapanen, Bracco and Morgan Reilly already playing like their best d-man.

They'll most likely get another top 5 pick this year.

Having Babcock and all the FA's they could attract if Stamkos signs there.

I don't know why people think they will be bad for so long, they're going to turn it around a lot sooner than some people think imo.

They'll be pretty scary in the next couple of years if he signs there...

1 hour ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Not complete apples to oranges, as once again here they are rebuilding, but will short-circuit that to bring in a big money scorer.  It's the same old story for them, just with different names.  Will it work this time?  I kinda hope it does, actually.  Maybe after that grand event we can finally win a cup.

That's the main point of free agency though? Of course Toronto will try to sign him, every team that can afford Stamkos will throw an offer. He's the type of player that can completely improve most any team.

If there turns out to be a kernel of truth to this and Stamkos does wind up in Toronto, I will lose a great deal of respect for him.

The way he's handling this is easily seen as unprofessional and unfair to the fans of Tampa Bay.  It's not even Christmas and it's being allowed to take on a life of it's own that he has a foot out the door and on the way to the center of the universe.

True or not, he should have shot it down publicly and shoved it forcefully to the back burner - as opposed to the lame "oops I made a mistake" stuff he's doing.

This is how your captain conducts himself?  Perhaps he belongs in Toronto - where a shameless media circus conducts business for the Laffs on a regular basis.

If I'm a Tampa fan I expect a lot more out of my captain.  If I'm that club I want either a firm indication of his intentions or a list of destinations I'm free to rent him to - this whole game is not a bluff I'd be willing to play out - I'd be calling and expect his hand to be laid on the table. 

You wear a "C" for a franchise - conduct yourself like a captain.

2 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Toronto is delusional thinking Stamkos would go to them. I mean seriously there are 29 other teams in the NHL and about 20 of them have a better chance at the cup than Toronto

I would say the same thing, but after last year it was the same situation with Babcock,  I never thought Babcock would got to a team like TO and then the it eventually happened.   Now i'm a little more hesitant on my thinking  

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I would say the same thing, but after last year it was the same situation with Babcock,  I never thought Babcock would got to a team like TO and then the it eventually happened.   Now i'm a little more hesitant on my thinking  

Money talks. Babcock had the whole spiel about how he signed because "he was looking forward to the challenge of a rebuild" and blah blah blah. No you jackass, you signed because they offered you an obscene amount of money that quite frankly you don't deserve. You could argue that coach Q is a superior coach, yet he's making less than half of what Babs gets? Yeah, it's about the challenge. My arse.

if Toronto gives him 11 mill I'll laugh. IMO, Toews is probably the only player in the league truly deserving of that money. He's the MVP of the best team in the league and the only dynasty in the cap era. At the end of the day all that matters is winning championships, something Stamkos hasn't done.

35 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Money talks. Babcock had the whole spiel about how he signed because "he was looking forward to the challenge of a rebuild" and blah blah blah. No you jackass, you signed because they offered you an obscene amount of money that quite frankly you don't deserve. You could argue that coach Q is a superior coach, yet he's making less than half of what Babs gets? Yeah, it's about the challenge. My arse.

if Toronto gives him 11 mill I'll laugh. IMO, Toews is probably the only player in the league truly deserving of that money. He's the MVP of the best team in the league and the only dynasty in the cap era. At the end of the day all that matters is winning championships, something Stamkos hasn't done.

People really gotta stop overrating Toews. He plays on the best team in the league. Yes he is a great player. But there are better players.

2 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

People really gotta stop overrating Toews. He plays on the best team in the league. Yes he is a great player. But there are better players.

I'd agree he's slightly overrated, but what I said there, would you not agree it's true? He's the best player on the best team. He flat out wins, it's seemingly followed him everywhere he's gone. Ovechkin is definitely a more talented player but hasn't been able to win in the NHL, for one example. 

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'd agree he's slightly overrated, but what I said there, would you not agree it's true? He's the best player on the best team. He flat out wins, it's seemingly followed him everywhere he's gone. Ovechkin is definitely a more talented player but hasn't been able to win in the NHL, for one example. 

Look at Washington's D. Look at Chi's D. That would be a big reason why.

Archived