The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Internal Turmoil

C.Schneider

The team is bad. Internal turmoil is not the reason. The reason is simple ... there is not enough talent. The Sedin's are still great but there is literally no one else on the roster who can be described the same way. There are good players (Hansen, Tanev) playing to their ability but they are not great. The youth is promising but not ready to be counted on to carry the team and really shouldn't be expected to do so. If this team makes the playoffs its because guys like Burr, Higgins, Edler play lights out more often than they don't and that is not happening.

OK seriously, the Canucks are playing 

Edler-Tanev, Bartkowski-Weber and Hutton - Biega, three NHL defenceman and three AHL equivalent defenceman.

What does anyone think will really happen especially with the forward lines in the NHL. I know the Canucks don't like to make excuses but with Hamhuis, Sutter and Sbisa out, three key components of the team. I think instead of an internal turmoil, it seems like an injury turmoil.

The team is getting close to scapegoat time for action?

The modest thing to do would be to do nothing an ride it out

the next best thing would be to sack the special teams coach or coach of the special teams re: pk,pp

by the way what ever happened to that consultant the canucks hired ? an what has he done?

... and this is what happens when even a hint of the wishes of the "lets tank" crowd start coming true.

Guess what.  When you start focusing on development by slotting in a ton of young players in your lineup you are going to have big speedbumps.  Their progression isn't linear.  We are also in a spot where the team isn't going to go out and use up future assets to make us better in the short term, so there is no cavalry coming like in the past, unless it is super cheap like Luke Schenn might be.

When you have a ton of injuries, there simply aren't the horses to win consistently.  For those who want to ditch every veteran on the team, what we are going through now is nothing.  The Sedins and Miller keep things respectable on most nights.

Last year we overacheived, this year we are underachieving.  That happens even without intentionally trying to lose... it happens because no matter what roster you put on the ice, you still have to play the games and it doesn't always turn out as you hoped (see Pittsburgh this year). 

With Hamhuis down and an already suspect defence even worse for the foreseeable future, we are looking at being out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline and will likely move a couple bodies out for future assets.  We will probably be in line for a top 10 pick and possibly a top 5.

At this point, hopefully we can stockpile a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks (maybe even a late 1st) and then turn around and use some of those before the draft to trade ourselves a solid young NHL player.  Add in a couple of good UFAs with our upcoming cap space and we can again try to ice a competitive team next year.

I'd like to add that lines and lines worth of recovery type, project players, throw aways from other teams, is catching up to us.  There is a reason these players were let go for almost nothing, each.  There is a reason these players were not drafted.  Their worth for overcoming the underdog label has way overvalued their abilities in the eyes of management, and in the heart of fans.  The reality is, going 20 games without scoring, over, and over, and over.. over, is the sign of a plug.  Is THIS the culture you let soak into the high talent high picks?  How about watching the culture of the no look impossible pass saturate the entire club?  Combined with the fact that the coaching staff has the entire team in disarray, this team, and its culture, is in serious trouble.  This is the kind of hole that could take a decade to dig out of.  A wholesale fire sale is needed to:

GET RID OF THIS ROTTEN CORE

5 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

To the people blaming JB, has it ever occurred to you that this is just the natural cycle of most franchises and JB is simply Johnny-on-the-(wrong)spot? Most of the guys he's brought in are actually working. It's what he inherited that is the problem.

It should, but it probably doesn't for many.

Whether people are comfortable with the term rebuild, or if "retool" is more palatable, that is what is happening. Both the coach and the GM are going to be in the middle of what usually is a painful process.

For me, the biggest issue is not where the team is in the standings, but how the majority of the veterans are playing on this team.

I had no delusions about the Canucks taking the Western conference by storm based on the transitional state of the roster at beginning of the year.

That being said, I think it has been pretty disingenuous of Benning and Linden to try to sell the fanbase on this team being one that can compete for a playoff spot.

But the most grievous issue is with the remaining players that are from the previous core, aside from the Sedins and Hansen. Those players are an embarrassment to the team and I can only hope that Benning is of the mind to get rid of the passengers on this team as soon as possible.

Every game that these warm bodies defile is one more that insults the consistent and amazing effort that the Sedins put in.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For me, the biggest issue is not where the team is in the standings, but how the majority of the veterans are playing on this team.

I had no delusions about the Canucks taking the Western conference by storm based on the transitional state of the roster at beginning of the year.

That being said, I think it has been pretty disingenuous of Benning and Linden to try to sell the fanbase on this team being one that can compete for a playoff spot.

But the most grievous issue is with the remaining players that are from the previous core, aside from the Sedins and Hansen. Those players are an embarrassment to the team and I can only hope that Benning is of the mind to get rid of the passengers on this team as soon as possible.

Every game that these warm bodies defile is one more that insults the consistent and amazing effort that the Sedins put in.

While none of us know what is actually going on internally, the recent comments by Daniel and Hank along with Burrows' comments today seem to confirm that there is a feeling in the room that there are a number of players not carrying their weight, preparing properly or not caring enough about the team or their teammates.  No names mentioned but the comments are pretty telling.

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Blunt! You turncoat!

Obviously you're not appreciating the Canucks Mentoring Program. You know, the vets that are hanging around showing those kids how it's done, making professionals out of them, showing how to be diligent on and off the ice 24/7. The Canucks have the highest mentoring budget in the league! Because as you know, it's all in the mentoring.

You can apologize to Mr. Aquilni for that generous outlay of wasted cash now.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

While none of us know what is actually going on internally, the recent comments by Daniel and Hank along with Burrows' comments today seem to confirm that there is a feeling in the room that there are a number of players not carrying their weight, preparing properly or not caring enough about the team or their teammates.  No names mentioned but the comments are pretty telling.

I'm not sure what right Burrows has to call any players out when he's generating diddly squat himself.

It is clear though that, based on Henrik and Daniel's statements, that there is a clear issue with the chemistry, being the complete lack of, on the team right now. And the fact that those two have to say something, really speaks to the futility they must be feeling in seeing the useless nature of the passengers on the team.

Benning needs to remove the dead sloughing skin now before it really starts to stink.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure what right Burrows has to call any players out when he's generating diddly squat himself.

It is clear though that, based on Henrik and Daniel's statements, that there is a clear issue with the chemistry, being the complete lack of, on the team right now. And the fact that those two have to say something, really speaks to the futility they must be feeling in seeing the useless nature of the passengers on the team.

Benning needs to remove the dead sloughing skin now before it really starts to stink.

I agree. Pot calling kettle black in Burrows' case.  Sedins must really be disgusted to be so specific in commenting on the let downs and inexcusable errors being committed.

Last night it was Edler and Tanev blundering around but they weren't the only two.  It is like a flu with this team.  Ever since Higgins came back....coincidence?

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Blunt! You turncoat!

Obviously you're not appreciating the Canucks Mentoring Program. You know, the vets that are hanging around showing those kids how it's done, making professionals out of them, showing how to be diligent on and off the ice 24/7. The Canucks have the highest mentoring budget in the league! Because as you know, it's all in the mentoring.

You can apologize to Mr. Aquilni for that generous outlay of wasted cash now.

Guilty as charged. Frankly, the Sedins extraordinary play this season alone, should be more than enough to mentor the youth. And to a certain extent, Hansen's fearlessness and speed are pretty impressive.

Burrows, Higgins, Vrbata, Prust, and Dorsett aren't really doing anything on the ice that even the most casual hockey fan would consider mentor worthy, in my humble opinion.

I don't even want to touch on the excremental mess that the defense has become right now.

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I agree. Pot calling kettle black in Burrows' case.  Sedins must really be disgusted to be so specific in commenting on the let downs and inexcusable errors being committed.

Last night it was Edler and Tanev blundering around but they weren't the only two.  It is like a flu with this team.  Ever since Higgins came back....coincidence?

True. In all their years as Canucks, they have never made such pointed and honest comments regarding the state of the team.

That in itself, is very telling.

34 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

To the people blaming JB, has it ever occurred to you that this is just the natural cycle of most franchises and JB is simply Johnny-on-the-(wrong)spot? Most of the guys he's brought in are actually working. It's what he inherited that is the problem.

There's only so much Benning can do....The Canucks are devoid of good solid players in their prime years (23-28),conversely,teams like Edmonton and Calgary have good players just entering theirs.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

I noted these types of comments weeks ago and got flamed for "doubting" the team.

Note Miller's comment with regards to, it went something like this,"I can only play, I don't coach."

Wow!  That's quite a comment.  What was the context?

Archived