The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to waive Higgins, hear me out first

desiboynux4lifee*******

13 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Linden mentioned at the Summer Summit that they tried to trade Higgins but nobody wanted to take his contract.
What has he done this year that would make a team change their mind? Taking him for this season plus next year for $2.5m is too high a risk. The only chance we have to trade him is at next season's deadline. He is going nowhere this year.

Actually Linden responded to a question about trading Higgins and said they hadn't tried at all. They didn't want to trade an important player on a bargain contract.

That being said it's not just Higgins that's had a bad year so far. The whole middle 6 has been missing. Burrows, Higgins, Horvat, Baertschi, Vrbata, Sutter ect. They have all had a couple good games and that's basically it. Can't win games when 50% of the team doesn't give a fk for 80% of the games this year. 

I wish he could get another shot to the ankles an go back to sick bay again.Having him an Prust in same locker room may be too much veteran for the team.ps jokes but he does hurt us with his try sadly we are locked in with too much of the same .

Could we offer him an assistant coach position in ECHL or something?

2 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Actually Linden responded to a question about trading Higgins and said they hadn't tried at all. They didn't want to trade an important player on a bargain contract.

That being said it's not just Higgins that's had a bad year so far. The whole middle 6 has been missing. Burrows, Higgins, Horvat, Baertschi, Vrbata, Sutter ect. They have all had a couple good games and that's basically it. Can't win games when 50% of the team doesn't give a fk for 80% of the games this year. 

To be fair to Sutter, he has been literally missing due to injury during this entire bad stretch. Everyone else has no excuse, other than maybe the sophomore Horvat being in over his head.

2 hours ago, LarsEller said:

If this is true, then some GMs around the League may have believed that too. We could have gotten assets back while he was worth something. If he doesn't pick his game up he won't be worth much at all. If he's still in our lineup next season, I may have to start taking Gravol.

I was in favour of trading Higgins and retaining Matthias. I know Matthias hasn't been playing any better, but at least he could have subbed in at center. With Sutter out our lack of center depth has become an issue. Some people predicted that Matthias would sign for 4 mil. I predicted that he would sign for an amount similar to Higgins. Oh well, too late now.

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Desi you don't waive a guy like Higgins. You wait till the deadline and hope a playoff bound team takes him for a 6th or 7th rounder. If you waive him players around the league notice how you treat your veteran players and they shy away from signing with your team all things equal. 

Also this team needs a vet like him to support the kids thru these tough times. And there aren't many better options in the AHL.

I remember when, the year immediately after he captained them to the Cup, the Lightning waived Dave Andreychuk 40 games into the season.  I thought it was disgusting.  I don't know if or how it impacted other veterans signing with the Lightning in the future.

17 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Ever since Higgin's came back I don't know what has happened to this team. I get he is a locker room guy and the team probaly enjoys his jokes and laughter he brings on the road? But honestly Benning needs to take a example from the Hawks who waived Bickel, a guy who helped them win the stanely cup! 

Positives: Call up Griener a 6'5 guy who uses his speed or call up gaunce. Also, with Green who knows maybe Higgins can regain his role as a decent checker because rite now he looks out of place on this team

Negative- some team claims him but ask yourself realistically what Higgins would  fetch  on the open market as his value looks like its sky rocket low. 

It's a win-win situation just waive Higgin's already and give Griener a shot.

What is the point, it embarasses the player and you know that no one will claim him.

18 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Ever since Higgin's came back I don't know what has happened to this team. I get he is a locker room guy and the team probaly enjoys his jokes and laughter he brings on the road? But honestly Benning needs to take a example from the Hawks who waived Bickel, a guy who helped them win the stanely cup! 

Positives: Call up Griener a 6'5 guy who uses his speed or call up gaunce. Also, with Green who knows maybe Higgins can regain his role as a decent checker because rite now he looks out of place on this team

Negative- some team claims him but ask yourself realistically what Higgins would  fetch  on the open market as his value looks like its sky rocket low. 

It's a win-win situation just waive Higgin's already and give Griener a shot.

I'm with you on this, he was terrible last night.

I doubt any one would be taking him. I believe Benning when he said he can't move him. I just don't understand WD playing him over and over... Burrows has gotten there too. Not much going on there. Time has caught up. Last night's lack of heart was so evident. It has been flat line hockey for a while now and things need a jolt. This team has the same airless feel to it .

It's boring to see the same old faces, one being Higgens and Burrows.

21 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Does anyone realistically think Higgins is worth more than a 4th rounder? 

IDK maybe its just me but as we saw this offseason, mid 30's grinders do not get offered contracts and end up in Europe.

Maybe Willie needs to get the memo

There was a memo?

I think it would have gone to Benning then, not Willie, as Jim is the one who provides the players for the team

4th rounder sounds about right

Archived