The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to waive Higgins, hear me out first

desiboynux4lifee*******

6 hours ago, coastal1 said:

What is the point, it embarasses the player and you know that no one will claim him.

Who cares if he's embarrassed? He should be embarrassed collecting a paycheque for what he's doing right now.

Players need to be reminded that playing in the NHL is an honor not a right. We've got lots of guys that can float around on the ice for 13 minutes a night. I'd rather give his spot to a guy that plays hard.

I dont think waiving him is the answer, but a trade of some sort would be good. He's been invisible this year. Some have said he's not hurting the team defensively, but thats not where this team needs help, it needs it offensively and he's sure not helping in that department. IMO he kills the line he's on. How many wide open nets can this guy miss? I'd like him moved sooner or later, let ANYBODY else have his spot. He's getting paid, looks like he's floating and doesnt give a rats butt about anything. Time to move him. In fact, I'd rather have Prust on that line, at least he's out there working hard and can make a pass.

3 points in 18 games for a player being paid what Higgins has been being paid is disgraceful. I agree. He should be waived. He's got very little value on the open market. Linden said it himself -- they tried trading him but no takers. Maybe him being waived will be a huge wakeup call for the other players. Maybe he gets claimed. So what. The guy's clearly not up to snuff this season and there's been teams around the league waiving guys of his "calibre." You have Bickell in Chicago, Mark Fayne in Edmonton (I know Fayne is a D-Man but he's paid similarly to Higgins), Zack Kassian in Montreal (off ice issues aside), Alexander Semin also in Montreal, Jarett Stoll in New York (mind you, he got claimed, but that's most likely due to his cap friendly hit and short contract). I assume if there was a team willing to trade for Higgins now, Benning would've already pulled the trigger on a deal.

Honestly, it's easy to get nostalgic with players, but what's probably best in the long haul is to get guys like Alex Grenier, Brendan Gaunce, Nicklas Jensen, and Hunter Shinkaruk NHL ice time now... so that they are ready sooner rather then later. Especially considering that Jensen and Grenier become waiver eligible next season... and I'm hard pressed to believe that a team wouldn't take a flyer on 6'5" Grenier. Get Grenier or Gaunce settled into a third/fourth line role now and see what happens. If Higgins clears, he's an option for later.

Personally, I'd rather see a trade take place but it's more realistic that he's waived...

Or better yet, maybe Higgins would benefit from one of those "AHL conditioning stints" that seem to have gained traction as of late.

Just a couple of quick thoughts on my end, is all...

On 12/16/2015 at 8:08 PM, EmilyM said:

Linden mentioned at the Summer Summit that they tried to trade Higgins but nobody wanted to take his contract.
What has he done this year that would make a team change their mind? Taking him for this season plus next year for $2.5m is too high a risk. The only chance we have to trade him is at next season's deadline. He is going nowhere this year.

$2.5??? Ay chihuahua that's a hefty piece of cake for a fat ol' Higgy right there.

That's what you call an anchor contract courtesy Gilly, the mad skipper who just keeps on doin' right by players - the players GM!

It anchors Higgy in Vancouver and anchors the 'Nucks to the cap ceiling and the standings floor.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

#2.5??? Ai chihuahua that's a hefty piece of cake for a fat ol' Higgy right there.

That's what you call an anchor contract courtesy Gilly, the mad skipper who just keeps on doin' right by players - the players GM!

It anchors Higgy in Vancouver and anchors the 'Nucks to the cap ceiling and the standings floor.

With a limited NTC to boot!

3 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

$2.5??? Ay chihuahua that's a hefty piece of cake for a fat ol' Higgy right there.

To be fair it was a pretty reasonable contract for what Higgy brought to the table before this year. 

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

To be fair it was a pretty reasonable contract for what Higgy brought to the table before this year. 

If you were to say it was reasonable before last year I could agree, but Gilly knew Higgins' age (30 at the time) when he offered him that term. Really it was just Gilly being Gilly again.

You know what I would love to see, just for once? I want to see Aqua hire a consultant and do a proper executive search for a general manager for this hockey team. Not chat up alumni around town; hire someone to find the best person for the job. Just once.

Wow, i just wrote about this radar dodging player fro the Canucks. Chris Higgins what a blank. His postcards from Higgins summer series are the only highlight of his year. I totally agree with your view Desi. Other comments basically ignore the fact he is an underachiever. I see the " just no" comments and the pack mentality where posters like thejazz97 just ignores the fact and makes child like comments. These guys don't know hockey and probably still want Kassian back on the team. There are people that know and play hockey and there are people that have heard about it. The fact 90 % or more think the statement is incorrect worries me as to the validity of our fan base. If its not broke don't fix it they think but oh yeah its definitely broke but they would rather watch the postcards from Higgins series inn the summer. What a disgrace.

We can all agree that other than the 1st and 4th line there is room for big changes. 

Higgins needs to stay.  I personally know guys who have played with Higgins and they say he is amazing on and off the ice and we all know that is extremely valuable.

Every day this team hits the ice it's a mystery on what we will get!! Rumour has it Mathews is a big fan of the green and blue

12 hours ago, RyIe said:

I'd rather give his roster spot to someone who could have a future with the team. 

As long as you realize that in the short term that would sink the team even more, meaning that as hard as it is to believe, there is no one better than him in the organization to take his place right now. Sure the replacement COULD have a future with the team, but realistically, it is extremely unlikely. A guy like Grenier will never be a productive NHL player. His ceiling is the AHL.

11 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

If you were to say it was reasonable before last year I could agree, but Gilly knew Higgins' age (30 at the time) when he offered him that term. Really it was just Gilly being Gilly again.

You know what I would love to see, just for once? I want to see Aqua hire a consultant and do a proper executive search for a general manager for this hockey team. Not chat up alumni around town; hire someone to find the best person for the job. Just once.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend Gillis. I just don't think a 2.5 per year contract for a forward who kills penalties and has consistently averaged .4-.5 points per game over his career is the albatross around this teams neck right now. Higgy's definitely stinking it up, but he's also coming off an injury, everybody else around him(not named Sedin or Hansen) is playing just as poorly, and he's earned the right to turn it around IMO. If this is status quo performance for the rest of this year however, a hard decision might need to be made in the offseason. 

9 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I would waive higgins just to get a roster spot for Shinkaruk.... we gotta at least see what we have before we go into the upcoming draft. 

It is tempting and as much as I have been frustrated watching Higgins the last few years, he is a veteran leader. I think that too much youth and rookies in the lineup may be detrimental to long term development (i.e. Edmonton)

12 hours ago, coastal1 said:

As long as you realize that in the short term that would sink the team even more, meaning that as hard as it is to believe, there is no one better than him in the organization to take his place right now. Sure the replacement COULD have a future with the team, but realistically, it is extremely unlikely. A guy like Grenier will never be a productive NHL player. His ceiling is the AHL.

Grenier's AHL performance is relative to Hansen's. He hasn't been given a chance so to say his ceiling is the AHL is a little premature. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Jesen or Rodin. I want to see some new guys get a taste of the nhl and play like hell to stay. 

15 hours ago, RyIe said:

Grenier's AHL performance is relative to Hansen's. He hasn't been given a chance so to say his ceiling is the AHL is a little premature. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Jesen or Rodin. I want to see some new guys get a taste of the nhl and play like hell to stay. 

Oh yes, here we go again with the Jensen is almost ready dream. Jensen, Rodin and Grenier may try like hell to stay but there are not good enough for the NHL. It's that simple. Go back to the AHL rosters of a few years ago and see how many players have made thier way to the NHL- extremely few, rarely more than 1 per AHL roster.

2 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Oh yes, here we go again with the Jensen is almost ready dream. Jensen, Rodin and Grenier may try like hell to stay but there are not good enough for the NHL. It's that simple. Go back to the AHL rosters of a few years ago and see how many players have made thier way to the NHL- extremely few, rarely more than 1 per AHL roster.

The team can barely contend for a playoff spot. What's the harm in letting some new guys play? 

Archived