The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to waive Higgins, hear me out first

desiboynux4lifee*******

10 minutes ago, RyIe said:

The team can barely contend for a playoff spot. What's the harm in letting some new guys play? 

The team is 2 points out of a playoff spot despite some serious injury setback. And you want to give roster spots to players that have not earned them for what purpose exactly? Why are people wanting Virtanen off this team now ( send him to the World Juniors and then to junior!!)? Because he is not good enough for the team at this point, has not earned a spot. That is the harm.

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

The team is 2 points out of a playoff spot despite some serious injury setback. And you want to give roster spots to players that have not earned them for what purpose exactly? Why are people wanting Virtanen off this team now ( send him to the World Juniors and then to junior!!)? Because he is not good enough for the team at this point, has not earned a spot. That is the harm.

2 points due to a weak pacific. And the fact that other teams have played 2-3 games less, 4 for Anahiem. So I guess if you call hoping other teams lose, contending for a spot you're completely accurate. Sure we might sneak in, but the team just doesn't have the personnel or assets to make getting into the playoffs worth while. We'd be better served in the longrun to get a high draft pick. 

I want to give a roster spot to Grenier or Jensen because this team has a dearth of experienced players in their mid 20s. Other than Tanev, Sbisa and Sutter there arent any with 200+ games under their belt. When guys like Higgins, Vrvata and Burrows get traded or don't get resigned I'd rather have someone from Utica take over who has a bit of NHL experience. I'd rather not ice a team of rookies like Edmonton, especially since ours are significantly less talented. 

As for Virtanen, he himself admitted that he made the team because Higgins was injured early in the preseason. How has Virtanen earned his roster spot over Gaunce who outplayed him in the preseason or Grenier who has steadily increased his point production in the AHL?

Until Benning can clear some contracts, its better for Virtanen to play as much as he can instead of sitting in the press box every other game. The only place that can happen is at WJ and Jr. 

Whats all this "Higgins is great on the PK and defensively" BS? Does anyone actually watch him play?

I was focused on him on that first Detroit goal, he was out on the right face off circle, never moved more than 2 feet the whole shift, had two chances to get the puck off Detroit players, but again, waved his stick instead of going after them, he waited for another Canuck player (think it was Bear) to do it.  He literally did nothing but stand there that whole shift.  

Now tell me he's a veteran that is great defensively and on the PK.  The GM and Coach should be seeing this lack of any try from him and either sit him or send him to the AHL or they're not doing their job.

that shoot out attempt by Higgins was nothing more then comedy for me to watch.

need a guy like this

https://streamable.com/kjet

https://streamable.com/fntw

he is ready for his shot, but will only get a chance due to injury, which is unfair just look at Beiga, we wouldn't of known how good Biega could be. Management needs to be more fair with the guys in the farm who are paying there dues for roster spots in the NHL.

12 hours ago, RyIe said:

2 points due to a weak pacific. And the fact that other teams have played 2-3 games less, 4 for Anahiem. So I guess if you call hoping other teams lose, contending for a spot you're completely accurate. Sure we might sneak in, but the team just doesn't have the personnel or assets to make getting into the playoffs worth while. We'd be better served in the longrun to get a high draft pick. 

I want to give a roster spot to Grenier or Jensen because this team has a dearth of experienced players in their mid 20s. Other than Tanev, Sbisa and Sutter there arent any with 200+ games under their belt. When guys like Higgins, Vrvata and Burrows get traded or don't get resigned I'd rather have someone from Utica take over who has a bit of NHL experience. I'd rather not ice a team of rookies like Edmonton, especially since ours are significantly less talented. 

As for Virtanen, he himself admitted that he made the team because Higgins was injured early in the preseason. How has Virtanen earned his roster spot over Gaunce who outplayed him in the preseason or Grenier who has steadily increased his point production in the AHL?

Until Benning can clear some contracts, its better for Virtanen to play as much as he can instead of sitting in the press box every other game. The only place that can happen is at WJ and Jr. 

My comment would be that this season is all about ice time for younger players who as you suggest need NHL experience. The decision to keep Virtanen is OK IMO as it was either that or the Hitman. His play has not hurt the Canucks. Benning wants vet structure to help the rookies and that is OK to.

The players I would want gone are Higgins and Weber. Both these players might have Feb.29th value but will have to improve to make it that far. The question is whether to move them now and use those spots for Utica players to be rotated through. I would opt for waiving them out. Biega has outplayed Weber hands down. Trade deadline moves have all Canuck vets open to deals. Some require bigger returns than others which might make or break deals.

Green has got the Utica ship moving again this year. There are half a dozen players there who need NHL experience. They do not have to be full time. Again this year I prefer Utica make the Calder Cup playoffs. The Canucks are not going anywhere, time better spent in Utica.  

Waiving Higgins would have little effect on the team results.  His replacement (Gaunce) is just starting to get his offensive game going and continues to work on improving the other parts of his game.  Don't rush him.

This team is far from being a contender.  There will be many losses before they come anywhere close to being a contender.

Have patience.

2 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

he is ready for his shot, but will only get a chance due to injury, which is unfair just look at Beiga, we wouldn't of known how good Biega could be. Management needs to be more fair with the guys in the farm who are paying there dues for roster spots in the NHL.

everyone knew how good Biega could be - he was - fairly - recalled last season.

People immediately are bashing this thread for what? What has Higgins done this season that proves, or shows that he deserves a spot, let alone over other guys who have. The only argument I have against this is, I am not sold that Gaunce or Grenier being a consistent force night in, night out, for a lengthy regular season. That being said, Higgins has shown not to be a force this year either. It's not a ridiculous idea. To me it depends on whether we can get something for him. But Higgins is showing to be less and less valuable every game. His prowess is to be a relaible 200 foot player, who plays a solid all around game. He doesn't excel at anything, but he has no real holes and consistently gives solid effort and performs. Well this year, he has not been a reliable 200 foot player. He hasn't played that well defensively, although he hasn't been horrible. However his offensive production has also dropped to a comical low. 

Benning said that players on this team have to earn their spots. He doesn't care what their name is, how much the get paid, how old they are etc. You want a spot, you earn it. And Higgins has not done so this year if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I'm for keeping him up or trading him, as I think he does still have value. But on the basis of what he desearves, well he doesn't desearve much at this point, and if Benning believes someone else in the organization can play his role better (I still say a healthy Kenins could be just that when he gets rolling) I would have no problem sending him down. Message to everyone in the organization. You earn what you get here. You earn your playtime, your role, your minutes per game, and if you get booted off the team to the minors, you earn that too. You want your spot back, fight for it and earn it. This is the pros, not house league.

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Waiving Higgins would have little effect on the team results.  His replacement (Gaunce) is just starting to get his offensive game going and continues to work on improving the other parts of his game.  Don't rush him.

This team is far from being a contender.  There will be many losses before they come anywhere close to being a contender.

Have patience.

It's got nothing to do with winning, it's all about getting the young players that are ready to be in the NHL playing time. Even if Higgins and Weber are gone, there are still plenty of vet's left to mentor.

1 minute ago, Rocksterh8 said:

It's got nothing to do with winning, it's all about getting the young players that are ready to be in the NHL playing time. Even if Higgins and Weber are gone, there are still plenty of vet's left to mentor.

I know what you're saying, but there should be a rule: no using Weber and Higgins in the same sentence with mentor.  We should toss the two because they are the opposite of...that word.:)

Even if one of our kids is a better option, it doesn't necessarily mean we should do it.  Unless if the kid was a significantly better option, which is unlikely.

We don't want to be an Edmonton type team where we throw the kids in on a trial by fire basis.  If we can let them develop in the AHL, we should let them do that.  Overloading our roster with kids when they are not ready is not good in the long run.

And dumping Higgins mid-season will just put another black mark for the club.  Try to trade him for a 6th rounder, or buy him out when the season is over.

Archived