The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should We Relax and Lower Our Expectations?

vladimirpuck

That really depends what your expectations are?

Personally, I felt this team was going to be a work in progress, middle of the pack team. The win-loss record is a little lower then I thought, but overall, 80-84 points was what I thought they were. 

What I didn't think I'd see was a lazy, I don't give a damn team. My expectations are, win or lose, this team will work their bags off every night.

I can live with the loses, but I'll never lower my expectations for how hard this team should work each night. 

3 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Personally, I felt this team was going to be a work in progress, middle of the pack team. The win-loss record is a little lower then I thought, but overall, 80-84 points was what I thought they were. 

What I didn't think I'd see was a lazy, I don't give a damn team. My expectations are, win or lose, this team will work their bags off every night.

I can live with the loses, but I'll never lower my expectations for how hard this team should work each night. 

This is largely what I expected as well. Was also looking forward to watching a hardworking squad (though not likely win tons).

Injuries it seems, have largely derailed both expectations now. I don't know how fair it is to rail them for their effort when frankly, with those injuries, we're clearly outmatched and exhausted.

I look forward to the deadline and the lottery:lol:

Hopefully getting healthier will at least make us a little more entertaining to watch again in the process.

Most of the experts picked us to finish at the bottom...After our start,and being in every game..I thought that the Canucks would be a playoff team (a one and done playoff team mind you),but as the intensity of play kicked up a notch in the NHL..The Canucks couldn't match.

There's still 50 or so games left,and the Canucks will have a lot of home games...so there should be better results....Although anymore injuries would be devastating.

I want a top 3 pick.  So we can choose which of the top 3-4-5-6 we want :)  If we grab 

Chychrun

i wonder if he'll be nhl ready by next season? or if he will need seasoning.  Anyone know how his development is coming along?  So much talent.  Think the ranks are going to shuffle around some more b4 the draft arrives.

Well, unfortunately, these are the dark days that everyone was predicting for the Canucks.  This too shall pass (hopefully sooner than later) and better days will be had.  I have never been one to advocate a tank, but if the Canucks end up with one of the best lottery tickets to get either one of Matthews or Chychrun because of inability to string together wins, then so be it. 

Win, lose or draw, love the Canucks the same and will take a few lumps here...it's just the natural evolution of the rise and fall and rise of sports franchises.  Would just appreciate a little more effort from some of the passengers on the bus.  But long term, I don't think the Canucks are going to be on the mat for too long. 

22 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

I fully agree. I am willing to go through some growing pains just to get rid of these half hearted, I don't give a dam, big baby players once and for all. Bring in some players with some strong leadership qualities who want to win at any cost please.

14 hours ago, vladimirpuck said:

Should We Relax and Lower Our Expectations?

Yes.

What else do you want people to say? We're transitioning and now getting hit with injuries. Our youth is good but feeling the effects of the transition as well so the offence has dried up. It's not going to get much better.

What I don't want is for us to be bad enough to have so low a points total as to be close to the bottom of the NHL but have the Pacific be so bad that we somehow squeak into 2nd place in our division. Even if we're a little better than bad, I'd rather we get a chance at the lottery pick (the lower the better) and aim to improve our prospect pool by adding more picks with deadline and draft day deals.

We should have started this last year.

This year anyway.

Benning has a lot of work to do. If he trades the players that need to be traded, then he's off to a good start. Our roster will look something like this:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - ?

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

? - Horvat - Hansen

? - McCann - Dorsett

? - Tanev

? - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Hutton

Miller - Markstrom

Trade: Burrows, Vrbata, Higgins, Prust, Edler, Hamhuis, Weber

Waive: Cracknell

I've never particularly expected the Canucks to make the playoffs this season, and that's okay. I've always viewed this season as a season of development and change. Whether that's prospects being integrated, developing, vets being traded or otherwise. After so much sustained success, albeit without a cup, it was only a matter of time before we started sinking to the bottom. But I'm okay with that, I'll cheer for our guys to win but aren't surprised when we don't. I'm just hoping the draft pays off for us and we start climbing upwards again sooner than later.

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I want a top 3 pick.  So we can choose which of the top 3-4-5-6 we want :)  If we grab 

Chychrun

i wonder if he'll be nhl ready by next season? or if he will need seasoning.  Anyone know how his development is coming along?  So much talent.  Think the ranks are going to shuffle around some more b4 the draft arrives.

Tough to say...are you asking will he be better than the guys Vancouver has? Answer, hell yah!

or

Are you asking if he'd benefit form spending another year in the OHL?  Likely yes, no player has ever been hurt by going back for another year. 

I don't think anyone has Stanley Cup aspirations for this team at the present, outside of recent outpatients from lobotomy wards.

Most expected this team to struggle, it's the almost complete lack of character and fight in the lineup that is far below what was expected, in my opinion.

While most would be fine with the season not turning out well, the play of the last two months is just plain embarrassing, on average. There has been some good games (Chicago 6-3 and NY 2-1), but the majority pale in comparison to AHL performances, outside of the Sedins, Hansen, and Miller (sometimes).

Yes the focus should be on the youth, but when highly paid veterans are so obviously coasting, it speaks against Benning's hackneyed "winning environment" statement he trotted out in the beginning of the year.

Management is either lost in space or lying their faces off if they want any Canucks fan to believe that this is a competitive team.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think anyone has Stanley Cup aspirations for this team at the present, outside of recent outpatients from lobotomy wards.

Most expected this team to struggle, it's the almost complete lack of character and fight in the lineup that is far below what was expected, in my opinion.

While most would be fine with the season not turning out well, the play of the last two months is just plain embarrassing, on average. There has been some good games (Chicago 6-3 and NY 2-1), but the majority pale in comparison to AHL performances, outside of the Sedins, Hansen, and Miller (sometimes).

Yes the focus should be on the youth, but when highly paid veterans are so obviously coasting, it speaks against Benning's hackneyed "winning environment" statement he trotted out in the beginning of the year.

Management is either lost in space or lying their faces off if they want any Canucks fan to believe that this is a competitive team.

John Garrett last night used the word 'contender', so the Kool-Aid is certainly making the rounds. It's very disappointing when knowledgeable people aren't being realistic about what's going on.

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

John Garrett last night used the word 'contender', so the Kool-Aid is certainly making the rounds. It's very disappointing when knowledgeable people aren't being realistic about what's going on.

Garrett didn't say they were a contender, did he? Are you sure he didn't say something about a blender, or a Kraft Dinner bender?

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Garrett didn't say they were a contender, did he? Are you sure he didn't say something about a blender, or a Kraft Dinner bender?

No, he said it...right after his monologue about the merit of Ritz crackers. Sent me to the cupboard for a handful myself.

Archived