The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should We Relax and Lower Our Expectations?

vladimirpuck

15 hours ago, CanuckianOne said:

Even if we make the playoffs. What chance do we have at winning the cup? 

Normally I'm all "Just get in and we'll see what happens" because it sucks not seeing your team in the playoffs. It really sucks. Looking long term however, the draft picks could be invaluable. You have to look long term at the future. 

Agreed...Plus I think we have our future star...

Pierre McGuire says the Canucks are simply stuck in the reality of a rebuild - they take a long time and are challenging to do. Pierre disputes that a coaching change would help the Canucks, saying the team simply isn't a good team. But McGuire also says there's hope in the system, calling 2015 top choice Brock Boeser "the real McCoy'. Pierre says Boeser "is a bigtime player. He's going to be a really good player in the NHL"

17 hours ago, vladimirpuck said:

Just checked the standings and we're tied for 3rd in the Pacific and 1 point out of 2nd. The Sharks won tonight but they'll probably go on a losing streak starting with their next game, Mike Smith is gone for a couple of months so the Coyotes are in trouble, the Oilers look like they're going to go on a losing streak (lost to the Rangers tonight), the Flames are due for a losing streak (been lucky to squeak out a win their last 2 games), the Ducks are just as bad as us. We suck but everyone else in the Pacific, except the Kings, does too. I'm thinking if we continue to play the way we have been playing we could still make the playoffs. So, if we don't win every game but maybe once in a while mixed in with an OT loss here and there we'll be okay and have a great chance of making the playoffs. I think if we lower our expectations it would be more enjoyable to watch them play and we'd still get to see them make the playoffs. Look at the NFC East in football the top 3 teams are 6-7, the top 2 teams in the AFC South are 6-7, most likely the top teams in those 2 divisions will end up at .500 or under .500. A crappy record doesn't always mean we won't make the playoffs. Heck, the Lions made the CFL playoffs with a record of 7-11!

those who know a few things about hockey had this mindset before the season began.

1 minute ago, Quoted said:

They've been rebuilding for a few years now. The idea that they can stay very competitve is more of a PR postion than reality looking at the roster. It is worse this year because of injuries but hardly a shocking thing.

The PR side of it is ridiculous, and is being exposed pretty clearly now.

This team is lousy.

On the bright side, I've noticed topic titles have become more colourful & creative as of late..albeit, another telltale sign we stink.

Y'see, when a project has gone awry, we optimistic apes need hope in projecting, or the narrative skills to wax poetic on the past. This is an evolutionary intellectual advantage & necessary survival-skill, which keeps us Nux-backers from going dramatically insane.

Now if you'd all like to lie on the figurative sofa, & tell me 'bout your childhoods...

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

had they not had long term injuries to key players, they would be comfortably in a playoff spot right now, imo.

Do you think the injuries to Hamhuis, Sbisa, and Sutter have contributed to the laissez faire attitude of the vets (ie the inability to handle an increased workload), aside from the Sedins and Hansen, or were they incidences that exposed the remaining aforementioned core players as they passengers they really are?

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

No, he said it...right after his monologue about the merit of Ritz crackers. Sent me to the cupboard for a handful myself.

They are paid to sell the game now, it isn't reporting, it is putting the best spin on, in order to keep their jobs.

Remember shorty, he started saying it as it was and bingo, gone.

How about when Burke tried to get, or got the radio guy fired, well it is league wide now, especially with Rogers owning the rights, sort of like, "write our way or no interviews, press passes, quotes, lunch"

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

had they not had long term injuries to key players, they would be comfortably in a playoff spot right now, imo.

Nope...

But there is hope

If one wants to look like a dope

And is relegated to cope

In the noose of a short hanging rope.

Nope.

Just nope.

What worries me most is that WD has had over a year with these guys and they still seem confused about ???

Maybe structure...maybe coverage and positioning...maybe too much thinking not enough instinctive play...

i.e. dumb it down and pump up the pace ...or something like that.

Horvat looks more lost game by game...same for Virbata, Baer, McCann, Weber, ...everyone not named Sedin really  even Tanev and Hutton are looking shaky.

Maybe WD needs to give himself a shake and change things up...or just dumb things down.

12 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

No $&!# captain obvious. Let me rephrase :

5 points up on a 20% chance at Matthews. Feel better now? 

Why did you say 5 points up on mathews then?

Freakin ppl on here, post wrong information on here and take offense when corrected. 

The team is currently meeting my expectations. The worst would be a faint hope for playoff where the Canucks don't capitalize on their veteran assets at the deadline.

If you are watching the Wins & Loses you will be disappointed. Instead try to watch the young players develop with excitement for the future.

After Christmas, when the big dogs start to run, Vancouver will gradually sift to somewhere close to the bottom of the conference. I can't see any realistic way they can start winning consistently against every team they face. Not while they are a one-line team, not while some key players are out of the lineup and not while their young blood has suddenly lost confidence and forgotten how to score.

As far as expectations, I see a team out of the playoffs losing more than they win. This will cost Desjardins his job, which would be appropriate. Willie has proven that he can handle a winning season, but seems exasperated and desperate in his second, less successful year. I expect Benning will let Hamhuis walk and will try to maximize returns for Vrbata, Higgins and Burrows. He should also consider a hockey trade involving Edler, possibly to Detroit for a flock of their youngsters.

Then at the end, perhaps Vancouver will be in a position to finally draft in the top three, with a shot at that elusive stud defenceman they've never had.

So if there is a silver lining in this season of the dark clouds, it is that we have to adopt the long view: that you can lose your competitive edge in the blink of an eye, but it takes a very long time to build it back to where it once was. Benning and his staff appear to have a plan, so it will be interesting to watch it unfold under enormous pressure to succeed.

At the risk of being, oh, just a little sarcastic...YA THINK!! Yes, the expectations need to be lowered, just a little (ahem).

I'll admit I expected somewhat better than what we're seeing. At best, I was thinking that we could sneak into the playoffs with the 7-8 seed. Um, yeah I don't think so now. The lack of anyone drafted from, 2004-5 (?) until Bo, and any signings in that time except for Tanev, has really screwed the team. So...complete rebuild time is upon us. Not tank...never tank...but yes, rebuild. Bye Higgins, bye Weber, bye Hamhuis, bye Vrbata, and soon after, bye Miller and maybe Edler. It was nice to know ya.

Not to say the future is dim. No, there is some quality depth in Utica, but very young and in need of future maturity.

So, a couple/few years of higher draft picks. To me, the biggest need is a 1st pairing d-man that scares the s**t out of anyone foolish enough to venture near our net, ala Pronger in his prime. After that, a true top line center...sorry McCann, you're good but I don't see you being capable of consistent point-a-game production.

Archived