The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should We Relax and Lower Our Expectations?

vladimirpuck

On 16/12/2015 at 6:42 AM, WHL rocks said:

Why did you say 5 points up on mathews then?

Freakin ppl on here, post wrong information on here and take offense when corrected. 

Uhg. It's just short form for coming last in the league. It's understood you might lose the lottery. It's the same every year. Relax on the perfectionism. 

2 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Uhg. It's just short form for coming last in the league. It's understood you might lose the lottery. It's the same every year. Relax on the perfectionism. 

Lol No its not the same every year. Rules changed last year and they do again next year.

Stop making posts with false information and then pretending you OBVIOUSLY  meant something different from what you posted. Annoying as Frak.

On 2015-12-16 at 9:15 PM, Beluga Whale said:

Lol wow we only win a 1/3 of our games. I'm glad I haven't been watching closely this year.

Is it really such a surprise how bad this team is though? 

Exactly, is it a surprise?? It should not be unless you take leave of your senses and believe what Trevor and JB say. This team needs to be rebuilt and that is not a one or two year project. It could be a 10 year project unless it is done expertly (and JB that means you do not give up on players like Seguin because they need some babysitting early in their carreer).

I don't think anyone believed our team was going to be a cup contender - and hence, expectations *should* have been pretty low to begin with.  However, I, for one, was hopeful that we had the players and management in place that could put up a season equal to last year.

However, besides the Sedins and Hansen, our veterans have all underperformed, and we have injuries to key positions.  I would not be so concerned if it looked like we had a lot of great up and comers in the system... but every one of our younger players have underperformed so far as well (in most cases dreadfully so) despite having obvious talent.  Add to that our inconsistent goaltending, and the sad reality is that this team just plain sucks.  Really, if it wasn't for the Sedins we'd be the worst team in the league.  I still love and support the Canucks, but it is what it is.

Even in Utica, only Shinkaruk and Gaunce have looked particularly adept at scoring, and neither of them have proven they can do so at the NHL level despite some try-outs.

So, what does that mean?  It means the Sedins will never win a cup unless somehow we manage to trade them - which seems unlikely. It means we have years of more waiting before our team is a contender again, and it means a full rebuild rather than a retool as was hoped.  And given the latter, if our young guys cannot find a way to play to their potential (and yes, it is far too early to be too worried yet), then completion of a rebuild is far longer away than anyone was previously guessing.

There have been many years where it was difficult to be a Canucks fan.  Unfortunately, it looks like we are now in such years again.

21 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol No its not the same every year. Rules changed last year and they do again next year.

Stop making posts with false information and then pretending you OBVIOUSLY  meant something different from what you posted. Annoying as Frak.

The worst team in the league gets the highest chance of drafting first overall. Has that changed? How is that false information? It's not complicated. 

On 16/12/2015 at 9:11 PM, Vanisleryan said:

Wow you're so glass is half full...cause when I look at the standings I see that were only 3 points up on Anaheim who is last in the conference...which makes us second last in the entire conference oh and Anaheim has 3 games in hand:0

On the positive, We'll miss the Playoffs & get a GREAT piece to the puzzle in next years draft. Then along comes Demko, Boeser, Hunter, Virtanen, Tryamkin, etc.  I'm ok with it as a true fan for almost 40 years. It's all about winning the cup not meritocracy any more.  To me anyways.

58 minutes ago, hearditall said:

On the positive, We'll miss the Playoffs & get a GREAT piece to the puzzle in next years draft. Then along comes Demko, Boeser, Hunter, Virtanen, Tryamkin, etc.  I'm ok with it as a true fan for almost 40 years. It's all about winning the cup not meritocracy any more.  To me anyways.

Me too man...I would love for the Canucks to get that franchise player to get excited about. 

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Honky Cat said:

I dont really understand the OP's train of thought regarding the Oilers..?...How does he deduce that the Oilers are going to go on a losing streak after losing to the Rangers tonight..?...They beat the Bruins last night in Boston,and have only lost one game (tonight against the Rangers) in the whole month of December.......The Oilers do not sound like a team that's trending down.

Including the loss to the Rangers the Oilers have lost 3 straight so far, but they play the Jets tomorrow so the streak might end tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, vladimirpuck said:

Including the loss to the Rangers the Oilers have lost 3 straight so far, but they play the Jets tomorrow so the streak might end tomorrow.

Hats off to you for a perfect prediction,as far the beginning of a losing streak..Into the new year,I do see the Oilers picking up steam,especially with the return of McDavid.....IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Going into the season, I thought we could be a playoff team, and our early success agreed with my analysis. However, as we can see (some more clearly than others) this is no longer the case. As such, I now believe we are no longer a playoff bound team, despite our position in the standings.

3 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Going into the season, I thought we could be a playoff team, and our early success agreed with my analysis. However, as we can see (some more clearly than others) this is no longer the case. As such, I now believe we are no longer a playoff bound team, despite our position in the standings.

Injuries are really taking a toll on the team...especially the older guys...Last nights game was a clear demonstration that this team needs a solid overhaul.

the canucks need a few years of losing, missing the playoffs, drafting high for so many reasons: obviously to stock up the talent pool going forward, but also to take the pressure off the current group to win, to change the mindset of ownership, to weed out the bandwagon fans and reset the expectations of the diehards, and to make winning games feel special again for everybody involved. when that happens,  the atmosphere in the building will improve, seats will start to fill up, players will be optimistic and energetic and confident and we'll be on our way. 

Fan from the very beginning. Whenever the Canucks were in a "transitioning phase" in the past the team would surround what limited skill players they had with tough character players. This current version of a NHL roster is an embarrassment to all of the long suffering fans of this franchise.

I realize that there are a few bright lights on the horizon, however the smoke that management has been blowing up our A$$es about being competitive while transitioning is garbage. If they were ever serious about the playoffs or not wasting the waning years of the Sedin`s careers why would they have this terrible excuse for a old and soft NHL team? How can you possibly hope to succeed in this league when you have one of  the smallest and softest rosters in the NHL?

Very disappointing.

1 hour ago, tas said:

the canucks need a few years of losing, missing the playoffs, drafting high for so many reasons: obviously to stock up the talent pool going forward, but also to take the pressure off the current group to win, to change the mindset of ownership, to weed out the bandwagon fans and reset the expectations of the diehards, and to make winning games feel special again for everybody involved. when that happens,  the atmosphere in the building will improve, seats will start to fill up, players will be optimistic and energetic and confident and we'll be on our way. 

Well said, tas.  I actually think that may be happening anyways, but won't be sure until the offseason.  Hopefully they can pull it off within 3 years. 

I think they can be competitive as soon as next year! They have so many young players ready to contribute that they can take advantage of the cap space and sign 2 of the better free agents this offseason. It would just be nice to draft really high this year in the top 3 and get that franchise forward or dman instead of another number 2 centre. Maybe sign Byfuglien and one of Eriksson, Okposo or Lucic.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Matthews Sutter Eriksson

Baertschi Horvat Burrows

Grenier McCann Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Byfuglien

Sbisa Tryamkin

Markstrom

Miller

Archived