The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should We Relax and Lower Our Expectations?

vladimirpuck

Just now, Crabcakes said:

One asset for one asset is fair.  I think that's what I said.  Sorry if I'm confusing you.

Ah ok well Hammer and Vrbata for Bowey and a 1st I think would be terrific, and if we could then resign Hammer we'd be sitting very very pretty...

I just hope both of those players get the attention they deserve at the deadline and Benning is smart enough to give them a chance at a cup. Should Hammer get one, I'd be surprised if he didn't resign here after as a ufa

On 31/12/2015 at 0:55 AM, McCannon said:

Losing Sutter created bigger hole than people are also stating. Many criticize JB constantly and now see how important getting Sutter was for this team. I agree as well on Sbisa (again another one many bashers like to criticize). We were playing pretty well with our full team, the issue is we have alot of youth, and now a number of journeymen (ahl/nh tweeners like Weber) playing key roles that they are not capable of (they are depth and being forced to play key roles, as are the youth who are not ready for that responsibility).

I don't want to see a tank but I also wouldn't be upset to see us in the running for Matthews, sell of Vrbata, Higgins, Prust at the deadline for picks and then sign Lucic in the offseason. Imagine if we actually got Matthews? He's NHL ready, all of a sudden our team is a contender again and we have riches down the middle with Hank/Sutter/Bo/McCann/Matthews

Its indeed ironic to see many who said we should sell off all the vets and just play youth, seeing what happens when we're forced to put youth in positions they are not ready for ....we lose lot.

Now those same people are complaining again, yet this is what they wanted, but they don't like the result and won't admit that they were wrong in wanting our youth thrown to the wolves.

We sure can dream about Matthews :).  You know what I understand your opinion as a fan or player you never want to tank, but at the same time you want to get something or go somewhere in the future and definitely dropping in the standings the way we are will help that by giving us good chances to get Matthews.

If by chance we could pull off getting a guy like Lucic, he would probably be a beast playing with the Sedins, big tough, hard to move, annoying to other players and he can also score.  The guy is comparable to me as Bertuzzi could have been if he career didn't go bad after the Moore incident and he actually played with the Sedins in their prime and his.   The problem is would he want to go to Vancouver? and would fans openly accept him lol.  I would accept anything that will help our team, but chances are he would sign with a LA again.  

Regardless we need to get younger and youthful as you said.  Trading Miller, Vrbata, Higgins, Burrows and Prust trying to get picks and young players to me is crucial.  I think that we aren't a complete rebuild team no matter what when we have the Sedins there, but as they are getting older they are going to need young players and speed around them.   

1 minute ago, vinnymack said:

We sure can dream about Matthews :).  You know what I understand your opinion as a fan or player you never want to tank, but at the same time you want to get something or go somewhere in the future and definitely dropping in the standings the way we are will help that by giving us good chances to get Matthews.

If by chance we could pull off getting a guy like Lucic, he would probably be a beast playing with the Sedins, big tough, hard to move, annoying to other players and he can also score.  The guy is comparable to me as Bertuzzi could have been if he career didn't go bad after the Moore incident and he actually played with the Sedins in their prime and his.   The problem is would he want to go to Vancouver? and would fans openly accept him lol.  I would accept anything that will help our team, but chances are he would sign with a LA again.  

Regardless we need to get younger and youthful as you said.  Trading Miller, Vrbata, Higgins, Burrows and Prust trying to get picks and young players to me is crucial.  I think that we aren't a complete rebuild team no matter what when we have the Sedins there, but as they are getting older they are going to need young players and speed around them.   

Agree, I'd still keep Miller and Burr around though. They are competitors and real pro's and Marky isn't ready yet. Miller with a better defense in front of him is still a great goalie, our defense just sucks.

I'd move Vrbata, Hammer (and hope to resign him in the offsesason), Prust, Higgins for sure though

Just now, McCannon said:

Agree, I'd still keep Miller and Burr around though. They are competitors and real pro's and Marky isn't ready yet. Miller with a better defense in front of him is still a great goalie, our defense just sucks.

I'd move Vrbata, Hammer (and hope to resign him in the offsesason), Prust, Higgins for sure though

Burrows might be beneficial still for experience with the younger players, but the rest should go I think. 

I'm not sure I agree with you about Markstrom/Miller.  I could be wrong but I feel watching games aside from the LA game which our D didn't help Marky at all, he has looked a bit better to me than Miller and most of the season so far has played good.  His stats are also better than Millers.  I know that it might not be completely relevant seeing how he has played less games and your stats are usually better often in that case, but I just feel he looks more composed in net than Miller.

I feel the team looks more confident with Markstrom, but I guess the question is, is he ready to play almost every game and handle that pressure that comes with it?.  I think Miller's best years are behind him and I'm not saying he's not a good goalie, but I'm not sure I feel like that he is great anymore.   I do agree our bad defense this season doesn't help and either goalie is going to struggle with the way our D is playing.   But looking back, we all saw what happened to Lack when he was pushed too fast into the pressure, he was really good, but struggled under the pressure at some point.  I feel Marky will be a lot better than Lack ever was, but who knows if he is ready to play a lot yet, I hope he is and if not now at least for next season.

12 minutes ago, vinnymack said:

Burrows might be beneficial still for experience with the younger players, but the rest should go I think. 

I'm not sure I agree with you about Markstrom/Miller.  I could be wrong but I feel watching games aside from the LA game which our D didn't help Marky at all, he has looked a bit better to me than Miller and most of the season so far has played good.  His stats are also better than Millers.  I know that it might not be completely relevant seeing how he has played less games and your stats are usually better often in that case, but I just feel he looks more composed in net than Miller.

I feel the team looks more confident with Markstrom, but I guess the question is, is he ready to play almost every game and handle that pressure that comes with it?.  I think Miller's best years are behind him and I'm not saying he's not a good goalie, but I'm not sure I feel like that he is great anymore.   I do agree our bad defense this season doesn't help and either goalie is going to struggle with the way our D is playing.   But looking back, we all saw what happened to Lack when he was pushed too fast into the pressure, he was really good, but struggled under the pressure at some point.  I feel Marky will be a lot better than Lack ever was, but who knows if he is ready to play a lot yet, I hope he is and if not now at least for next season.

I agree with all of this and the reason I'd keep miller is what you allude to, let Marky be eased in and miller handle the pressure that comes from being the number 1 in vancouver and what will probably be another tough year....no reason to bust Marky, he does however look very good and certainly looks to be that the made the right decision keeping him over lack.

I respect your opinion you seem like a very knowledgeable and objective fan.  I think with Miller injured Markstrom has the chance or prove how good he is now and we'll see how he handles the pressure. I think if he does well and looks good for the rest of the season for us, than maybe in the off season I would explore options if I were Bennig in seeing what we could get in return for Miller as far as prospects or picks.  For the rest of the season it might be best to keep Miller for experience and not rushing things with Markstrom which can often be a bad thing.  I guess go with the saying here "patience is a virtue".  I guess time will tell.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived