The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VALK: VIRTANEN LIKELY TO RETURN TO HITMEN AFTER WORLD JUNIORS

hockeydude474

5 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

He hasn't bee physical as of late. Terrible in his own end. Not putting up any numbers let alone shots. Right now hes playing like a poor mans david booth.

he's playing careful, I'll give you that, but he's definitley not terrible in his own end.  in fact, he is playing very disciplined, positional hockey in the defensive zone.  He's almost never out of position and I don't think I've seen more than a goal, maybe two that is attributable to him in any way.  To me, it all boils down to confidence (which WD hasn't helped with).........I have absolutely no issues with the way he's played.

Hey guys I made a montage of Bear and Higgins goals the last 3 weeks, hope you enjoy:

Seriously though if you guys want JV to get top 6 minutes might as well keep him and replace the players that have no business playing top 6 minutes.  It would be asinine to send him back to junior.

15 hours ago, leomessi said:

how credible is valk? 

If he's talking about things that are on-ice related I'd say quite credible.

If he's talking about team organization /personnel movement, I'd say not so much imo. 

A good case could be made to either keep or send JV back - I'm confident JB/WD will make the right choice either way. 

1 hour ago, clutesi said:

Meh, we're not going to win anything this year. Send him down and play him in all the big situations, let him built a skill set without worrying about making mistakes. 

If it is the same coach there as last year, he will likely get restricted minutes again. His coach didn't seem to like him. I honestly think the WC are going to be massive for him.

9 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

If it is the same coach there as last year, he will likely get restricted minutes again. His coach didn't seem to like him. I honestly think the WC are going to be massive for him.

He gave Tambellini, Rankin, and Lang the key minutes last season.

Those 3 are all gone now so he should get those prime minutes if he goes back.

On 16/12/2015 at 9:14 PM, Pickly said:

Good he shouldn't have been on the team in the first place. Don't get me wrong I like Jake but he ain't ready for the show.

If the Canucks were playing good hockey, Virts could have got on a roll... But this isn't the winning atmosphere our rookies nneed to be playing 10 mins per game in. Oilers have proven you can't breed winners by being losers

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:15 PM, leomessi said:

how credible is valk? 

More credible than you.  That's for sure.

The OP is citing Canucks Army which is not credible imo.

I listened to a Valk interview this afternoon and he said that he thought that Virtanen would benefit by going back to junior after the WJC.  He didn't say that was expected.  This would imply that he had some inside knowledge which I don't believe he has.  These interviews ask for opinions and the interviewees are introduced as insiders, which they are not, they are members of the media.  He played in the NHL until 2003 so he knows some people.  It is Valks opinion.

It worked for Draisaitl.

In all honesty, Jake hasn't impressed other than his physical game and there are plenty of capable 4th liners around. It almost felt like at the start of the season there was no question that McCann deserved a spot with his play and they were forced to throw Jake in as well to save face. He has looked good, and he's looked bad. I think it would be the best move for the short-term and long-term.

No doubt he is physically ready for the NHL but I don't know, his game isn't there quite yet.

Archived