The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stuck in the reality of a rebuild - Pierre McGuire

AriGold

5 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

imho The parity will be extreme enough this season in our division so the team will be 'in the hunt' all season long.

This is good news, actually, because that means they won't have to go through sweeping changes like they did after the Torts year.  It's a bloody waste of cash and resources to go through that song and dance after every bad year during a rebuild phase.

I have great confidence that the Canucks can finish last in the conference and have a real shot at a top 3 or better pick. That is good news as far as I am concerned. Kesler cannot/will not screw over the Canucks a 2nd time. Bieksa won't let him! :) 

The Canucks are 1 Twin injury away from the #1 pick. Realistically can they each maintain a almost 1 ppg pace for the rest of the season. All NHL teams know that shutting the Canucks down is centered around the Twins. Either they run out of gas or one gets injured is my guess.

As it sits now Jimmy will have 1 First Round, 3 Seconds,  move some vets out and supplement that.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I have great confidence that the Canucks can finish last in the conference and have a real shot at a top 3 or better pick. That is good news as far as I am concerned. Kesler cannot/will not screw over the Canucks a 2nd time. Bieksa won't let him! :) 

The Canucks are 1 Twin injury away from the #1 pick. Realistically can they each maintain a almost 1 ppg pace for the rest of the season. All NHL teams know that shutting the Canucks down is centered around the Twins. Either they run out of gas or one gets injured is my guess.

As it sits now Jimmy will have 1 First Round, 3 Seconds,  move some vets out and supplement that.

The hamhuis injury was unfortunate from an organizational context.  I don't think there's any way he's back by the trade deadline.  Thats the kind of injury that ends a career at his age, the Canucks will almost certainly miss out on the return for Hammer. 

Boesser, Horvat, McCann, Virtanten, Shinkaruk, Chychrun, Tryamkin, Hutton, Demko,...add in some top free agents with the soon to be achieved cap room and this is what keeps me interested.  Would be nice to see these guys step up whole the twins are around and can benefit for the first time in their careers from secondary scoring and speed.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

The hamhuis injury was unfortunate from an organizational context.  I don't think there's any way he's back by the trade deadline.  Thats the kind of injury that ends a career at his age, the Canucks will almost certainly miss out on the return for Hammer. 

The initial report said 8 weeks for Hammer...that is right around the trade deadline.

I don't think they trade him anyway though.

17 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Don't people compare Shink to Boeser?  I remember ready something along those lines.

I've never heard that comparison...

Shink is a small, fast, agile, shifty skater,with good vision, release.  Has been working on his 2 way game in Utica to help round out his game

Brock has a horvat esq frame plays a heavy two way game has a great release that is both hard and accurate. Comes with a very well rounded game. Fast skater but havnt seen enough of his skating to really evaluate it.  

So yes they have a couple things in common but play a very different style.

15 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Random task:  Find a prospect he wasn't excited about.

So true...Always fun to Youtube the Amateur Draft and listen to McGuire and McKenzie gushing about Schroeder and Hodgson on their draft days...That being said,this time around,I do think that Brock Boesser is the real deal.

11 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

So true...Always fun to Youtube the Amateur Draft and listen to McGuire and McKenzie gushing about Schroeder and Hodgson on their draft days...That being said,this time around,I do think that Brock Boesser is the real deal.

I don't think there's a prospect that McGuire doesn't like.

Boeser was a very solid under the radar pick. When everyone else was distracted by CHL players like Konecny and Merkley, Benning went after the guy most of us didn't even know much about.

The margin between being a top 3 divisional team and last in the conference is razor-thin. This team was already built relying heavily on key players staying healthy, and hoping for contributions in surprising areas. Neither of those things has happened.

We probably won't be as close to a playoff spot as we are right now for the rest of the season.

We have a lot of great coming prospects, but we only have one forward on the good side of 27 with years of NHL experience. If the Sedins retired tomorrow we'd be worse than the worst Oilers lineup you can think of from the last 6 years.

We have 3 good players (Sutter, Tanev, Sbisa) that are under the age of 26 that have played 250+ games in the NHL.

We can't even buy our way out of this in free agency.

We could be in for years of being terrible.

PLEASE! Move the Horvat line to the top with Dorset and Baertschi... Just try it..... I sense these guys have chemistry. Who knows, Next WCE?! Time to bring up the youth to the front!!! Lets GO CANUCKS!!!!!!!

Baertchi - Horvat - Dorset

Sedins - Hansen

Higgins - McCann - Vrbata

Prust - Cracknell - Burrows

Hutton - Tanev

Edler - Biega

Bart - Weber

Markstrom

Miller

1 minute ago, MGL Canuck said:

PLEASE! Move the Horvat line to the top with Dorset and Baertschi... Just try it..... I sense these guys have chemistry. Who knows, Next WCE?! Time to bring up the youth to the front!!! Lets GO CANUCKS!!!!!!!

Sedins - Hansen

Burrows - McCann - Vrbata

Hutton - Tanev

Edler - Biega

Bart - Weber

Markstrom

Miller

Burrows can't even manage contributing on one line and you have him on two?

Same players - same outcome.

29 minutes ago, MGL Canuck said:

Sedins - Hansen

Higgins - McCann - Vrbata

Hutton - Tanev

Edler - Biega

Bart - Weber

Markstrom

Miller

File:Harry-potter-who-are-you.gif

Archived