The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stuck in the reality of a rebuild - Pierre McGuire

AriGold

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team has yet to learn about working hard and staying in games. They have checked out in various games this year, so one can't really say that it has been followed through on.

And while Bartkowski and Weber have some speed, they are both the very definition of sub par defensemen. They blow zone coverage and lack the physicality to deter an aggressive forecheck. Neither possesses enough talent to build with, or off of.

The Canucks were in every game this year until injuries hit full force.  Every loss was a one goal game.  The change came after the loss of several key pieces, and there have been some god awful performances after that.  So I don't think its fair to say the team hasn't worked hard with the exception of recent events.    

Bartkowksi has more than "some" speed.  He is a very fast D man.  I agree the coverage hasn't been what it should be, but it has been turnovers too.      

The players may not have followed through recently, but Benning has in terms of what he wanted out there.  Speed and 200' players.  Not sure who else was available that would have better filled Benning's vision at the back end other than Corrado.  But when faced with the choice of Hutton or Corrado that isn't a hard call.   

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They aren't? Could have fooled me.

Kings trade 1st and Mckeown for Andrej Sekera

That was only last trade deadline

First of all, it was a conditional pick so Carolina gets its pick a year later. Secondly Sekera was only 28, not 33 and 34. The only player we could hope for a 1st from would be Hammy and we would likely have to include another asset or two. I doubt we get a 1st for Vrbata unless we include other players or picks in a package. Lancaster was hoping for 3 or 4 1st rounders. Do you think we will get that?

15 hours ago, JamesB said:

No argument from me. Benning's strategy has no wiggle room. As you point out, one key injury and the lack of depth is a big problem.

But I think that both Sutter and Hammer are key injuries.

The Canuck D looks a lot worse w/o Hammer than it did with him. In the two games since he was injured the D has, in my view, been badly exposed.

The Canucks D has been a growing problem since 2011. Too many 6/7s playing top four.

We may have one of the worst, if not the worst, D cores in the league

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

The Sedins peak years have already been burned. No matter how the rebuild is done the Sedins are unlikely see a contender in Vancouver unless they sign another extension and play to 39/40.

Not a chance. Daniel led the nhl last year in primary assists and was robbed of Hart nomination 

This year he's been without a doubt one of leagues MVPs... 

The Sedins are generational talents. They have NOT peaked. They'll be elite until 40.

17 minutes ago, apollo said:

Not a chance. Daniel led the nhl last year in primary assists and was robbed of Hart nomination 

The Sedins are generational talents. They have NOT peaked. They'll be elite until 40.

I truly believe this statement. Players slow down and lose their edge on age because they've lost a step. With the Sedins they've never accomplished anything in their careers due to their speed its always been great passing, cycling and shielding the puck. I honestly see them being effective until they're 40 dropping down to a 2nd line role. 

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

First of all, it was a conditional pick so Carolina gets its pick a year later. Secondly Sekera was only 28, not 33 and 34. The only player we could hope for a 1st from would be Hammy and we would likely have to include another asset or two. I doubt we get a 1st for Vrbata unless we include other players or picks in a package. Lancaster was hoping for 3 or 4 1st rounders. Do you think we will get that?

Who cares if it was conditional it was still a 1st.

Top 6 forwards come at a premium just like D-men. It doesn't matter what age they are, they're rentals. The Kings had no intention of re-signing Sekera, they didn't have the cap space.

All that matters is how the player is performing that season, which is what may hurt his value more than anything. If he was playing like last season he would get a 1st no question. This season if he doesn't pick up his game he might only fetch a 2nd. He needs to go on a tear to up his value.

23 hours ago, apollo said:

Robbed of Hart for primary assists? lmao

When they start handing out the Hart for primary assists over total points/goals we'll know the fix is in. But even over Benn, Taveres and Crosby, Price was a no brainer for the Hart last season leading the league in wins on a team that didn't have a single point producer in the top 20. He also led all starters in S% and GAA and tied second for shutouts. Again, a no brainer. Ganiel may be our MVP, but not the leagues.

Although still among the best in the league the Sedins peak is gone as far as playing for a contender here.

Archived