The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shaw to buy Wind Mobile

Lancaster

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/16/shaw-communications-buying-wind-mobile-in-deal-valued-at-16-billion

Shaw Communications buying Wind Mobile in deal valued at $1.6 billion

THE CANADIAN PRESS

First posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 07:21 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 07:25 PM EST

Shaw A Shaw Communications sign at the company's headquarters in Calgary, Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015. Shaw Communications has reached an agreement to buy Wind Mobile in a transaction valued at $1.6 billion. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Report an error

CALGARY -- Shaw Communications  is making its long-anticipated foray into the wireless business by picking up Wind Mobile for $1.6 billion.

The Calgary-based telecommunications company says it will acquire the country's fourth-largest mobile operator by subscribers, pending a number of regulatory approvals, including the Competition Bureau and the Ministry of Innovation, Science & Economic Development.

Shaw expects the transaction to close in the third quarter of 2016.

Wind Mobile was formed exactly six years ago on Wednesday as part of group of new entrants in Canada's wireless industry, a move encouraged by the federal Conservative government to stoke competition.

Since then, telecom giant Telus was rebuffed by the government in multiple attempts to buy Wind Mobile.

Wind Mobile has run into financial problems and has had difficulty raising money for its capital investments, but a change in its ownership structure late last year cleared the way for it to raise funds.

The Toronto-based company has 940,000 subscribers across Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta.

Shaw chief operating officer Jay Mehr told The Canadian Press the company needed to enter the wireless market in order to satisfy the demands of its customers.

"We've always wanted, for the future of our company, to be able to deliver a complete converged network experience for consumers and businesses alike," he said.

As a Wind customer, I don't mind having the company in a more financially stable footing.  That being said, I'm not sure how much of a difference this would make in regards to competition.  I would be more receptive if instead it was some behemoth US company moved in and really make Robelus tremble. 

27 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Considering SHAW charges a premium for their services, I assume rate hikes are only a matter of time?

I wonder how sustainable Wind's current plans are? It doesn't seem like they've be doing so well for ahwile now... hence the sale, I guess.

2 hours ago, KFBR392 said:

As a shareholder this excites me.

as an investor, I HAVE to ask why you'd be excited about having money in a company which inherently has a certain fixed overhead based on area and distance and provides many services that are being replaced with newer business models in a country with extremely low population density and massive area and distance between hubs

15 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

as an investor, I HAVE to ask why you'd be excited about having money in a company which inherently has a certain fixed overhead based on area and distance and provides many services that are being replaced with newer business models in a country with extremely low population density and massive area and distance between hubs

Whoa. Now that's a run on sentence.

The only thing I really care about is if my plan will be grandfathered or not. I'm going to be pretty choked if my $37 unlimited everything is going to all the sudden become $70 unlimited talk and text with a GB of data. 

4 hours ago, Fateless said:

The only thing I really care about is if my plan will be grandfathered or not. I'm going to be pretty choked if my $37 unlimited everything is going to all the sudden become $70 unlimited talk and text with a GB of data. 

$70 plus hidden fees. There is no way in hell Shaw wont raise prices. The only question is how long existing subscribers can hang on to their low priced deals.

I use shaw and I've been fairly satisfied with their service plus they don't have annoying commercials like Telus.  I'd be interested in bundling my cel. phone with them if the price is right, I currently use Chatr monthly.

Shaw can't raise the price that much since there is Rogers, Bells and Telus. What incentives would customers from other providers have to switch to Shaw if it was the same price as the competition. I see Shaw trying to bundle all the services so customers could save at the end. Imagine $150 per month for phone, internet, TV, cell phone plan all in one bill. I pay 115 for the TV, internet and phone package and I could see something like this being offered and for only $35 more have a cell phone plan that could also have data. I just don't see shaw raising the price to be similar to competition since they would have poor customer pull if they did that.

Archived