The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your thought of what the canucks should do? should we tank or consider shopping guys and pick up via waviers.

MattCanuck

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

...and then Sutter came back and they went on a 20-3 league wide tear and... finished in the middle of the pack... again...

...and Higgins is still on the team.

Yeah! hopefully Sutter is healthy and able to go soon, id love to see guys like Shinkaruk a chance in the NHL seeing he only got the 1 game vs montreal, but personally id like to see higgins gone except idk if anyone would want him.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Matt, please take some advise.  Cool it.  You're putting gasoline on the fire.

You need a thick skin on here.  Just be careful with your posts because, if you make a mistake, some people will take off on that and miss your real point altogether.

Otherwise, it can be fun and informative. :/

I know, i dont mean to act rude. its just fraustrated when fans like myself can't try and get word out there because of 1 little mistake. 

but yeah im all good now, i just want to have a good conversation with some fellow fans and see what yours and others feeling are with the team 

4 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Well this happens quite a lot on here. 

yeah .. its just  like a crappy feeling when others who like something like i or you do, can be putting down when we need to be like (one), i said what i had to because i wanted my point across and not to sound rude. 

1 minute ago, MattCanuck said:

I know, i dont mean to act rude. its just fraustrated when fans like myself can't try and get word out there because of 1 little mistake. 

but yeah im all good now, i just want to have a good conversation with some fellow fans and see what yours and others feeling are with the team 

I know.  You're new.  We all were once.

Trade players we can replace via farm system:

Immeditately trade:

Higgins (For a 5th round pick to free roster space)  

Deal at deadline:

Prust (keep prust till deadline flip him for late 2nd high 3rd)

Vrbata (Attempt to deal vrbata sooner then later if poss for a 1st + maybe a mid 20's nhl rdy prospect.)

Weber (explore trades leading up to the deadline to move weber as a depth dman on a contending team)

Keep hammer for the time being.  thats what id do imo.  We could deal hammer but i would feel bad after he took a puck too the face.  

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Trade players we can replace via farm system:

Immeditately trade:

Higgins (For a 5th round pick to free roster space)  

Deal at deadline:

Prust (keep prust till deadline flip him for late 2nd high 3rd)

Vrbata (Attempt to deal vrbata sooner then later if poss for a 1st + maybe a mid 20's nhl rdy prospect.)

Weber (explore trades leading up to the deadline to move weber as a depth dman on a contending team)

Keep hammer for the time being.  thats what id do imo.  We could deal hammer but i would feel bad after he took a puck too the face.  

I like your thinking, freeing those spots would create more spending money at the FA and possibly getting Lucic if he were ever a UFA or some other play who looks like a standout 

1 minute ago, MattCanuck said:

Thanks my man, and also this maybe a noobie question. but how would i be able to try and get my rank up? just by posting?

Yes.  Rank doesn't really matter.  Over time you'll learn what you'll get flamed over and what others will like.  Not that you should post for those reasons.  You'll know what to expect though. 

Also, it you start a thread, you're putting yourself out there.  Just do a quick search to see if there is already a thread on the topic (otherwise you'll be flamed).  So be ready.  Sometimes you'll hit a hot button topic.  Other times, it could be ignored.

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Yes.  Rank doesn't really matter.  Over time you'll learn what you'll get flamed over and what others will like.  Not that you should post for those reasons.  You'll know what to expect though. 

Also, it you start a thread, you're putting yourself out there.  Just do a quick search to see if there is already a thread on the topic (otherwise you'll be flamed).  So be ready.  Sometimes you'll hit a hot button topic.  Other times, it could be ignored.

Well said advice, and i shall note that for next time.

23 minutes ago, MattCanuck said:

yeah .. its just  like a crappy feeling when others who like something like i or you do, can be putting down when we need to be like (one), i said what i had to because i wanted my point across and not to sound rude. 

Don't worry Matt.

I do find it interesting that some posters are always helpful and pleasant and other guys are always jerks -- always looking for a chance to put someone down. It happens even more on CDC than in real life because some guys are more aggressive when protected by being anonymous.

But if you ignore the jerks, you can learn some useful things and engage in some interesting discussions on CDC.

As for your basic question, it is hard to get useful players on the waiver wire. I don't think that will help the Canucks. There has been a big debate about what the Canucks should do. My personal preferred plan is:

1. Accept the fact this is not our year and we need to get more good young players in the system.

2. We should trade whichever vets we can (apart from the Sedins) when the trade deadline approaches in order to accumulate draft picks. The most obvious guy is Vrbata. He should be worth at least a second round pick and, if he heats up a bit, might be worth a (low) first round pick. After his injury Hammer will not be tradable, but other guys might possibly be worth a 2nd round pick or lower, depending on how things go from here. Other guys on expiring contracts who might be tradable for low picks include Prust, Weber, and Grabowski. Higgins and Burrows each have a year left after this year but might be tradable.

3. Then we need a good draft.

4. I would send McCann to the WJC (if they will still take them this late) and then send both McCann and Virtanen back to Junior and use the opportunity to take a good look at the guys in Utica who are playing well (Gaunce, Grenier, Shinkaruk, maybe Friesen, maybe Jones).

(There is a lot of talk about "tanking". This is not tanking. Tanking is when a team sets out early in the season to do badly in order to get high draft picks. Making trades at the deadline is just rational asset management and is done every year by teams that are unlikely to make the playoffs.)

45 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Stay the course...This season ,I feel no shame for the Canucks finishing behind the pack...Is that weird or what?

They've conditioned us to be pleased with it, with four straight years of missing the playoffs or being out in the first round.  Making the playoffs is actually a bad thing now, since it just leads to disappointment, and it's been enough years of failure in a row that we actually appreciate the high draft pick, since nothing was going to happen in the playoffs anyway.

Pretty apparent to me that this team is not going to win the Stanley cup anytime soon. Even if we do manage to squeeze into the playoff picture I can't see us making any noise. Trading away expiring contracts such as vrabata and hamuis for draft picks or prospects is the way go imo. Basically stay the course. Benning and Co will get er done

Hope 1-2 players get called up from utica. take some vets out and insert some youth. make a statement you either show up or you get replaced.  I'm fine with losing but we cant be getting steam rolled 6-2.  Hope Jim and Willie like what they see in utica.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

They've conditioned us to be pleased with it, with four straight years of missing the playoffs or being out in the first round.  Making the playoffs is actually a bad thing now, since it just leads to disappointment, and it's been enough years of failure in a row that we actually appreciate the high draft pick, since nothing was going to happen in the playoffs anyway.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing...18 years ago..we had the 2nd overall pick..and drafted Trevor Linden.

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

Maybe it's not such a bad thing...18 years ago..we had the 2nd overall pick..and drafted Trevor Linden.

And next draft will be 17 years since we drafted 2nd overall and took Daniel Sedin.

That pick along with Henrik set this franchise up for more than 15 years. I would say it's about time we get another player like that in the system.

Archived