The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your thought of what the canucks should do? should we tank or consider shopping guys and pick up via waviers.

MattCanuck

Lets make some moves to load up................Utica for another deep run at the calder that way at least some of our rookies can develop in a winning environment. Send Mcann to Sioux because they have a legit shot at the mem cup and send Virtanen back to the hitmen to go re learn how to score again. Heck send Bo to utica while were at it because being put in the position he has been can't be good for him. Scoop up some waiver scraps or make some minor trades to fill in.

Then burn this %$&#er to the ground between now and next year move Vrbata, Higgins, Prust, Dorsett, Edler, Webber.

That leaves us with a good leadership group of players who are hard to play against and have fought in the trenches.

Sedins -----------

--------- Sutter Burr

Vrtanen Boho  Hansen

------- Mcann ---------

---------- Tanev

Hamhuis  Hutton

Sbisa Bart

Pedan Biega

And around 21 mill inc the cap increase to spend in signing or trading assets for 2 top 6 fwds Okposo Lucic? And a legit #1D or 2 top 4D Yandle, Hammonic, Byfuglien, Gudbranson, etc lots of options.

That leaves 2-3 open spots for what's left of Baer,Hunter, Gaunce, Kenni, Grenier, Vey (after trades) to fight the RoG parking lot over.

7 hours ago, MattCanuck said:

I know, i dont mean to act rude. its just fraustrated when fans like myself can't try and get word out there because of 1 little mistake. 

but yeah im all good now, i just want to have a good conversation with some fellow fans and see what yours and others feeling are with the team 

Hey, it happens to the best of us.  Another word of advice, just let it roll off... You acknowledged the mistake, some posters won't let it go, ignore them and set an example by sticking to your point.  They'll give up if you don't bite my friend.

8 hours ago, MattCanuck said:

you mean the same guy who does alot of drugs? and broke up Guns N roses ... Why the hell not ..

As a supporter of a team, the fans are suppose to be a family, yet this feels more like the riot and nobody can get along, 

i just wanted to hear openions, not be talked down to

This isn't a family. It's an Internet chat forum.   

You are getting torn apart because you came off as kind of........dumb, in your first post.  

you didn't 'miss word' it, you didn't understand. And that is fine, but don't get defensive when people correct you. It's gonna happen. A lot.  Especially here.  

I would send McCaan to the WJC then back to the CHL, same as Virtanen.  I would then call up a Friesen or equivalent to fill the roster and ride out the storm.  Essentially, put the kids in winning environments and play out the year with guys who aren't part of the future.  

Next year play Virtanen, McCaan, Shinkaruk and of course, Matthews!

Top 1-3 pick will be a major boon to this rebuild. 

so, let me get this straight...people are saying that we should fire tl, jb, wd, and trade half the team for 1st or 2nd round picks, bring up utica to finish off the year .....lose 1/2 the season ticket holders and move the franchise to vegas...does that about sum it up?

I would like to see the team do everything they can to stay competitive. I prefer to watch the Canucks win - full stop.

If their season ends in dire straits and they profit with a high draft pick, so be it. That could very well land us a premier player moving forward.

A lot of people like to jump up and down saying something to the effect of, "Linden! Sedins! Second overall! Stanley Cup" but don't seem to analyze that line of thinking any further. I'd like to do so for them here:

Linden was taken with the second overall pick in his draft year, yes. He went on to captain his team to the finals, right again. What's missing from the narrative is that teams best player was acquired in the following year's draft. In the sixth round. The very same year the Canucks deployed the 8th overall on Jason Herter.  Terrible as they were they selected second overall again in 1990. Their choice that year isn't a name you often hear from the advocates of organizationally designed losing. 

The Sedins were taken second and third overall in 1999, correct. The Canucks also picked in the four hole the year before. Does anyone remember Bryan Allen? Or how about 99's first overall. How is he working out in Atlanta?

Back when the Sedins were nothing more than career second liners we still had an electric team. Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Morrison were, for a time, the best line in hockey. None of them were high draft picks. None of them were even Canuck draft picks but were instead aquired through shrewd trading. You know who went first overall the year NYI picked Bertuzzi late in the first? Daigle. The Canucks selections in those two years, with both of their future franchise players still on the board, were Mike Wilson and Alek Stojanov.

The examples are endless. As it pertains to defenceman, a present weakness for the team, especially. Who would you rather have Bouwmeester (3rd), Pitkanen (4th), Whitney (5th), or Keith (54th)? Not recent enough for you? How about Gudbranson (3rd) or Faulk (37th)? There are going to be franchise quality players available throughout the draft. Benning strikes me as a hard worker with a good eye for talent. I think he can find one.

If we are as bad as everyone hopes we are and end up with the high pick, fine. But I don't think they'll suck on purpose - and I hope they don't. I prefer a winning team. Or as close to one as they can manage.

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

so, let me get this straight...people are saying that we should fire tl, jb, wd, and trade half the team for 1st or 2nd round picks, bring up utica to finish off the year .....lose 1/2 the season ticket holders and move the franchise to vegas...does that about sum it up?

Can we just move vegas to vancouver instead and get 2 birds stoned at once.

Technically we are tanking... It may not be so obvious like the Edmonton OIlers but we have gotten rid of veterans, injected youth into our line up and will be doing for the upcoming season. We can't just trade all our veterans in one season. we have gotten younger this year and we ill get younger and better next season(most likely with a high pick too with the way the season is going).

4 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Do you realize how many other threads there are exactly like this.

Do you realize that none of that is important. If you want to talk about the Current state of the team, A new thread would be better than a year old thread. Does it really bother you that someone made post about this? If so.. You may wanna keep off the site.

Bo looks like a shell of the player he was in the playoffs last season.

check dem plays.  Hope he get things settled down and can adjust his game.  Sutters return will hopefully help with that.  I think Horvat might actually excel if mccann goes to wjc.  Put the focus back on him as the only rookie maybe he can loosen up and play his game.  Hes trying to hard to be a leader among the youth. needs to just play his game and let things happen naturally.  Hes looked like a 3rd or 4th line grinder with some of the shots hes taken on high grade chances.  Gotta loosen up bo.

We can still be competitive even if we trade some vets to upgrade our D. Especially non-impact vets like Higgins. And vets with no foreseeable future with our team after this season like Prust. Unless we start winning again, it would be logical to sell.

Keep the twins and Tanev. Move Edler (and Hammer if he's healthy) at the deadline. (Remember, last season Keith Yandle yielded Anthony Duclair for the 'Yotes) Burrows, Higgins, Hansen....if there's a deal to be made that helps the team a year or two down the road, do it. No-one but the three aforementioned players should be untouchable.

Contending teams are always looking for defense and scoring at the deadline, so Hamhuis and Vrbata should have some value. (Call it "tanking" if you like. I don't really care)

Fill the holes with anyone from Utica who's ready and players on short term deals.

I wanted to turn this lineup over last season, but better late than never.

I just checked where we are in the standings. If the season ended today, we'd be picking 5th overall.

I think we're in tank mode now, but not on purpose. Its hard to win when you have this many key guys down and out.

Should be an interesting deadline, but don't expect any major deals to happen before then.

I don't think you need to go extreme with the tank like the Oilers.  Injuries have pretty much f*cked this group, which was shallow as a puddle to begin with.  3 really good 1st round picks over the last two years already, Virtanen, McCaan, and Boeser.  Add to that with another really good pick this year (doesn't have to be top 3, it can still be a really good pick) and continue to build the next gen of Canucks.   

Archived