The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#Fankly Speaking w/ Prust on Canucks Collapse

Warhippy

PHILADELPHIA - Two weeks ago, after the Vancouver Canucks were blasted by the Anaheim Ducks, Canucks’ GM Jim Benning told the Vancouver Sun it was the most disappointing loss of his tenure.

Benning questioned the Canucks’ toughness and unity, saying they didn’t “stick up for one another when someone was picking on one of our guys.”

Vancouver has only spiraled further out of control since. Over the last month, they’ve plummeted from a tie for first place in the Pacific to 13th in the Western Conference.

The Canucks (11-13-8) have just four wins since Nov. 10. And after Tuesday’s shellacking in Minnesota, it’s impossible to tell whether the Canucks have hit rock bottom. They will only be halfway through a six-game road trip after Thursday night’s stop against the Flyers.

Vancouver sorely misses Brandon Sutter, Dan Hamhuis and even Luca Sbisa, out due to injury. Having those players sidelined has exposed Vancouver’s dearth of depth. Chris Tanev and Alex Edler are overwhelmed. Goaltender Ryan Miller has been left out to dry. Young players Jared McCann and Bo Horvat look lost at times. McCann, 19, told the Vancouver Province recently he’s had trouble sleeping at night during his now 13-game scoring drought. Promising rookie Jake Virtanen has been loaned to Team Canada for the World Juniors and might not be back this season.

The list goes on and on.

Brandon Prust, 31, has been through these ups and downs before. The first-year Canuck has seven points in 21 games since arriving in Vancouver via trade last summer.

Here are five minutes with Prust on the Canucks’ struggles, how to right the ship, and his fight card this season:

TSN: How do you self-diagnose what’s been happening with the Canucks of late?

Prust: “It hasn’t been that easy to pinpoint. It’s kind of been a bunch of things. We’ve had some ups and downs. We’ve had some times we’ve looked great, where I think we look like a Stanley Cup contender. Then we’ve had slumps where we feel like a bottom-feeder. You know, we’re in one right now. It’s about getting out of slumps as fast as you can. We’re struggling to put the puck in the net. There’s a lot of games that we’ve been in. There’s been a lot of games we feel like we deserved to win, but we haven’t scored on our opportunities. (Tuesday night) that wasn’t the case at all. It was pretty lopsided. We have to rectify and realize what we’re doing wrong, getting our compete and battle level up.”

TSN: You’ve had a few games during this run where your team was almost never in it from the start of games. Can you put your finger on why? Is it a preparation issue?

Prust: “I think we’re well prepared. We’ve talked about getting off to a good start, something that every team focuses on, setting the tone. We just haven’t done that.”

TSN: What do you say to a guy like Ryan Miller after Tuesday’s game in Minnesota?

Prust: “I mean, games like that happen. They happen to everybody in the league. They happen at any given time. It’s a game that you learn from. It’s one of those games that Millsy knows we’re going to pick him up. We don’t have to go give him a huge and apologize. We have to pick him up by winning the next couple and making life a little easier for him.”

TSN: Invariably, when you’re in a spiral like this, fans and media start to percolate about Willie Desjardins’ job security. With each loss, the chatter mounts. We’ve had two coaching changes already and it isn’t Christmas yet. What do you make of that?

Prust: “I don’t really listen to media. I don’t listen to radio. I don’t read newspapers. I don’t even really watch a lot of hockey - but I’m sure some guys do. This is not a coaching thing. It’s the players. It’s us. We need to be better. We know that. It’s on us to take responsibility.”

TSN: What’s the first step to doing that and getting this team back on the rails?

Prust: “We need to get everyone on the same page. We have to realize this is what we have to do. There is no other option. This is it. And we’ve got to do it now.”

TSN: We’re 32 games into the season. Is this team a playoff team in your mind?

Prust: “Yeah, for sure. We haven’t been playing great lately. Fortunately enough, there’s still a lot of time to turn things around. We’re not too far out. I think it’s just a few simple adjustments. We have to realize as bad as things have been lately, we can still turn this thing around and start making a push.”

TSN: How do you describe the mix in the Canucks’ locker room? It seems like an interesting one - almost seems like a roster halfway in transition. You have the Sedins, a handful of other veterans like yourself, and then a bunch of young guys.

Prust: “I like our mix. I think we have a great group of guys. We have a lot of good personalities. We all get along. We have some older guys, but everyone is trying to show the young guys the way. And those guys are bringing some energy. I like the guys and the camaraderie.”

TSN: How has your transition been from Montreal to Vancouver? It’s never easy getting traded, but you seem to have adjusted pretty well.

Prust: “It’s been good. It’s a great organization and great group of guys. They’ve made it really easy on me. And moving to a city like Vancouver is obviously not too difficult. Getting familiar with your team and the system and the changes - there are a lot of differences from what I’m used to - so I’m still getting used to that. Other than that, it’s been a pretty good transition.”

TSN: Did you know you have the third-most fights in the NHL this season?

Prust: (laughs) “Hmmm. I did not know that. What do I have, five?”

TSN: Yes, two behind Colorado’s Cody McLeod. Fights are occurring this year half as frequently as they did in 2008-09, according to HockeyFights.com, yet you are still on-pace to match that season’s total (16). We wrote something earlier this month about the state of the NHL five years from now. Do you think there will be fighting in the NHL in 2020?

Prust: “Well, they could make a rule change where they don’t allow fighting, but if they don’t, I think there’s always going to be fighting. I think the people who know hockey and understand the game know that fighting should still be part of the sport.”

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/franklyspeaking-prust-on-canucks-collapse-1.410628

================================================================================================

As per TSN.  Nothing but lip service imo.  For a guy who was supposed to be an anchor in the locker room and an unspoken leader I expected some honesty from him

"getting our compete and battle level up.”

I don't know that he can really say any more and I don't consider it lip service because he's at a point that he HAS to suck it up and battle on.  If he starts calling others out or diagnosing problems in a specific way, then he steps outside of that.  And I don't know that we can narrow it down anyhow...injuries,  D needs work, no scoring outside the Sedins.  But I believe he stated it like it is...this team has shown that they can compete, it's just a matter of not letting it slide too far and affecting confidence and unity in the room.  They have to keep slugging it out.

Honesty is "his" version of that...I think he has to feel this way because, if not, he's throwing in the towel and that certainly won't help in turning things around.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know that he can really say any more and I don't consider it lip service because he's at a point that he HAS to suck it up and battle on.  If he starts calling others out or diagnosing problems in a specific way, then he steps outside of that.  And I don't know that we can narrow it down anyhow...injuries,  D needs work, no scoring outside the Sedins.  But I believe he stated it like it is...this team has shown that they can compete, it's just a matter of not letting it slide too far and affecting confidence and unity in the room.  They have to keep slugging it out.

Honesty is "his" version of that...I think he has to feel this way because, if not, he's throwing in the towel and that certainly won't help in turning things around.

I just miss the days of Beukeboom Richard and more where when asked a question about losing it was frank and honest and to the point.

He's not thrilled and it shows and I'd love to hear him be honest and just rip it wide open myself.  We need one of our players to show that emotion on and off the ice at some point.  Because sadly we're just not seeing it in either place the last few seasons

7 minutes ago, Leet said:

I find it weird that he doesn't watch alot of hockey games.

If you were a cab driver you wouldn't want to be driving your car alot in your spare time would you?, just like him it's his job, hockey/hockey/hockey sure he would watch coaching videos ect.. but I get it from his side of view, atleast thats what I think 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I tend to agree, but I want that emotion ON  the ice (only)...serves no purpose if it's not there.  But a great read, thanks!

Hopefully it translates in to more than just staged fights.  We need some snarl

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:
PHILADELPHIA - Two weeks ago, after the Vancouver Canucks were blasted by the Anaheim Ducks, Canucks’ GM Jim Benning told the Vancouver Sun it was the most disappointing loss of his tenure.

Benning questioned the Canucks’ toughness and unity, saying they didn’t “stick up for one another when someone was picking on one of our guys.”

Vancouver has only spiraled further out of control since. Over the last month, they’ve plummeted from a tie for first place in the Pacific to 13th in the Western Conference.

The Canucks (11-13-8) have just four wins since Nov. 10. And after Tuesday’s shellacking in Minnesota, it’s impossible to tell whether the Canucks have hit rock bottom. They will only be halfway through a six-game road trip after Thursday night’s stop against the Flyers.

Vancouver sorely misses Brandon Sutter, Dan Hamhuis and even Luca Sbisa, out due to injury. Having those players sidelined has exposed Vancouver’s dearth of depth. Chris Tanev and Alex Edler are overwhelmed. Goaltender Ryan Miller has been left out to dry. Young players Jared McCann and Bo Horvat look lost at times. McCann, 19, told the Vancouver Province recently he’s had trouble sleeping at night during his now 13-game scoring drought. Promising rookie Jake Virtanen has been loaned to Team Canada for the World Juniors and might not be back this season.

The list goes on and on.

Brandon Prust, 31, has been through these ups and downs before. The first-year Canuck has seven points in 21 games since arriving in Vancouver via trade last summer.

Here are five minutes with Prust on the Canucks’ struggles, how to right the ship, and his fight card this season:

TSN: How do you self-diagnose what’s been happening with the Canucks of late?

Prust: “It hasn’t been that easy to pinpoint. It’s kind of been a bunch of things. We’ve had some ups and downs. We’ve had some times we’ve looked great, where I think we look like a Stanley Cup contender. Then we’ve had slumps where we feel like a bottom-feeder. You know, we’re in one right now. It’s about getting out of slumps as fast as you can. We’re struggling to put the puck in the net. There’s a lot of games that we’ve been in. There’s been a lot of games we feel like we deserved to win, but we haven’t scored on our opportunities. (Tuesday night) that wasn’t the case at all. It was pretty lopsided. We have to rectify and realize what we’re doing wrong, getting our compete and battle level up.”

TSN: You’ve had a few games during this run where your team was almost never in it from the start of games. Can you put your finger on why? Is it a preparation issue?

Prust: “I think we’re well prepared. We’ve talked about getting off to a good start, something that every team focuses on, setting the tone. We just haven’t done that.”

TSN: What do you say to a guy like Ryan Miller after Tuesday’s game in Minnesota?

Prust: “I mean, games like that happen. They happen to everybody in the league. They happen at any given time. It’s a game that you learn from. It’s one of those games that Millsy knows we’re going to pick him up. We don’t have to go give him a huge and apologize. We have to pick him up by winning the next couple and making life a little easier for him.”

TSN: Invariably, when you’re in a spiral like this, fans and media start to percolate about Willie Desjardins’ job security. With each loss, the chatter mounts. We’ve had two coaching changes already and it isn’t Christmas yet. What do you make of that?

Prust: “I don’t really listen to media. I don’t listen to radio. I don’t read newspapers. I don’t even really watch a lot of hockey - but I’m sure some guys do. This is not a coaching thing. It’s the players. It’s us. We need to be better. We know that. It’s on us to take responsibility.”

TSN: What’s the first step to doing that and getting this team back on the rails?

Prust: “We need to get everyone on the same page. We have to realize this is what we have to do. There is no other option. This is it. And we’ve got to do it now.”

TSN: We’re 32 games into the season. Is this team a playoff team in your mind?

Prust: “Yeah, for sure. We haven’t been playing great lately. Fortunately enough, there’s still a lot of time to turn things around. We’re not too far out. I think it’s just a few simple adjustments. We have to realize as bad as things have been lately, we can still turn this thing around and start making a push.”

TSN: How do you describe the mix in the Canucks’ locker room? It seems like an interesting one - almost seems like a roster halfway in transition. You have the Sedins, a handful of other veterans like yourself, and then a bunch of young guys.

Prust: “I like our mix. I think we have a great group of guys. We have a lot of good personalities. We all get along. We have some older guys, but everyone is trying to show the young guys the way. And those guys are bringing some energy. I like the guys and the camaraderie.”

TSN: How has your transition been from Montreal to Vancouver? It’s never easy getting traded, but you seem to have adjusted pretty well.

Prust: “It’s been good. It’s a great organization and great group of guys. They’ve made it really easy on me. And moving to a city like Vancouver is obviously not too difficult. Getting familiar with your team and the system and the changes - there are a lot of differences from what I’m used to - so I’m still getting used to that. Other than that, it’s been a pretty good transition.”

TSN: Did you know you have the third-most fights in the NHL this season?

Prust: (laughs) “Hmmm. I did not know that. What do I have, five?”

TSN: Yes, two behind Colorado’s Cody McLeod. Fights are occurring this year half as frequently as they did in 2008-09, according to HockeyFights.com, yet you are still on-pace to match that season’s total (16). We wrote something earlier this month about the state of the NHL five years from now. Do you think there will be fighting in the NHL in 2020?

Prust: “Well, they could make a rule change where they don’t allow fighting, but if they don’t, I think there’s always going to be fighting. I think the people who know hockey and understand the game know that fighting should still be part of the sport.”

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/franklyspeaking-prust-on-canucks-collapse-1.410628

================================================================================================

As per TSN.  Nothing but lip service imo.  For a guy who was supposed to be an anchor in the locker room and an unspoken leader I expected some honesty from him

Honestly, Prust isn't the issue.  Our "4th line" has outplayed our "2nd" and "3rd" lines for 3/4 of this season.  I want to hear these words coming from Higgins, Burrows or Vrbata.  And that's great and all to raise compete and battle levels, but get specific already!  How are you going to do that Prusty!?  What specifically are the vets doing extra with the rooks to show them the ropes?  Comments are generalities and coming from the wrong person.  Interviews with themes of taking responsibility need to happen with our middle 6 vets.

Sounds like the dressing room is not dysfunctional, Prust doesn't generally mince his words, even if he does use cliches.  I also like his attitude on fighting.  It came across to me as nonchalant to me, if the NHL bans it he won't fight, but we know where he stands on it and I agree with him.  IMO, the staged fight can go anytime though, it should be in the heat of battle instead of a circus sideshow..  I liked the candidness of the interview and I like Prust.  Now JB just needs to dig up a scoring winger for Bo.

If you look at what the Oilers went through over the years you will get an idea of what we will be in for. Kids take time to develop. This team has been put into this position because their has been no development of prospects  over the years. The defense is the weakest of all. The only way we can get better quicker will be to go after some UFA's next year. Preferably on defense. There is no quick fix out there so buckle down and be prepared for the worst for a while.

1 hour ago, Edlerberry said:

this is a prototypical team-first guy doing what he's being paid to do - keep the boys positive and intensity up no matter the situation they're in.

this guys a pro, we're lucky to have him instead of kassian, as much as i didn't like the trade at the time.

He talks a good talk but I've been disappointed with the consistency of his play often this year.

He has passed up on opportunities to defend his team mates from time to time but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he is picking his battles and I do like how his line can often push the play from time to time. 

One play of his in the Chicago game really stuck out as an example of inconsistent play, it was either the Hawks second or third goal where Prust can clearly be seen on the replay floating back to his end on an odd man rush instead if he gave all he had to get back the goal could have been avoided. It seemed like he was hoping Miller would once again make the big save a bail everyone else out. Maybe the team would be better off with a bad goalie and then they would try harder to help their goalie out.

4 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

He talks a good talk but I've been disappointed with the consistency of his play often this year.

He has passed up on opportunities to defend his team mates from time to time but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he is picking his battles and I do like how his line can often push the play from time to time. 

One play of his in the Chicago game really stuck out as an example of inconsistent play, it was either the Hawks second or third goal where Prust can clearly be seen on the replay floating back to his end on an odd man rush instead if he gave all he had to get back the goal could have been avoided. It seemed like he was hoping Miller would once again make the big save a bail everyone else out. Maybe the team would be better off with a bad goalie and then they would try harder to help their goalie out.

I remember that play, it was like someone unplugged a controller.

9 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Prust is the least of our worries.  For the most part our 4th line has done their job.  Okay, so he hasn't fought as much, he is still 3rd in the league in fights.  You wanna bring up floating?  Then talk of Higgins, Burrows and, especially, VrFart Batatter.  At least Prust will offset a defensive blunder with creating a couple of chances with his line consistently. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just curious, what would you expect from him as a fully honest answer? "I hate Vancouver, I hate the fans, and I especially hate the people on the Canucks message boards. I demand a trade ASAP. I don't want to play hockey but enjoy the cushy lifestyle my contract affords me." Does that sound more honest to you?

Saying what he is supposed to say. Does he really believe we are a playoff team?

That said, I don't think a fourth liner like Prust is someone who should be calling the team out. IMO only the Sedins and Miller are the ones that should be calling the team out. They are the ones keeping us in it every night and receiving no support. You can't call the team out if you aren't playing up to standard. 

Archived