The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

I like Burrows and I respect the work and the journey he took to get to the NHL, but I have to wonder if when there is so much smoke, there might be fire as well.  In a perfect world, there are things that should be off limits, but I guess people will do anything to get an edge.  Lucic and his on ice antics, Burrows and others who trash talk.  I wish that players would let their play do their talking for them like the Sedins, but I know I'm dreaming.  

I remember saying I bet Burrows crossed the line with Tootoo and Deb came in heavily defending Burrows. Looking forward to see what she says here. I have a Burrows jersey hanging up beside me right now but that doesn't mean he's a saint who can do no wrong. He's obviously earned the reputation of a trash-talker who crosses the line.

My creative recap:

Burr: Researches and researches about every player backstory around the league to come up with viscous vocal attacks to use later, because as a pest, that's his job.

Burr to O'Sullivan: "Hey, you guy over dare! You suck! Get out of the league or I'll hurt you like your dad!"

O'Sullivan to Burr: "Yeah? Well... Yeah!"

O'Sullivan: Continues to suck.

O'Sullivan: Years and years later, out of the league, outs his painful story. Gains sympathy.

O'Sullivan: Outs Burrows as big meanie.

3 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

My creative recap:

Burr: Researches and researches about every player backstory around the league to come up with viscous vocal attacks to use later, because as a pest, that's his job.

Burr to O'Sullivan: "Hey, you guy over dare! You suck! Get out of the league or I'll hurt you like your dad!"

O'Sullivan to Burr: "Yeah? Well... Yeah!"

O'Sullivan: Years and years later, out of the league, outs his painful story. Gains sympathy.

O'Sullivan: Outs Burrows as big meanie.

Somehow I feel if this was Brad Marchand saying it to one of our players, your reaction may be a little different.

13 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Kinda weird burrows could have swung his stick and broke his wrist ,but will probably face a bigger backlash for saying something stupid to try and annoy and bother o'sullivan so he wouldn't play as good.

I agree, what is that saying about sticks and stones...

Terrible what O Sullivan had to go through but it's in the heat of the moment and intended to get you to play crappy..

Burrows - what a great leader :rolleyes:

Been pretty polarized ab him his whole career.  Love what he can do on the ice, and love how he battled his way into the bigs, but I've been to so many games where you see him jawing guys at the bench and then backing down to fights....and of course the really personal comments.  

2 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Somehow I feel if this was Brad Marchand saying it to one of our players, your reaction may be a little different.

No.  I can take a joke though.

All I ever do is roll my eyes at this stuff.  If that bothers a pro player this much, then you can understand why rats/pests exist.

Burrows made it to the NHL by being the pest, pain in the buttocks type of guy. He stayed in the NHL by expanding his game to penalty killing and part time goal scoring. He fed his family by being a jerk, full credit to him. The NHL is not a popularity contest.

7 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Oh god I can just imagine the uproar.

"He's such a gutless puke! Guy deserves to have his career ended.  What a despicable human being!"

These guys are a bunch of babies. You don't need to tell everyone what is supposedly being said out there. Leave it on the ice and in the NHL. If Burrows is really saying these kinds of things id be disappointed. However these players should be telling the league not the fans. Its just stupid. Guys say things in the heat of the moment that they don't mean. Not saying it is acceptable but honestly are players gonna speak out every time they don't like something that is said. Have some mental toughness and ignore or go after him and drop the gloves. Don't go on social media or to the media years later or right after you don't like being told something. This is the NHL so grow up. Its not junior. Its the best league in the world. Its becoming a joke, that being said Burrows shouldn't be crossing the line.

6 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

No.  I can take a joke though.

All I ever do is roll my eyes at this stuff.  If that bothers a pro player this much, then you can understand why rats/pests exist.

You can take a joke eh?

so what you meant is:

burrows is funny in what he said to Sullivan?

kinda makes you a joke here bud.....

a bad one.

Archived