The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

These guys are a bunch of babies. You don't need to tell everyone what is supposedly being said out there. Leave it on the ice and in the NHL. If Burrows is really saying these kinds of things id be disappointed. However these players should be telling the league not the fans. Its just stupid. Guys say things in the heat of the moment that they don't mean. Not saying it is acceptable but honestly are players gonna speak out every time they don't like something that is said. Have some mental toughness and ignore or go after him and drop the gloves. Don't go on social media or to the media years later or right after you don't like being told something. This is the NHL so grow up. Its not junior. Its the best league in the world. Its becoming a joke, that being said Burrows shouldn't be crossing the line.

You have a real point.  Does anyone honestly think that Tikkanen or Lemieux, et al, said things like "You really suck at hockey" to get under other players' skins?  Nope.  They said whatever it took.  But in the days before social media and "feelings" what was said on the ice stayed on the ice.  And it isn't just confined to hockey.  Burrow had to have said something to O'Sullivan at least five years ago.  FIVE YEARS.  If he said anything at all. The Tootoo incident was just to deflect what should have been a game suspension for leaving the box.  Burrows is a pest.  That's what he does best.  Plus he's a good player.  O'Sullivan is just seizing his moment of fame after his revelatory blog.  

1 minute ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I agree with all of this, and to add to the point, what does this do for Burrows' next contract negotiations? I'm guessing it's not going to help anything.

Unless Burr ups his play level, his next contract won't be worth worrying about anyways.

If Burrows said what Sullivan alleges that he said, why didn't Sullivan address the issue on the ice.
Why, during an intermission for instance, didn't Sullivan mention it to a team mate and say something like:
"I'm going to hammer that pos along the boards and beat the living crap out of him, watch my back bud.", or
something along those lines. Why now?

Where did Burrows make this alleged chirp, and a chirp it was, harsh or not. Did it occur in church, while out shopping, at a minor league awards dinner, or was it on a segment of 'Hometown Hockey'? No, it was on the ice during a game, a NHL game played by grown men for gawds sake! ON THE ICE dammit!

Burrows has always chirped, as do others. It has a purpose. Either you let it affect you or not, or you use it to motivate you or to seek on ice retribution. It's part of the game, like it or not.

Just now, JoshuaGuy said:

I agree with all of this, and to add to the point, what does this do for Burrows' next contract negotiations? I'm guessing it's not going to help anything.

Regardless, Burrows was not getting another NHL contract, from any team.  He's not really good enough anymore, where he can't be replaced by a young player. 

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol, these new generation of kids are doomed. How does everybody pass in school? No fails? Lol

And then they come to work and sob when their boss tears them a new A-hole because they produced crap work. 

Even more sad this they will become the bosses eventually and the pussification of the world will be complete.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Even more sad this they will become the bosses eventually and the pussification of the world will be complete.

Brett Easton Ellis wrote a good article about this.  He calls them Generation Wuss.  It's worth reading.  Depressing actually.  

1 minute ago, Jägermeister said:

He doesn't seem to be that emotional about it... he just said it happened and he doesn't like him.

Most of the posters in this thread are coming off more emotional to be honest lol.

There are people i dont like. You dont see me going to the news papers about it. Its not even worth bringing it up. They never see one another.(Other than O'Sally watching Burrows on TV) they dont speak. they dont have anything to do with one another for years. and he brings this up. yea but no . Who ever gave life to this story over at tsn is a knob. You think if it was worth mentioning it would be on NHL.com or any other major site. it is not.

Just now, Alflives said:

Regardless, Burrows was not getting another NHL contract, from any team.  He's not really good enough anymore, where he can't be replaced by a young player. 

Idiotic to say with certainty. He's on a 30 pt pace while still being an effective PKer. Also, apparently a pretty damn good pest.

What's really sad is that in 2015 expressing yourself still makes you a "pussy" in the eyes of many sports fans, despite the countless suicides by "tough guys" who couldn't deal with their emotions because of prevailing "suck it up princess" attitudes and got addicted to pain-killers after the physical pain went away.  Emotions make you uncomfortable?  Suck it up princess.  

Sigh..........

More He said She said. Burrows is a Canuck so unless he did something illegal or all out quit on the team, I will not throw him under the team bus.. 

I've heard worse things than this in mens league and I can still sleep at night.

1 minute ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

There are people i dont like. You dont see me going to the news papers about it. Its not even worth bringing it up. They never see one another.(Other than O'Sally watching Burrows on TV) they dont speak. they dont have anything to do with one another for years. and he brings this up. yea but no . Who ever gave life to this story over at tsn is a knob. You think if it was worth mentioning it would be on NHL.com or any other major site. it is not.

It was @rayferrarotsn who retweeted it. He's since blocked me for having a different opinion.

1 minute ago, awalk said:

What's really sad is that in 2015 expressing yourself still makes you a "pussy" in the eyes of many sports fans, despite the countless suicides by "tough guys" who couldn't deal with their emotions because of prevailing "suck it up princess" attitudes and got addicted to pain-killers after the physical pain went away.  Emotions make you uncomfortable?  Suck it up princess.  

Why did he not bring this up to the media when it happened. Whats with 8 years later.. Makes no sense. Thats type of stuff females do. Let something slide for years but all a sudden BAM they bring it up.

1 minute ago, awalk said:

The suicides are being attributed to traumatic brain injuries, not hurt feelings.

Archived