The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

The funny things is the amount of folk that just don't get that

a- this happened 7-8 years ago, but people talk about Burrows character as if it happened yesterday.

b- Burrows has said he did not know just how abusive Patrick's dad was, but people say OMG how could he be so cruel. But, try to remember this part, Burrows has said he did not know just how abusive Patrick's dad was. People are judging what Burrows said then, but they know NOW how bad Patrick had it.

No doubt I'm going to be painted as the bad guy along with Burrows by saying this:

No, it wasn't a nice thing for Burrows to say, but this huge sh*tstorm about a few words, compared the reactions to the dozens, in fact hundreds of other players in the NHL who go out of their way to deliberately injure or cripple other players, is totally hypocritical.

Example:  Where is all the public handwringing and crying about Milan Lucic's essentially criminal behaviour against multiple opposing players?  No, instead we have a bunch of low browed fan/thugs praising him for his 'toughness'.

Where are those finger pointers when it comes to the case of Chara and his hit on Pacioretty?  No, instead of the focus being on the result of his actions, that being the near career ending injury he caused, the comments are all about how Chara is really a 'good' guy.

I could mention a dozen other players still in the league who see injuring opponents as a notch on their belt.

This whole discussion is one big chickensh*t excuse for those who think physical bullies who 'take out' (cover words for the act of assault causing bodily injury) opposing players are ok... but those who get verbal in the faceoff are somehow the real pariahs.

Which is total CR*P.

Burrows is a guy who put everything on the line for the Canucks in the past, and while his age is showing, is also willing to do that still.  The difference between him and the REAL thugs in the NHL is that while he showed some questionable judgement in the WORDS he might have said 10 years ago, he has never deliberately tried to put another player out of the game with an injury.

A decade ago, huh?

If O'Sullivan had a career as decent as AB's, he'd probably not even give a damn. Likely would've forgotten.

Wonder what kind of things blokes like Avery, Tootoo or Tie Domi blurt out, in years past? If they're in a key US market, no harm done, right NHL? Avery seemed spiralling to the verge of boiling babies for brunch, but I swear the league(& their media lackeys) have given Burrows a much harder time.

Could it be that a certain #14 called out the league's officials? All this nonsense just after the Tootoo incident(for which Tootoo shoulda' been in the box!), appears to be an ulterior motive here.

League HQ's/media are a complicit jr HS hallway.

edit-grams

4 hours ago, aqua59 said:

I tend to believe O'Sullivan for the simple reason he hung on to it for so long. At first I was", get over it, people say things." Then after thinking about the statement it registered that some pain sticks with one for a reason, it hurt, it didn't heal and the scar is evident.

Well after the fact of it being a low cheep shot, which I've become accustomed to hearing about Burrows when he's on the ice, I wonder what makes a mature person think and say things like Burrows is accused of saying?

I  think O'Sullivan makes a good move here, not getting at Burrows but exposing problem. I'm sure all of us that have played competitive sports have heard a lot of things but we know when we hear something said that's over the line.

I think there was a general hatred from other teams towards the Canucks around the league, in a bad way. It's gotten better with Linden and JB at the helm. Burrows is one player that really added to the disrespect teams can garner for another team.  I"m sure management had a chat with him after the Tootoo incident and with his play of late wouldn't be surprised to see him moved if they could get something for him. I also think he has a limited NTC.

Sorry to say, Burrows is a jerk, even if he does come across as a nice guy off the ice. If what O'Sullivan says is true Burrows went far over the line. Between O'Sullivan and Tootoo I"m sure there's been lots of unreported things said by him to other players. He's just been exposed for what he is. He's one of those mouth pieces that never change. 

As a player Burrows is fading fast and he's quickly moving to the  Canuck hall of shame right along with Matt Cooke. With no Stanley CUP ring Burrows will be remembered as a mouthy jerk.

That's where I"m headed in my opinion of him.

Trash talking is a part of sports, in fighting it happens all the time. Rhonda Rousey's dad commuted suicide and one of her opponents brought that up and it garnered major media attention of crossing the line. There was tons of commentary about it and how awful that was. This is no different. 

Going as deep as Burrows did shows his character. He's a gutless coward that tries to take opponents off their game so he can face them when they might be vulnerable and not at their best. Canuck fans have got a good glimpse into who Burrows is, and he isn't a good person. He's a terrible person, horrible role model for youth. Please Canucks, get rid of him.

I am so tired of this guy bringing the team into a negative media spot light every year. He needs to go and quickly. 

23 minutes ago, keredz said:

Going as deep as Burrows did shows his character. He's a gutless coward that tries to take opponents off their game so he can face them when they might be vulnerable and not at their best. Canuck fans have got a good glimpse into who Burrows is, and he isn't a good person. He's a terrible person, horrible role model for youth. Please Canucks, get rid of him.

I am so tired of this guy bringing the team into a negative media spot light every year. He needs to go and quickly. 

You are so full of it its coming out your mouth.  You clearly have never played hockey.

Burrows has spent his career in the roughest places on the ice, right in front of the net and in the corners.  And blocking shots fearlessly on the penalty kill.

If you think his refusal to be stupid and fight someone who is 40 lbs heavier is 'gutless', then you are as stupid as you are unobservant.

18 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You are so full of it its coming out your mouth.  You clearly have never played hockey.

Burrows has spent his career in the roughest places on the ice, right in front of the net and in the corners.  And blocking shots fearlessly on the penalty kill.

If you think his refusal to be stupid and fight someone who is 40 lbs heavier is 'gutless', then you are as stupid as you are unobservant.

I never said anything about fighting, and never said anything about fighting a person 40 lbs heavier than him. Lol. 

He's gutless for making fun of child abuse. That has nothing to do with playing hockey and I don't need to have played the game to know that. 

39 minutes ago, keredz said:

I never said anything about fighting, and never said anything about fighting a person 40 lbs heavier than him. Lol. 

He's gutless for making fun of child abuse. That has nothing to do with playing hockey and I don't need to have played the game to know that. 

So what did Burrows say, exactly?  I'd like you to tell us, since it hasn't been reported.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

So what did Burrows say, exactly?  I'd like you to tell us, since it hasn't been reported.

Wow... 

I'd defend any Canuck if there was reasonable doubt, that's part of being a fan. I get that. Burrows apologized so he acknowledges bringing up abuse. The fact he even brought up abuse has nothing to do with hockey. He brought it up to take the other player off his game, he brought it up to taunt his opponent. 

The definition of taunting is:

provoke or challenge (someone) with insulting remarks.

Its totally irrelevant to have his exact wording. Give your head a shake.

1 hour ago, keredz said:

Wow... 

I'd defend any Canuck if there was reasonable doubt, that's part of being a fan. I get that. Burrows apologized so he acknowledges bringing up abuse. The fact he even brought up abuse has nothing to do with hockey. He brought it up to take the other player off his game, he brought it up to taunt his opponent. 

You completely avoided the direct question.  Not sure what the "wow" was about. 

It is important to know ... because it could have been "I'm going to pound the crap out of you", which is said a lot in hockey.  But, because of his history, POS relates that to his father.  It could have been the ever so silly but popular "who's your Daddy?".

Taunting happens in hockey.  So that's certainly not noteworthy.

From what I've read, your words are a bit of taunting too.  So let's not employ a double standard here.

He's a gutless coward.... he isn't a good person.... he's a terrible person, horrible role model

So try to practice what you're preaching?  You're saying horrible things about someone....he has children that could read this one day.  So be part of the solution if you're so bent on setting the bar for others.

1 hour ago, keredz said:

Wow... 

Burrows has acknowledged making a comment with absolutely NO idea of the depth and seriousness of O'Sullivan's situation. Nothing mentioned in Patrick O'Sullivan's recollection of the comment contains ' child abuse' at all. You need to step back a pace or two and let your ire cool a little. Perhaps you should try reading the information available and be not so quick to jump all over people. Perhaps it's you who should be giving your head a shake, no?

Your double standard has been noted.

3 hours ago, keredz said:

I'm still waiting for you to provide some link or plausible explanation as to how you got the idea that Burrows made fun of child abuse.

I'll probably wait forever for that though, won't I?

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Wow... 

Its totally irrelevant to have is exact wording. Give  your head a shake.

7 minutes ago, keredz said:

Wow... 

Its totally irrelevant to have is exact wording. Give  your head a shake.

I'd bet things a hundred times worse were said to Burrows a hundred times more, hockey is not a game for feminine felines.

Archived