The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

You completely avoided the direct question.  Not sure what the "wow" was about. 

It is important to know ... because it could have been "I'm going to pound the crap out of you", which is said a lot in hockey.  But, because of his history, POS relates that to his father.  It could have been the ever so silly but popular "who's your Daddy?".

Taunting happens in hockey.  So that's certainly not noteworthy.

From what I've read, your words are a bit of taunting too.  So let's not employ a double standard here.

So try to practice what you're preaching?  You're saying horrible things about someone....he has children that could read this one day.  So be part of the solution if you're so bent on setting the bar for others.

What Burrows said was not right. If he wants to bring up child abuse to taunt players, that's his decision. Defend him all you want. Anyone who has to resort to that tactic is gutless. You can say "gutless" is a taunt to Burrows however I'd say it's a comment on his personality and the type of person he is. I think the level he went to was completely uncalled for, as a fan I don't like. As a person I won't stand for others bullying or taunting others. Do I think going to this level of taunting is a cowardly act, yes I do. 

Muhammad Ali was a famous trash talker. He didn't have to resort to things at this level.

Unfortunately for Burrows his reputation precedes him. Remember, this is the same guy who pulled Duncan Keith's hair, bit a finger and was consistently called out for diving. 

I don't like what he said, it's embarrassing as a Canuck fan. His continual antics bring the teams reputation under disrepute. It's time for him to move on. 

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57042829.jpg

3 minutes ago, keredz said:

What Burrows said was not right. If he wants to bring up child abuse to taunt players, that's his decision. Defend him all you want. Anyone who has to resort to that tactic is gutless. You can say "gutless" is a taunt to Burrows however I'd say it's a comment on his personality and the type of person he is. I think the level he went to was completely uncalled for, as a fan I don't like. As a person I won't stand for others bullying or taunting others. Do I think going to this level of taunting is a cowardly act, yes I do. 

Muhammad Ali was a famous trash talker. He didn't have to resort to things at this level.

Unfortunately for Burrows his reputation precedes him. Remember, this is the same guy who pulled Duncan Keith's hair, bit a finger and was consistently called out for diving. 

I don't like what he said, it's embarrassing as a Canuck fan. His continual antics bring the teams reputation under disrepute. It's time for him to move on. 

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or...... see below.

57042829.jpg

1 hour ago, gurn said:

I'm still waiting for you to provide some link or plausible explanation as to how you got the idea that Burrows made fun of child abuse.

I'll probably wait forever for that though, won't I?

See definition of taunt below. Jeering, mocking is making fun of someone. So if he is taunting O'Sullivan about his child abuse or mocking him, he's making fun of him.

Taunting, verb (used with object)
to reproach in a sarcastic, insulting, or jeering manner; mock.
to provoke by taunts; twit.

8 hours ago, keredz said:

See definition of taunt below. Jeering, mocking is making fun of someone. So if he is taunting O'Sullivan about his child abuse or mocking him, he's making fun of him.

That's better....you, like the rest of us, aren't certain of what was said or the context it was in.  Chances are:  just another "I'll beat the crap out you" comment by a hockey player in the heat of the moment.  But it sells better if you weave it in there to create drama.

This non story needs to die out now, and I'm going to help by not letting you blow it up any further via me.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's better....you, like the rest of us, aren't certain of what was said or the context it was in.  Chances are:  just another "I'll beat the crap out you" comment by a hockey player in the heat of the moment.  But it sells better if you weave it in there to create drama.

This non story needs to die out now, and I'm going to help by not letting you blow it up any further.

If he was on another team you would not defend that feline Burrows. He is big mouth finger-biting hair-pulling froggy voiced toad.

I put that in the same class as Marchand. Willing to bet telling Kelly I said hi is not close to the worst he has said.

He is not even that effective of a player anymore along with Higgins should both try to move them.

The Canucks don't need his reputation on the team. He had a good run great career from where he started but he is a 4th line player like Higgins right now and is eating cap space.

I'll give you credit for answering, but your post would be more factual if you used a word or words that actually include the word "fun" in the definition.
See if it was "fun" then Patrick would not get upset would he?

It's sports. It's easy to just by sitting in front of a TV or in front of a computer but when please are playing competative games, many times it is anything goes. Players talk about family, wives, stats, being sent to the minors again, anything to get a reaction. Micheal Jordan was the biggest trash talker there ever was but you think he was above using information to get people off thier game? To some it is an aweful aspect of the game while to others, it is a game in itself on which player can out talk each other. Gets other players off thier game giving your team a better chance at winning.

13 hours ago, keredz said:

Seriously, is the dense factor high on the personal meter in your world today? Read what Burrows had to say about the incident. He had no idea of the extent of O'Sullivan's situation/abuse at the time the comment was made so how was he supposed to know about the abuse POS was/had been dealing with? He was not taunting POS about his child abuse as he didn't even know that it was a problem in his life.  Good Lord, give your head a shake. It's been 8-10 years,,... apologies have been made......it's dreadful and appalling that this has had to play out in the public eye....and that some like you are trying to convict Alex Burrows of things he didn't even say. Specifically in 'making fun of his child abuse'

Hindsight is always 20/20, especially when there is now disclosure that the person who the comment "he wanted to hurt me like me father did" was directed at has shared his story of childhood abuse.

8-10 years AFTER the comment, the person who made the insensitive chirp has said "“I see that it was bigger than what I really thought back then,” and "I apologize if I offended him back then." And then,  "Back then, I didn’t know the magnitude of it. I read his story on The Players’ Tribune last week, and I saw how bad he had it. It’s tough to see for sure

The ball is back in Patrick O'Sullivan's court now. He can either accept Alex Burrow's apology or he can continue to nurse the anger at the chirps. We are 8-10 years down the road from the chirping..... neither man is the same person they were then as has been acknowledged by both. AB has acknowledged that with the disclosure of POS's childhood of abuse recently that perhaps he may have unknowingly crossed a line that shouldn't have been crossed....  it takes a big man to publicly admit that, even though he had no first hand knowledge of the depth and magnitude of the situation POS faced at home while growing up.

Apologies have been made...time to let this story die like it should have long before it turned into a 28 page thread.

24 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

A guy apologizes for crossing the line.

His defenders who don't know what was said argue he might not have crossed the line, all the while scolding others who suspect that he may have crossed the line, which the player admitted to doing.

Incredible. :picard:

It's also quite baffling how some still deny that he even said what he did, when he apologized for it.

5 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Hindsight is always 20/20, especially when there is now disclosure that the person who the comment "he wanted to hurt me like me father did" was directed at has shared his story of childhood abuse.

8-10 years AFTER the comment, the person who made the insensitive chirp has said "“I see that it was bigger than what I really thought back then,” and "I apologize if I offended him back then." And then,  "Back then, I didn’t know the magnitude of it. I read his story on The Players’ Tribune last week, and I saw how bad he had it. It’s tough to see for sure

The ball is back in Patrick O'Sullivan's court now. He can either accept Alex Burrow's apology or he can continue to nurse the anger at the chirps. We are 8-10 years down the road from the chirping..... neither man is the same person they were then as has been acknowledged by both. AB has acknowledged that with the disclosure of POS's childhood of abuse recently that perhaps he may have unknowingly crossed a line that shouldn't have been crossed....  it takes a big man to publicly admit that, even though he had no first hand knowledge of the depth and magnitude of the situation POS faced at home while growing up.

The thing is, is Burrows really sorry, or just sorry he got caught. 

If he really is sorry for the things that he'd said back then shouldn't he have apologized before Patrick O'Sullivan called him out all these years later? 

I think if Burrows apologized on him own he could make the claims he's making now, about being a changed man and how sorry he is that he went there. But because it took getting exposed for him to issue an apology, you can't really call it an authentic one. 

My guess it, he's sorry he got caught. 

20 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

...unless it was said to one of our players...

If it had been said to one of our players we'd have an endless stream of media members on tv/radio/internet talking about how what's said on the ice should stay on the ice and our player should stop acting like a big baby. Or just that he was straight up lying about it.

13 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

The thing is, is Burrows really sorry, or just sorry he got caught. 

If he really is sorry for the things that he'd said back then shouldn't he have apologized before Patrick O'Sullivan called him out all these years later? 

I think if Burrows apologized on him own he could make the claims he's making now, about being a changed man and how sorry he is that he went there. But because it took getting exposed for him to issue an apology, you can't really call it an authentic one. 

My guess it, he's sorry he got caught. 

I believe Burrows IS sorry for the offhand chirp he made toward a guy in a couple of hockey games. Do you think a hockey player remembers and angsts over every chirp he's ever made in the history of his career? The vast majority of players in the game shrug it off or it affects their play in the moment and they move on. How many hockey players nurse a grievance at a chirp for 10 years after the fact?

The timing of POS's book detailing his childhood abuse, the article in The Players Tribune...the fact that sports media leaped all over it .....after all, Alex Burrows DOES make the perfect whipping boy, does he not? <_<

If every hockey player were to be 'called out' on their chirps, they'd have to set up a hotline for apologies.... a separate newspaper column.....a website devoted to just such said apologies. Hence, 'What happens on the ice stays on the ice" really is a philosophy well worthy of adhering to.

Alex Burrows has apologized publicly for his 2 insensitive chirps made at Patrick O'Sullivan 8-10 years ago...he didn't have to....he could have done it privately, and perhaps he did. We don't know. But the baying and howling of the media and the public about his 'dreadful' and 'insensitive' and 'ugly' comments did make it necessary to issue a public apology.  I call it 'authentic'.....he didn't have to do it, but he did anyway. And bravo for doing so.

I've said some terrible things to people in my life, some of them I was very wrong and required an apology, while others were meant to hurt and I still stand behind.  I'm not sure I would forgive Burr if he said that crap to me in the same situation, certainly he is doing the right thing by apologizing, but it likely is doing Burr more good than O'sullivan.  No matter what, Burr had a choice to say it or not.  He chose to say it and he is now owning it, but it doesn't absolve him of the terrible comment.  The Burr douche-meter just went up a peg regardless of the apology.

37 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

If every hockey player were to be 'called out' on their chirps, they'd have to set up a hotline for apologies.... a separate newspaper column.....a website devoted to just such said apologies. Hence, 'What happens on the ice stays on the ice" really is a philosophy well worthy of adhering to.

I agree with the rest of your post, aside from this bit. This is the second time Burrows has been called out for his chirps whereas it just hasn't happened with other players. POS has played against hundreds of players, many of whom have heard his story but according to him only one of them chose to go there.

The whole "all the other guys do it" argument doesn't apply as POS specifically says "only" Burrows choose to go there.

He doesn't get any of my sympathy for getting vilified in the media for this because quite frankly what POS claims was said is despicable. Burrows can claim ignorance but it doesn't make him look good either. If you don't know the "extent of the abuse", maybe it's better not to go there. Maybe it's best to stay away from such matters in the first place.

I feel like if something crosses the line then people have to be made accountable for their actions. So I have no problems with POS divulging his experiences. I will say that I have given Burrows the benefit of the doubt that he genuinely did not know and he is genuinely sorry for his actions. 

Archived