The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

Just now, Winter Soldier said:

Too bad it's going to happen until the end of time because the war on ice is as much mental and emotional as it is physical. It's like saying 'we're going to end bullying!' but ignoring the fact that people will always take the easiest route to upsetting someone.

No place for it? Sure. Is it going to stop here or in any other venue? Naive thinking.

100% true.

still takes an assclown to be that way.

1 minute ago, Cerridwen said:

To make an informed decision on this, I'd like to know how well known the information of O'Sullivan's abuse by his father was known amongst NHL players across the league and the exact date that the comment allegedly made by Burrows was made.

O'Sullivan's story started to be known during his OHL days and broke when he got drafted by the Minnesota Wild in 2003:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14374155/nhl-john-buccigross-talks-patrick-osullivan-harrowing-childhood

2 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I'm not sure why some vet fans are shocked at this, or even going as far as losing respect for him... Now...  

Um, hello?  He's been like that for us for a decade and the real complaint should be that he's toned it down in recent seasons.

/thread

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

If professional sports, the NHL included, has cracked down on homophobic slurs why can't they apply it here? Rajon Rondo was just suspended for doing such. 

So how far do you take it? Mandatory five and a game because someone's feelings got hurt?

Just now, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

Yo this guy is so Butt hurt. He wouldn't last 1 day around me and my friends. We grill each other constantly, Grow a set of balls and man up. Seriously a hockey player than cant take some smack talk. Classic.

Ever had any significant personal hardship in your life? A sibling or parent passed away? Beat mercilessly by your own father? I'm sure you'd absolutely laugh your ass off to hear chirps about that. Your friends must be the coolest bunch of bros around.

I'm not sure why some vet fans are shocked at this, or even going as far as losing respect for him... Now...  

Um, hello?  He's been like that for us for a decade and the real complaint should be that he's toned it down in recent seasons.

I've never really ban a fan of him or his ilk.  I didn't like Kesler either and was happy at his departure.

just don't like those player types in general.

2 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Ever had any significant personal hardship in your life? A sibling or parent passed away? Beat mercilessly by your own father? I'm sure you'd absolutely laugh your ass off to hear chirps about that. Your friends must be the coolest bunch of bros around.

If you cant take it. You have chosen the wrong path. Players get it from every angle. even from fans. Dont be a emotional sally.

I also wouldn't cry like a bitch to the media. Its hockey. Go out there, find him and &^@# his day up. Seriously no excuse to cry when you can literally go beat the guy up. Which other sport can you do that ?

Just now, Winter Soldier said:

So how far do you take it? Mandatory five and a game because someone's feelings got hurt?

We'd have to see. For example, Rondo just got one game  (not to mention public shaming) for his incident. Is he gonna do it again? I doubt it but we'll see. 

It's a tough line...on the one hand, owners want popular teams and stuff like this certainly doesn't make you popular. But winning does, and if the guy can put up...

8 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Hockey players have been savagely ripping each other for a hundred years but it's only bad when you hear anecdotes of chirps after the fact. k.

Well then, we can ask... when does it go too far?

We've known that hockey players chirp eachother, that's no secret.

But to mention and bring in one's personal family situation? To bring back past, emotional scarring events? Really?

I love Burr, but if he knew about O'Sullivan's past that was a total arsehole thing to say that totally crossed the line of decency, even in hockey.

That being said, has O'Sullivan said that he knows for a fact Burrows knew about his childhood abuse? If not, that was likely generic trash talk I'm sure we've all heard some version of, just meaning "I'm going to treat you like a child." Personally, I find it likely that that was the case, not because I think Burr would have never said anything that mean (especially back then in the late '90s and early '00s) but because unless O'Sullivan went around telling everyone, how would Burr have known?

If Burr knew O'Sullivan's past and said it, he was a arsehole and should apologize. Full stop. But we should at least consider the possibility that he didn't and O'Sullivan just took it as a personalized statement when in fact it wasn't.

Also, I'm getting really tired of all of this whiny, trash talking behind Burr's back BS that has become acceptable with Burr in a way that wouldn't be with any other player. I don't for a second believe that only Tootoo and O'Sullivan have had their feelings hurt by trash talk on the ice and I don't for a second believe that Burr is the only one who has ever hurt anyone's feelings, deliberately or not. Just because Burr is a hated Vancouver player doesn't negate other people's responsibility to act like an adult themselves.

If Tootoo had a problem with what Burr said, he had the right to go to the NHL (who, by the way, couldn't even find a reason to fine Burr!) He did not, however, behave in a respectable adult manner by tattling to the media but then refusing to tell the entire story, leaving it up to people's imaginations to fill in the "details" without regard to truth or accuracy. It was manipulative and childish.

Likewise, though I agree Burr crossed the line referencing O'Sullivan's abusive childhood (assuming, that is, that Burr actually knew about it), frankly I would have had more respect for O'Sullivan if he had told Burrows to his face (or at least directly to him in some way), "Dude, you totally crossed the line when you said that and it really hurt my feelings." Demanding he be accountable for his actions would have been the adult way to handle it rather than seeking sympathy by accusing him behind his back when he doesn't have the ability to defend himself.

1 minute ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

If you cant take it. You have chosen the wrong path. Players get it from every angle. even from fans. Dont be a emotional sally.

Shouldn't have to take it, anywhere. Like I pointed out with Rondo and the homophobic slurs the other day. We can't police fans to that extent but we can police athletes.

Just now, riffraff said:

I've never really ban a fan of him or his ilk.  I didn't like Kesler either and was happy at his departure.

just don't like those player types in general.

My only problem with them is they ultimately didn't win a cup for us.  Burrows still might, but long shot.

On ice comments, lockerroom talk, whatever other non-factors we bicker about?  Meaningless.

Esp. when you watch the Canucks have their asses hammered in the playoffs by teams filled with all sorts of shady, low class characters.  It appears that we just didn't have enough of them.  Not enough aggressiveness.  Teams filled with lady byng types don't win.

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Shouldn't have to take it, anywhere. Like I pointed out with Rondo and the homophobic slurs the other day. We can't police fans to that extent but we can police athletes.

So should Datsyuk also be suspended for being homophobic? Thats so dumb. Its a sport. Not politics. Keep peoples opinions out of it. Also freedom of speech. But PC Pussies dont let you speak freely anymore.

My only problem with them is they ultimately didn't win a cup for us.  Burrows still might, but long shot.

On ice comments, lockerroom talk, whatever other non-factors we bicker about?  Meaningless.

Esp. when you watch the Canucks have their asses hammered in the playoffs by teams filled with all sorts of shady, low class characters.  It appears that we just didn't have enough of them.  Not enough aggressiveness.  Teams filled with lady byng types don't win.

So trash talkers will bring us a cup?

Just now, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

So should Datsyuk also be suspended for being homophobic? Thats so dumb. Its a sport. Not politics. Keep peoples opinions out of it. Also freedom of speech. But PC Pussies dont let you speak freely anymore.

He's expressed his views on it but has he actually brought it on to the ice?

Archived