The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

8 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

In my view, Patty O'Sullivan looks incredibly weak here and he is doing bullying victims and himself a real disservice.  I expect the tweet to be deleted.

@rayferrarotsn blocked me because I said keep it on the ice. Unless they were mic'd it's not even guaranteed he said these things. Maybe it was a language thing? Maybe it's true? Can't really prove it can he?

Is it just me or are there others here on CDC who are starting to lose the sympathy for O'Sullivan for being on what looks like a regular outing of Burrows?

Burrows is probably 8 part sinner and 2 part saint (out of 10 parts), and he has no doubt said some atrocious stuff on the ice, but it looks to me that O'Sullivan has an axe to grind with Burrows and in my books, the guy with the axe generally loses my support (...and I'm not a big fan of Burrows to begin with).

On another note, anyone notice what O'Sullivan's initials are?  I know...it's a frivolous observation.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

tell me i'm wrong - we have no one on this team who'd effectively attack jordan nolan for being the chicken $&!# he is, but rather we're paying 5x more for a guy like prust or dorsett to be mentors who only fight or provoke at useless times of the game.

and he was a good person and a good locker room presence while he was up with the big club. obviously he had a $&!# attitude when they decided to send him down, and it was a good thing he left the org at that point, but i always have a soft spot for tom. started off as a gag when he was picked up, grew to respect him.

He was trash that couldn't play. and Constantly got beat up by other players. Cool he jumped and attacked 1 player that the Vancouver fan base doesn't like. Its pretty much assault when you attack someone unwilling to fight. Sestito was a bum and was classless. Thanks for the first ever 7 minute Penalty.

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Is it just me or are there others here on CDC who are starting to lose the sympathy for O'Sullivan for being on what looks like a regular outing of Burrows?

Burrows is probably 8 part sinner and 2 part saint (out of 10 parts), and he has no doubt said some atrocious stuff on the ice, but it looks to me that O'Sullivan has an axe to grind with Burrows and in my books, the guy with the axe loses my support. 

On another note, anyone notice what O'Sullivan's initials are?  I know...it's a frivolous observation.

There are those who aren't supporting osullivans whistle blowing but as well are not a fan of burr's methods.

20 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Funny how everybody here hates Marchand and loved (at least until one-two years ago) Burrows.

Fact is they aren't that different.

I'm sorry, but Marchand is a dirty little asshat who deliberately injures players, constantly dives, and is a second rate human being. Burrows is a trash talker. That's it. Burrows would never run somebody deliberately at the knees, or deliberately hit to maim like Ratface would, and has before with many players, including Sami Salo. Also Burrows wouldn't hold an imaginary cup over his head just to piss off 18,000 fans. Marchand deserves all the hate he gets. Not saying Burrows is a saint by any means, but comparing him to Marchand is ridiculous. Marchand is scum. 

To the thread now.

If, and that is a big IF, Burrows said these things, then yeah that's a line crossed. However, back then, would Burr have even known about Patrik's Dad? It wasn't as publicized then as it is now. Also, just as Tootoo, whining on Social media or to the media is not the right way to handle things either. If you have a problem with anybody, you talk to that person directly. Posting something like that on Social media gives the other person no room to defend themselves or anything, and it's cowardly. O'Sullivan, like Tootoo, should keep his mouth shut and take it up with Burrows if he has a problem with him. Trash talking's been around for decades in the NHL, and it is merciless. You have to shrug it off and not let it bother you. Burrows isn't the only trash talker in the league, and not the worst by a mile. 

Just now, JoshuaGuy said:

Burrows should've been jumped in both of those games. Beaten down. To bring this crap up over a decade later is chicken $&!#. 

O'sullivan is selling books. That's the bottom line here.

You'd think if burrows really crossed the line. Someone else from Osully's team would have gone after Burrows. But it never happened. No one cared then. No one cares now.

8 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

There ya go. 

That's completely different.  That's not trash talking.  That's calling out someone officiating a game.  There is a difference between whining about someone calling you a bad word and whining about a cop for planting evidence to rig a case.  I hope you know that.

Even then Burrows should have kept his mouth shut to the media and approached the league behind doors.  He basically made it hard for his whole team.  I don't condone what he did there either.

1 minute ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

Its alot different. If you cant see that then w/e. You've already got your mind made up.

Do you mind explaining the difference?

1) Someone says something about a player they perhaps dont like, and feel was discriminatory against them.They said it on the ice.  The player then proceeds to find a mass media outlet and complain about it. 

2) Someone says something about a player they perhaps dont like, and feel was discriminatory against them.They said it on the ice.  The player then proceeds to find a mass media outlet and complain about it. 

1 minute ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

Its alot different. If you cant see that then w/e. You've already got your mind made up.

You're right.  My mind was made up years ago.

im not a burr fan.

just not my style.

Some guys are just yap yap yap yap.  It's tiresome.  And now what are seeing?  Guy hasn't done jack this year.

but I'm not a fan of social media whistle blowing either.

If anyone broke a hockey code here, it was O'Sullivan. Didn't he just come out with a book? Good publicity I suppose. Do you think Theo Fluery would ever go to the media and out a player for comments on the ice? Highly doubtful. Theo would probably score 3 goals in that game instead, then use all 5' 6" of himself and get in the guy's face.

9 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

It's easy to get upset with people, to dehumanize them because they've let you down in some way. In my experience, life is a lot more vibrant and enjoyable when you consciously acknowledge the humanity of people around you. Most people don't really care about being right at the end of the day, they just want to feel like they were understood.

Three and a half million people in Metro Vancouver and you'd be surprised how good it can feel to make one person feel like they're important.

I wholeheartedly agree and I'd give you a +1 if I had any but I don't understand how this excuses what Burrows has allegedly said.

Just now, Spotted Zebra said:

Do you mind explaining the difference?

1) Someone says something about a player they perhaps dont like, and feel was discriminatory against them.They said it on the ice.  The player then proceeds to find a mass media outlet and complain about it. 

2) Someone says something about a player they perhaps dont like, and feel was discriminatory against them.They said it on the ice.  The player then proceeds to find a mass media outlet and complain about it. 

It wasn't about what was said. It was the fact the ref / refs were clearly out and against Burrows and Vancouver. Common man use your brain. Its not like Burrows is sitting there saying the ref is calling him names n $&!#.

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I wholeheartedly agree and I'd give you a +1 if I had any but I don't understand how this excuses what Burrows has allegedly said.

I never said I was defending Burrows. I was disagreeing with the notion that we're going to somehow remove trash talking from the game. Chips are a small part of the mind games we play when we're competing with someone. We do this in business, we do this in war. When you're trying to throw someone off, you're going to take the easiest route in doing so and the idea that we're going to remove this from anything let alone a physically aggressive sport is well-intentioned but naive.

While it's cold and may have crossed a moral line.

Burrows is no Sean Avery.  Burrows is also no Matt Cooke

Both players played with intent to hurt and intent to injure, both players played with a serious intent to get under the opposing players skin.

Sullivan who suffered much while a kid needs to understand that in the heat of play words may dig in and hurt, but a flying elbow to the head or an intentional kneeing injury hurts LOADS more.

Burrows has a significant history now which cannot be ignored.  he's no saint.  but Sullivan needs to understand how much worse it could have been.  Sticks and stones may break your bones, but an elbow to the head has you drinking soup through a straw for life.

In comparison, seriously have to be objective about it; but in retrospect I don't think with Burrows' history that anyone can be shocked he'd sink to that kind of verbal level

Archived