The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

There are those who aren't supporting osullivans whistle blowing but as well are not a fan of burr's methods.

Yah...Burr's actions are questionable at times, but he's not the only one.  I wish the Canucks could win with all players being model citizens, but the sheer reality is, the rules of engagement doesn't allow for that.  It's the law of the jungle and right or wrong, anything goes. 

I remember seeing a clip of Claude Lemiuex crying on the ice because of some trash talk he received about his wife being a 'ho (in the spirit of Christmas)...apparently Kerry Fraser told the player who said what he did to Lemieux to apologize, which the player did.  No one talked about it afterwards until Fraser brought it up a couple of years ago in his column.

Anyways, not to condone what Burrows has done a million times, I'm starting to feel less sympathy for O'Sullivan as he keeps throwing these darts at Burrows.  That actually makes me a little sad because no one should have to endure what O'Sullivan went through as a kid.

1 hour ago, skategal said:

I like Burrows and I respect the work and the journey he took to get to the NHL, but I have to wonder if when there is so much smoke, there might be fire as well.  In a perfect world, there are things that should be off limits, but I guess people will do anything to get an edge.  Lucic and his on ice antics, Burrows and others who trash talk.  I wish that players would let their play do their talking for them like the Sedins, but I know I'm dreaming.  

I never liked Kesler and I have reservations about Burrows. I hate trash talk. I hated when I played various sports and I just think it shows something very negative about the people who do it. I put it in the same category as the statement "if you are cheating you aren't trying hard enough". That is basically the Kesler-Burrows approach and I don't like it,

Toughness (Sbisa, Dorsett, Prust) is good. Diving, trash talk, cheap shots (Kesler, Burrows) is not good. I am glad to see the emphasis Benning and LInden put on character in acquiring players.

3 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Yah...Burr's actions are questionable at times, but he's not the only one.  I wish the Canucks could win with all players being model citizens, but the sheer reality is, the rules of engagement doesn't allow for that.  It's the law of the jungle and right or wrong, anything goes. 

I remember seeing a clip of Claude Lemiuex crying on the ice because of some trash talk he received about his wife being a 'ho (in the spirit of Christmas)...apparently Kerry Fraser told the player who said what he did to Lemieux to apologize, which the player did.  No one talked about it afterwards until Fraser brought it up a couple of years ago in his column.

Anyways, not to condone what Burrows has done a million times, I'm starting to feel less sympathy for O'Sullivan as he keeps throwing these darts at Burrows.  That actually makes me a little sad because no one should have to endure what O'Sullivan went through as a kid.

Yes obviously there are still remaining issues there and the optics of pumping book sales.  Pretty ugly all around.

6 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Do you mind explaining the difference?

1) Someone says something about a player they perhaps dont like, and feel was discriminatory against them.They said it on the ice.  The player then proceeds to find a mass media outlet and complain about it. 

2) Someone says something about a player they perhaps dont like, and feel was discriminatory against them.They said it on the ice.  The player then proceeds to find a mass media outlet and complain about it. 

4 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

It wasn't about what was said. It was the fact the ref / refs were clearly out and against Burrows and Vancouver. Common man use your brain. Its not like Burrows is sitting there saying the ref is calling him names n $&!#.

Further to the point, the difference is that Burrows can't challenge the ref to a fight, or take some cheap-shot if that's more his style to get revenge.  O'Sullivan, or any teammates had that option.

5 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

I never said I was defending Burrows. I was disagreeing with the notion that we're going to somehow remove trash talking from the game. Chips are a small part of the mind games we play when we're competing with someone. We do this in business, we do this in war. When you're trying to throw someone off, you're going to take the easiest route in doing so and the idea that we're going to remove this from anything let alone a physically aggressive sport is well-intentioned but naive.

I'm not talking about removing trash talk. You know what was trash talk? Marchand against the Canucks, yet that had CDC's collective panties in bunches. Never did he cross this sort of line.

Just now, Kragar said:

Further to the point, the difference is that Burrows can't challenge the ref to a fight, or take some cheap-shot if that's more his style to get revenge.  O'Sullivan, or any teammates had that option.

I guess the more pro option would be to inform your mgmt and have it addressed by the mgmt/ownership,rather than putting a black spot on yourself and teammates which it did and would any other time.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

While it's cold and may have crossed a moral line.

Burrows is no Sean Avery.  Burrows is also no Matt Cooke

Both players played with intent to hurt and intent to injure, both players played with a serious intent to get under the opposing players skin.

Sullivan who suffered much while a kid needs to understand that in the heat of play words may dig in and hurt, but a flying elbow to the head or an intentional kneeing injury hurts LOADS more.

Burrows has a significant history now which cannot be ignored.  he's no saint.  but Sullivan needs to understand how much worse it could have been.  Sticks and stones may break your bones, but an elbow to the head has you drinking soup through a straw for life.

In comparison, seriously have to be objective about it; but in retrospect I don't think with Burrows' history that anyone can be shocked he'd sink to that kind of verbal level

Correct - but like it or not, Burrows is like another player in the league.

Marchand.

Burrows did his HOMEWORK on how to get under the skin of a guy.

Like a good agitator should.  In a 'man's game', might I add.
So what?  What thin skin it is too, by the way.

White knight social justice warrior culture has worn out its welcome on my patience.

I will not defend anyone that says things in the midst of combat but things do get said!Every place I have played or been part of that happens and its even sadder that a person has to bring it out to the public I have no respect for players saying such thing but even less for those bringing it out to the public!O'Sullivan is a loser for doing so!

Archived