The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I guess the more pro option would be to inform your mgmt and have it addressed by the mgmt/ownership,rather than putting a black spot on yourself and teammates which it did and would any other time.

Sure, he could have done that.  Maybe he would be more respected for it, but I'm sure his rep would have hindered that.

Still, the difference is that Burrows had no direct options to deal with what was done.  That Nashville game was an absolute embarrassment for the ref.  Burr can be a tool, but he may have had his best game as a pro that day, but the idiot ref abused his position as an official, and should have been suspended on the spot.  I have no issue with him calling out the ref that day.

I don't condone what Burr allegedly did here.  I wouldn't play that way, but I've played with and against those who do.  Crap happens out there, and it should stay there.  If someone is offended by it out there, they should deal with it out there.  If you can't let that crap roll off you, or fight back when it happens, you will not succeed.

Even if at the time, Burr was challenged and then to pulled a Nolan, he would still get his head bashed in by whomever stepped up.  Maybe that would have made a difference, and he would tone down the trash talk in the future.  But some whining a decade later won't make a bit of difference.

Maybe THAT'S what Burr should have done... waited a few years after retirement, write a book and then call out the ref.  Would that make it all better?

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If you can't handle trash talk at all like that you should not be in pro sports at all,get a new job!

We are all supposed to weep for O'Sullivan's personal problems, apparently.  Years later.  Because twitter, the sensitive interwebs, and good ol' anti-Canuck bias.

Oh snap, now i'm being sensitive.  Scratch that.  No anti-canuck bias here.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Sure, he could have done that.  Maybe he would be more respected for it, but I'm sure his rep would have hindered that.

Still, the difference is that Burrows had no direct options to deal with what was done.  That Nashville game was an absolute embarrassment for the ref.  Burr can be a tool, but he may have had his best game as a pro that day, but the idiot ref abused his position as an official, and should have been suspended on the spot.  I have no issue with him calling out the ref that day.

I don't condone what Burr allegedly did here.  I wouldn't play that way, but I've played with and against those who do.  Crap happens out there, and it should stay there.  If someone is offended by it out there, they should deal with it out there.  If you can't let that crap roll off you, or fight back when it happens, you will not succeed.

Even if at the time, Burr was challenged and then to pulled a Nolan, he would still get his head bashed in by whomever stepped up.  Maybe that would have made a difference, and he would tone down the trash talk in the future.  But some whining a decade later won't make a bit of difference.

Maybe THAT'S what Burr should have done... waited a few years after retirement, write a book and then call out the ref.  Would that make it all better?

No no you're right. And I share the same thoughts regarding trash talk etc.   

Nice effort to becoming relevant again O'Sullivan. Didn't even realize he was out of the league until these sad stories came out. 

I personally think what happens on the ice stays on the ice. You settle your scores there not in the media years later when you are no longer relevant. 

$&!#ty thing to say. I also get in the heat of the moment ppl say crazy things. Not liking how players are crying to the media nowadays. If you say something like that you should answer the bell (too too situation). Take out the instigator rule and make everyone accountable for what they do or say. Players like burrows or Marchand wouldn't beak as much 

I wonder how the people defending his (supposed) actions would feel if somebody dug deep into their past and started chirping them about something that greatly affected them.

I bet the tone would change.

Parental physical abuse has been proven time and time again to have the potential to cause serious psychological issues for people.  It's ******* gross that people can defend another person for chirping someone about it just because it was "on the ice".

This thread has been a good showcase about which posters do not have the ability empathize for another person.

Archived