The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"I will cut you": Brouhaha in Brooklyn

The Bookie

OK, so New York Islanders fans are a lot more boisterous than Brooklyn Nets fans, and sometimes rowdy.

Also, Barclays Center operators have cracked down on some traditions--like the ability to see the pre-game skate--open to all fans at the more generously/loosely run previous venue, Nassau Coliseum.

That sets up some inherent tensions between fans and staff. (One fan says security treats them "like inmates at Rikers.") I'd add that many security guards are frustrated by limited hours and lack of benefits.

Also--and this adds something of a factor--nearly all the Barclays Center security guards are black Brooklynites, while the largest and most passionate group of Islander fans are white Long Islanders.

(See this tweet quoting a Facebook posting which asks, "What's with all the African American employees?" But also see Facebook posts pushing back, including from black fans and also pointing to the Islanders' biracial Kyle Okposo.)

That all likely factored into an incident two nights ago, in what CBS Local reported as Fans: Jumbotron Scuffle With Security Part Of Larger Problem At Barclays Center

As CBS2’s Tony Aiello reported, guards scuffled with a woman and a man who reportedly tried to move closer to the ice in order to get a better view of names flashing on the Jumbotron.

“The girl saying something about, there’s a memorial to her father. They wouldn’t let her take a picture. All of a sudden, they decked her,” Scott Wrba said via FaceTime.

Wrba took video of the altercation, and said that Barclays security has been uptight and uncomfortable with exuberant hockey fans since the Islanders moved to Brooklyn.

“We’re loud, we love our team, we love the Islanders, we’re passionate about it. I feel they don’t understand that. If they want to make it our home they have to make it more welcoming,” he said.

Numerous fans took to social media to express similar views, including “Barclays does not understand hockey culture,” and, “It’s not fun to go to a game there.”

A fan speaks

Justin Weiss, on Elite Sports NY, cited "one of the female victims, on Facebook":

(Insert name) and I pitched in and paid $75 to get a message for the ballantynes dad on the screen during second intermission, when we realized the 16 members of their family who were in attendance couldn’t see the screen from their seats we suggested they goto the handicap area to just get a better view and come back up. We didn’t think this would be an issue because when I sprained my ankle they allowed me to sit in the section without an ada ticket on multiple occasions for the entire game. Instead of understanding the situation security used this request as an excuse to abuse their power. 

Honestly I’ve never seen such mindless unwarranted violence from security at any other event, a woman security guard called johns sister a cunt and while her and I were standing together trying to get to her mom the she screamed “bitch I will cut you” right into (Insert name)’s face, she then proceeded to jump on top of Susan throwing us both to the floor- she pulled Susan’s hair, messed up her face pretty bad and also caused me to hit my head on the wall and floor of the hallway. She then proceeded to tell others around us that Susan “deserved it”. The security team then let the visibly injured Susan lay on the floor as we propped her head up with peoples jackets waiting for emts. Thankfully the emts are not Barclays center employees and were very nice and documented everything- they are also willing to let us pick up a copy of the report at their office which is not at the arena. After being treated this way and seeing what they did to others including (Insert name) I don’t think I can bring myself to go to a game any time soon. As a non season ticket holder the only way I can show them they can’t act this way is by not giving them money, I’ll be emailing the promotions department looking for a refund of the message board seeing as last night all I got was an offer for them to pick a different night for us to come back- what a joke.

http://atlanticyardsreport.blogspot.ca/2015/12/bitch-i-will-cut-you-tension-with.html

edit - this is why I wish there was still a preview function, video of the rumble showed up in live preview but disappeared after posting

can be watched here http://www.hngn.com/articles/161358/20151217/nhl-islanders-fans-barclays-center-security-square-off-tensions-mounting-see-it.htm

here's another perspective on it from a STH on reddit:

Was at the game , what happened was a bunch of fans bought a tribute on the jumbotron for a deceased family member and tried to sit in seats they didn't buy in order to see it better when the tribute came on. The staff originally allowed it but from the commotion I watched , too many people tried to get in and the staff wasn't having it. The people went nuts and as you can see from the video were hitting Barclays staff and from what I saw sitting five rows away decided to disrupt everyone around thems night by screaming at staff during the 2nd intermission and at least more than half of the 3rd period. The section the people were from is the Islanders Blue and Orange army and all of their members are downvoting me and PMing me that I'm a pussy who was sitting in THEIR section and to come fight them because I dared to go against what their story is.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I am a season ticket holder in the same section and the staff has been more than welcoming for us all season and are trying their hardest to learn the ins and outs of hockey. The group of people crusading against the staff apparently didn't realize that they allowed a group of people to walk in that section just a few games ago without any problem , the Blue and Orange Army also threw (though probably just one guy) empty beer bottles at a kid in THAT SAME SECTION for having a Rangers jersey on with his grandparents when they played the Rangers , this section also loudly chants about how ranger fans &^@# their daughters nearly every game, keep it classy guys

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/3x811h/islanders_fans_vs_brooklyn_arena_security_getting/cy2bnrm

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Just one request to the op: could you please change the title? It's rather offensive even with the censorship.

If you are offended by what someone said to someone else, that's your choice, but its not the fault of the security guard or the journalist. If you're suggesting that discussing an incident involving someone offending someone else could offend unrelated parties is a reason to censor speech, then I ask you how can you discuss a situation without knowing what was said by both sides. 

Just now, Edlerberry said:

If you are offended by what someone said to someone else, that's your choice, but its not the fault of the security guard or the journalist. If you're suggesting that discussing an incident involving someone offending someone else could offend unrelated parties is a reason to censor speech, then I ask you how can you discuss a situation without knowing what was said by both sides. 

I'm not offended by it per se. I realise it's not him saying it. I just think there are far better titles that can be used. That's why I asked him nicely.

Just now, The Lock said:

I'm not offended by it per se. I realise it's not him saying it. I just think there are far better titles that can be used. That's why I asked him nicely.

I agree there are plenty of other titles, but better is a subjective opinion and has nothing to do with offending anyone. I suppose you could critique the OP's title on creative grounds or offer an opinion on how you'd write it differently or what you'd do or say differently as the security guard or even suggest how offended the person who was verbally attacked must be, but censorship for made-up reasons is detrimental, no matter how nicely it's asked.

It's obvious the statement is a matter of record and when discussing events, facts matter. Obviously you wouldn't say that to someone, and neither would the OP, - i think ha - but  she did, its over, and now a healthy conversation can take place as a result of facing facts instead of hiding from them because of the boogyman. 

That's the facts OP thought would draw the conversation he's looking to have. I think we can both agree that we think it's outrageous and the employee - no matter what her reasons - shouldn't have done that.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Just one request to the op: could you please change the title? It's rather offensive even with the censorship.

Put a Canucks jersey on it then because they could use anything remotely offensive these days.

It's awful the abuse security guards are allowed to get away with. Because sports teams are so popular the security can act like a bunch of thugs and get away with it, they can beat people up and throw them out for just about any reason the want. It's much like police abuse although even the police have higher standards for employment than security guards. Sadly too many fans don't give a care about there fellow fans being abused by security as long as the beatings aren't blocking their view.

Archived