The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 0-2 Flyers

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Results of the 'smell test' from one who can't see(radio feeds only):

Essentially, we stink.

Positives?..

-Markstrom seems to be showing real promise. Ol' Lemon Face can absorb the bulk of this nasty, janitorial-duty, to earn his 6 mill-overpayment. Most expensive janitor in North America.

-JB will look like an absolute fool if he swings a knee-jerk deal, at this juncture. Let's hope he's not THAT stupid.

-The tank is fully on.

-We wanted to see youth, didn't we? We're getting a heavy dosage. Like Fukushima radiation spilling into the mighty Pacific..the opened tap of youth shall flow into our roster.

Lots of positives, if one sniffs about...

Blame must go to Benning.

-Inexperienced players: Baertschi, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, and Hutton.

-Mediocre journeymen players: Cracknell, Bartkowski, and Weber.

-Veterans that are less effective than in the past: Higgins, Burrows, Vrbata, and Dorsett... 

That's 12 players out of the 23 man roster. I laughed when Cracknell had to be sent out against Giroux's line. Cracknell has been great in his role but he isn't a shutdown center. Horvat and McCann are trying hard but they just don't have enough experience to be relied upon this heavily. I think this season should have been about brining in Baertschi into the NHL full time and letting Horvat continue his development in an environment where he can succeed and less about showcasing Virtanen and McCann to the fans.

He put too much hope on youth and relied on the fact that all of the vets will have a good season. As a result, he failed to prepare properly for the season. The end result is the crap that we are seeing on the ice.

WD hasn't been great either but he is a coach that promotes four line game so can't blame him too much at this point. He basically has one line that he trusts now and the center for that line was injured in the 1st period today.

This only makes sense if Benning's goal was to win the lottery. Something that has never happened for this franchise.

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

What's WD supposed to do, can't do much with the roster he's got right now. 

He can't get the team to score one goal? If he can't figure that out he should go back to the AHL.

I've seen worse rosters figure out how to score. If he doesn't have the right mix of players it's up to him to ask for some Utica call ups.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He can't get the team to score one goal? If he can't figure that out he should go back to the AHL.

I've seen worse rosters figure out how to score. If he doesn't have the right mix of players it's up to him to ask for some Utica call ups.

I'm no fan of WD, I'd rather we get a new coach who plays the trap , or wing lock system so our kids develop in a defensive minded system which will help them 5-7 years down the road when we contend again. 

But right now it's hard to fault WD on the losses. I just don't like the system he deploys. I wan't defensive, shutdown hockey for the next 3 or 4 years. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I'm no fan of WD, I'd rather we get a new coach who plays the trap , or wing lock system so our kids develop in a defensive minded system which will help them 5-7 years down the road when we contend again. 

But right now it's hard to fault WD on the losses. I just don't like the system he deploys. I wan't defensive, shutdown hockey for the next 3 or 4 years. 

You mean ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Hockey?

I think having a rock bottom season, like bottom 3- 5, will solve a few things:

1. potential draft lottery win or top 3 pick will help set this team up for a deacade.

2. this team is not as bad as their record indicates.  coaching coupled with injuries to key players have skewed how bad they are. they are bad, but they will be disproportionately rewarded with a high draft pick.

3. the fan base needs a reset.  15 years of good teams ( a couple sub par years in there for sure) have made lots of fans forget what its like to cheer for a bottom feeder.  Perhaps when they rise from the ashes the yellow sweater wearing latte drinking self entitled corporate stadium crowd will actually appreciate the team and actually make some noise in that friggen mausoleum they call a stadium.

Archived