The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 0-2 Flyers

CANUCK-EXPRESS

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm no fan of WD, I'd rather we get a new coach who plays the trap , or wing lock system so our kids develop in a defensive minded system which will help them 5-7 years down the road when we contend again. 

But right now it's hard to fault WD on the losses. I just don't like the system he deploys. I wan't defensive, shutdown hockey for the next 3 or 4 years. 

That's going to be hard with the players we have. Unless we get a top notch defender via trade, free agency there is no way we're going to have a shut down system.

Unless we can clone like 5 Tanev's then we're good.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He can't get the team to score one goal? If he can't figure that out he should go back to the AHL.

I've seen worse rosters figure out how to score. If he doesn't have the right mix of players it's up to him to ask for some Utica call ups.

Yeah, he shoulda taught Edler to miss Mason's wrist.

It's not on WD.  His top 2 Cs were teenagers for the last 40 minutes tonight.  Aside from puck luck they played a solid game.

Easy to armchair in a few goals though.

Here's the thing, I can deal with the losing for the rest of the season. I can settle right in and watch the ship sink if I know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The worst thing, which is what I'm afraid will happen, is that Benning will refuse to give up and not ship any players out. And all of a sudden the team will try really hard in the last 20 games and just fall short. Ending up with an 15th to a 20th pick.

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

I think having a rock bottom season, like bottom 3- 5, will solve a few things:

1. potential draft lottery win or top 3 pick will help set this team up for a deacade.

2. this team is not as bad as their record indicates.  coaching coupled with injuries to key players have skewed how bad they are. they are bad, but they will be disproportionately rewarded with a high draft pick.

3. the fan base needs a reset.  15 years of good teams ( a couple sub par years in there for sure) have made lots of fans forget what its like to cheer for a bottom feeder.  Perhaps when they rise from the ashes the yellow sweater wearing latte drinking self entitled corporate stadium crowd will actually appreciate the team and actually make some noise in that friggen mausoleum they call a stadium.

well said.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Imagine Markstrom playing front of an NHL caliber D. That's what I'm looking forward to.

Benning needs to use our cap to rebuild the D in the summer.

IS there anyone on our D who is untouchable?  I don't think so, though I would like to take some time to see what Hutton can be when he adds weight and gets more development.  The rest are soft, slow, offensively/defensively challenged.  If Benning is going to re-build the D, he should approach it with a mindset that he will listen to any offers on any player.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Here's the thing, I can deal with the losing for the rest of the season. I can settle right in and watch the ship sink if I know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The worst thing, which is what I'm afraid will happen, is that Benning will refuse to give up and not ship any players out. And all of a sudden the team will try really hard in the last 20 games and just fall short. Ending up with an 15th to a 20th pick.

I agree, JB should demolish the team and try to get a top pick for each of the next 5 years, then we will be set. Edmonton has developed that model I think.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm no fan of WD, I'd rather we get a new coach who plays the trap , or wing lock system so our kids develop in a defensive minded system which will help them 5-7 years down the road when we contend again. 

But right now it's hard to fault WD on the losses. I just don't like the system he deploys. I wan't defensive, shutdown hockey for the next 3 or 4 years. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The thing I'm worried about right now is that if Henrik's injury is serious/long-term, Benning will over-react and give up good assets for Johansen.

Just now, oldnews said:

Yeah, he shoulda taught Edler to miss Mason's wrist.

It's not on WD.  His top 2 Cs were teenagers for the last 40 minutes tonight.  Aside from puck luck they played a solid game.

Easy to armchair in a few goals though.

The coach sets the roster. He hasn't been able to find chemistry in his lines pretty much the entire season. (outside of the first) Not to mention a powerplay that has been awful for a long time without any adjustments.

Refusing to play Pedan and Kenins despite them bringing exactly what this team needs is just baffling. Especially when the alternatives are Weber and Higgins.

To think that Willie isn't a part of this is just letting him off the hook. If his current roster can't score he needs to play the trap like the Coyotes did for many years. If he's actually serious about winning. Making no adjustments and expecting different results is just insanity.

I don't see the Sedins going thru this for 2 1/2 more years. If things are this bad they may ask to be moved or it may be mutual decision between them and team. 

We would get a haul in return, 50% retained and it's be great. 

I know what they said and I know what JB said so please spare me the reminder. Been watching sports waaaayyyyyy too long to believe that stuff. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Thats what plagued the Calgary Flames for almost a decade.  Bad enough to miss the playoffs but good enough to be in the race for many of those years, so they kept their vets and prolonged the mediocrity.

But here is the thing: can the canucks hit a home run in the draft like the flames have in the draft.  Johnny Hockey gnome wasnt even a first round pick, and Sean Monahan is an impact player - i think he was 6th overall, and 19 year old sam bennett is another is another ace.

Moral of the story is if you have a chance to draft in the top 8 you better make sure that the pick is a home run.

That's not even possible with this current roster. Even when they try, they'll win 1 out of 5 or 6 games at best. Maybe they'll win back to back if they get lucky with 2 bad teams, that's about it. And not many teams are worse than the Canucks at this moment. 

I'm fairly comfortable right now, fully expecting a top 10 pick at minimum. I also don't expect to see Vrbata and maybe some other players around here next year. 

The coach sets the roster. He hasn't been able to find chemistry in his lines pretty much the entire season. (outside of the first) Not to mention a powerplay that has been awful for a long time without any adjustments.

Refusing to play Pedan and Kenins despite them bringing exactly what this team needs is just baffling. Especially when the alternatives are Weber and Higgins.

To think that Willie isn't a part of this is just letting him off the hook. If his current roster can't score he needs to play the trap like the Coyotes did for many years. If he's actually serious about winning. Making no adjustments and expecting different results is just insanity.

So, they're goal scorers I suppose.  

You're flip flopping around out of frustration, but your simple answers aint exactly all that.

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Thats what plagued the Calgary Flames for almost a decade.  Bad enough to miss the playoffs but good enough to be in the race for many of those years, so they kept their vets and prolonged the mediocrity.

But here is the thing: can the canucks hit a home run in the draft like the flames have in the draft.  Johnny Hockey gnome wasnt even a first round pick, and Sean Monahan is an impact player - i think he was 6th overall, and 19 year old sam bennett is another is another ace.

Moral of the story is if you have a chance to draft in the top 8 you better make sure that the pick is a home run.

Which is why what have a GM with an incredible amount of experience drafting for.

Archived