The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 0-2 Flyers

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Just now, samurai said:

We got youth in the system, we got some vets that can play, but there is no middle - that is not Benning's fault but rather gillis and nonis and the poor drafting. There is no mid 20's peaking core on this team that's is why we suck. 

I agree but we are over this already. Yes, Gillis sucked near the end and he deserves a lot of blame but it's the second year in which JB is in charge. Benning did nothing to fix the problem. 

He got Sutter but that's obviously not enough in the NHL. How many times have we seen teams fail because of lack of depth? 

He did nothing to fix the defence either even though it has been pointed out as the weakness for many years, even while Gillis was still the GM.

I  wanted mccann to go too the wjc but if hes staying here playing top 6 minutes I'm ok with that too.  That could be huge for his development if the deal doesn't completely fall apart around him.  mccann and baer looked good together that one shift i saw them together.  I think bo and mccann can handle that stress if its on them and they know it.  I think they will grow fast not implode.  thats just my opinion tho. would love to see canner go though.

8 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

If Hank is out for any prolonged period Benning has a pretty good 'out' to have a losing season.

Willie's coaching plus the injuries will guarantee a top 10 pick this year.  All benning has to do is get rid of some of these dead weight vets for draft picks and watch the ship sink even further.  How can a team remain competitive with their top 2 centers and two of their top 4 d men out?  Its the perfect out, Benning just needs to grab a bag of popcorn and watch.  His biggest worry should be which vets to unload and who will he pick if he doesnt win the draft lottery.

True.

Also JB doesn't want to fire WD, owners pbbly do but not JB and/or TL. JB knows a GM usually gets 1 coaching fire, maybe 2 if he's lucky but if he fired WD and things don't turn around (which they won't) then he's on the hot seat. Henrik's prolong injury gives JB an out for this season. 

1 minute ago, Gstank29 said:

Could they get Matthews:unsure:

That's what I mean.  They have been horrible.  They've had a tough time scoring goals and Getzlaf and Perry look off big time.  I've been watching some Duck games and they've got a lot of work to do to get to elite level.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When was the last time you remember them scoring a huge goal when we absolutely needed one? Powerplay stats can be deceiving.

And if being in the bottom 3rd of the league on the powerplay with the Sedins on the team is a good thing, I think we need to raise the bar a little.

No, powerplay stats can't be deceiving. They are an exact percentage of how often a team scores on their powerplay.

It doesn't matter if you don't think the powerplay is clutch enough. That's not quantifiable, and never will be no matter who you have on your powerplay. But a better powerplay is more likely to be clutch.

It's not bottom 3rd. 17th is barely bottom half. 

And once again, all I said was that the powerplay is better than the team. Meaning there are better things to fix/complain about.

We deserved a better fate tonight in spite of Henrik being injured. Marky definitely did, he's had terrible goal support from the boys so far this season. That being said a loss is a loss and losing Henrik is huge. He was an NHL iron man for the longest time, it's gonna take a hell of a lot for Henrik to pull himself out of a game. If he's out for any length of time this is definitely rock bottom.

Could help us going forward, but it really sucks having one of our guys hurt. Especially one of the twins.

This is the Quinn/Renney/Maniac-Mike/Burkey-phase all over again, for the viewing-pleasure of the internet-age.

So many opinions.. as too many cooks spoil the broth, us CDC posters are like pigs at the trough.

Dealing Linden brought us a motherlode..Learn your history, or you're doomed to flail & wail on boards of shame...

Poetry, song(blues) humour & perhaps Zen Bhuddism will cure all which ails us..Namaste.

last bright note- Many of the poor, unwashed masses should be able to witness the lion-feedings(thumbs down)...

6 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

No, powerplay stats can't be deceiving. They are an exact percentage of how often a team scores on their powerplay.

It doesn't matter if you don't think the powerplay is clutch enough. That's not quantifiable, and never will be no matter who you have on your powerplay. But a better powerplay is more likely to be clutch.

It's not bottom 3rd. 17th is barely bottom half. 

And once again, all I said was that the powerplay is better than the team. Meaning there are better things to fix/complain about.

Yes they can be deceiving because you can go 3 for 5 in one game and then on a run of 0 for 13 the next 3 games and it still appears your powerplay is decent when it's actually just streaky.

When you score is just as important as how much. How many powerplay goals are tying goals or go ahead goals? That stat is important whether you think so or not.

17th is 3 away from being bottom 3rd and could easily be there after tomorrow's game. Especially with Henrik out. With players like the twins, there's no reason this team shouldn't be top 10 on the powerplay every season. 

Said it before, will say it again...we're going to have dark cloudy days for a few seasons before the sun starts to shine again.  Until such time that Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce Hutton, Shinkaruk, Demko, etc. gain the experience to compete and excel in the NHL on a night-after-night basis, this Canucks team is going to be bad.  The Sedins, as good as they have been this season, have never carried the team on their backs, so to think they are capable of doing that at 35 years of age is asking the impossible.

So, IMO, we are going to see more games like tonight than games like vs. the Habs and 'hawks from earlier this season for the next couple of seasons.  I hope the Aquilinis are able to stomach that one, and are probably going to wish that they implemented Gillis' plan to blow it up and rebuild after the 2012 season. 

What we are seeing now with the Canukcs is no different than the Quantitative Easing plan implemented by all the Central Banks in the world...the Aquilinis just kicked the can out a little further out in the future back in 2012 and now that the future has arrived, we are in the midst of a hockey depression and there's nothing that any kind of hockey ops management policies that is going to take the pain away from watching a once prosperous team falter, until the underlying asset base strengthens.

I have hope for the future...but I have this gnawing concern of what if some of the kids don't turn out to be what we hope they become?  Yikes...thankfully, it's only hockey and not real life (though by what I read on these boards, hockey = life and life = hockey).

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That won't stop them from trying even when they're eliminated.

They'll play for "pride" even if it means we draft 10 spots worse.

The only players I see playing with pride right now are the Sedins , the goalies, and Hansen (and sometimes Dorsett, though I think hes just naturally an angry man). The young guys are playing to prove to themselves that they belong in the NHL, while the rest of our vets look happy to collect paycheques for skating around for about 15 minutes a night. Cracknell looks neutral to me.

That last goal was typical Edler... first he coughs the puck up at the blue line , then he lets his player walk around him then he just stands there while a Flyer is whacking away at the rebound.......  Not a word said to him at the bench and he is out there next shift like nothing happened.

Archived