The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 0-2 Flyers

CANUCK-EXPRESS

12 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

If you are benning:

1. do you let McCann go to the WJC? 

I say yes, bring up Vey.....the draft lottery balls will get even hotter for the canucks

2. do you just bunker down and let the team continue on this path, then try and unload some of these dead weight vets at the trading deadline?

I say yes, short term pain for long term gain.  No use trying to make a run for a playoff spot only to be clobbered in the first round.

1. Agree. With or without McCann in our lineup, it's not going to make much of a difference. There is only positives from sending McCann to the WJC. Vey coming to the Canucks, on the contrary, would actually be a motivation BOOST for the guy.

2. I think I must agree here too. Mayyyybe make a trade for a defenseman if possible, but otherwise we can not give up young assets.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Said it before, will say it again...we're going to have dark cloudy days for a few seasons before the sun starts to shine again.  Until such time that Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce Hutton, Shinkaruk, Demko, etc. gain the experience to compete and excel in the NHL on a night-after-night basis, this Canucks team is going to be bad.  The Sedins, as good as they have been this season, have never carried the team on their backs, so to think they are capable of doing that at 35 years of age is asking the impossible.

So, IMO, we are going to see more games like tonight than games like vs. the Habs and 'hawks from earlier this season for the next couple of seasons.  I hope the Aquilinis are able to stomach that one, and are probably going to wish that they implemented Gillis' plan to blow it up and rebuild after the 2012 season. 

What we are seeing now with the Canukcs is no different than the Quantitative Easing plan implemented by all the Central Banks in the world...the Aquilinis just kicked the can out a little further out in the future back in 2012 and now that the future has arrived, we are in the midst of a hockey depression and there's nothing that any kind of hockey ops management policies that is going to take the pain away from watching a once prosperous team falter, until the underlying asset base strengthens.

I have hope for the future...but I have this gnawing concern of what if some of the kids don't turn out to be what we hope they become?  Yikes...thankfully, it's only hockey and not real life (though by what I read on these boards, hockey = life and life = hockey).

As a wise man uttered, "never do today, that which may be saddled upon the grandkids." Instant-gratification society shall continue kicking every metphorical can down the lane, at least 'til they remember it's a cul-de-sac...

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

diminishing returns where you're concerned DeNiro.

carry on, telling yourself you know it all / ie. outsmarting yourself.

(insert emoticon here)

I think it's more likely that you just don't have much to offer.

Or maybe it hurts when you think too hard, who knows.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

As a wise man uttered, "never do today, that which may be saddled upon the grandkids." Instant-gratification society shall continue kicking every metphorical can down the lane, at least 'til they remember it's a cul-de-sac...

We're doomed and we've doomed our grandkids, nuxfan. How's life in Japan?

This is what I would like the Canucks and JB do for the rest of the season

Let McCann go to the WJC.

Try and move a couple of the UFA s before the trade deadline.

Get Willie to play Markstrom for at least half the games remaining.

Send Jake back to Calgary after the WJC.

Get the injured players back as soon as they can comeback

And play as entertaining hockey as they can with what they have. 

I sure don.t want them to tank

And the way they are playing right now if that continues the only way they will put butts in the Rogers next year is if they have a Mathews type of player that can come in a play well (Like McDavid did in Edmonton.)

12 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Said it before, will say it again...we're going to have dark cloudy days for a few seasons before the sun starts to shine again.  Until such time that Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce Hutton, Shinkaruk, Demko, etc. gain the experience to compete and excel in the NHL on a night-after-night basis, this Canucks team is going to be bad.  The Sedins, as good as they have been this season, have never carried the team on their backs, so to think they are capable of doing that at 35 years of age is asking the impossible.

So, IMO, we are going to see more games like tonight than games like vs. the Habs and 'hawks from earlier this season for the next couple of seasons.  I hope the Aquilinis are able to stomach that one, and are probably going to wish that they implemented Gillis' plan to blow it up and rebuild after the 2012 season. 

What we are seeing now with the Canukcs is no different than the Quantitative Easing plan implemented by all the Central Banks in the world...the Aquilinis just kicked the can out a little further out in the future back in 2012 and now that the future has arrived, we are in the midst of a hockey depression and there's nothing that any kind of hockey ops management policies that is going to take the pain away from watching a once prosperous team falter, until the underlying asset base strengthens.

I have hope for the future...but I have this gnawing concern of what if some of the kids don't turn out to be what we hope they become?  Yikes...thankfully, it's only hockey and not real life (though by what I read on these boards, hockey = life and life = hockey).

You know that realistically it is impossible to expect that more then 4 of those guys (Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce Hutton, Shinkaruk, Demko)  will become real NHL players. The Canucks are not any more genius at drafting than any other team.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

We're doomed and we've doomed our grandkids, nuxfan. How's life in Japan?

Goin' swimmingly BBC..aside from dwindling business & doomer-demographics. At least the lasses here are still slender, & easy on the eye.

Those are heavy words, although I'd say the wine in the cellar ought to be polished off indeed...

I hope you & yours are well, as holidays approach.

2 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

You know that realistically it is impossible to expect that more then 4 of those guys (Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce Hutton, Shinkaruk, Demko)  will become real NHL players. The Canucks are not any more genius at drafting than any other team.

I think Shink and Gaunce fall by the wayside. Hutton, McCann and Horvat will be serviceable. Boeser and Demko I think both become very good NHLERS and Virtanen could be Neely, Erics Brother or Isbister.

8 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Hence, the gnawing feeling that I wrote about in the post that you are referring to.

EDIT: can't believe I used the word "hence" on a hockey board.  And no, I'm not trying to be some literary giant by using the word.  Was just a reflex.

Archived