The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Edler (discussion)

Remember last year, when there were a few people suggesting that we should trade Vrbata and Matthais. Their value was at a high, and most of CDC scorned them for suggesting such a thing. Suggesting that we were a good team and that the year before was only an anomaly , and caused mostly by Tortz's coaching.

Well, if we look into the future, we are finally as a whole seeing the truth, which is we are in need of a rebuild, and do not have the depth of a playoff team, or at least one that won't get bounced in the first round.

The truth of last year was, we were in a weak division, and rode a hot goal tender up the standings........circumstances made us appear better than we actually were.....we were a middle of the road team.....15th/16th at best, and would have been if Lack had not of stood on his ears.

Fast forward to this year, and ask the questions, do we make the playoffs? Who are our best trading assets? This brings me to Edler.

Edler at 29 is on a good contract, with years left on his contract, and valued at a #2, 3 defenseman on most teams, has good value still, but fast forward a year or 2 and that value, may drop. (aka Hamhuis)(And Edler was never as good as Hamhuis)

There are some teams, that would value Edler very high right now, and still will at the deadline, this is the year to trade Edler, and his return will be somewhere around a mid-1st rounder and an A-prospect.

Teams like Ottawa, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Washington, Tampa, and Pittsburgh, would all give healthy offerings for the right to have Edler

I am saying now, we trade Edler this year! Not because of questionable play, because it can partly be explained by the team he plays on, and  because of his talent and up-side to a contending team should be valued....

I do not think he will ever bring more...this is the year

Does anyone agree....no trashing, just a good move at the Trade deadline

Thanks

4 minutes ago, A NEW BEGINNING said:

Remember last year, when there were a few people suggesting that we should trade Vrbata and Matthais. Their value was at a high, and most of CDC scorned them for suggesting such a thing. Suggesting that we were a good team and that the year before was only an anomaly , and caused mostly by Tortz's coaching.

Well, if we look into the future, we are finally as a whole seeing the truth, which is we are in need of a rebuild, and do not have the depth of a playoff team, or at least one that won't get bounced in the first round.

The truth of last year was, we were in a weak division, and rode a hot goal tender up the standings........circumstances made us appear better than we actually were.....we were a middle of the road team.....15th/16th at best, and would have been if Lack had not of stood on his ears.

Fast forward to this year, and ask the questions, do we make the playoffs? Who are our best trading assets? This brings me to Edler.

Edler at 29 is on a good contract, with years left on his contract, and valued at a #2, 3 defenseman on most teams, has good value still, but fast forward a year or 2 and that value, may drop. (aka Hamhuis)(And Edler was never as good as Hamhuis)

There are some teams, that would value Edler very high right now, and still will at the deadline, this is the year to trade Edler, and his return will be somewhere around a mid-1st rounder and an A-prospect.

Teams like Ottawa, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Washington, Tampa, and Pittsburgh, would all give healthy offerings for the right to have Edler

I am saying now, we trade Edler this year! Not because of questionable play, because it can partly be explained by the team he plays on, and  because of his talent and up-side to a contending team should be valued....

I do not think he will ever bring more...this is the year

Does anyone agree....no trashing, just a good move at the Trade deadline

Thanks

If we do that then we are doing a rebuild. Management has been public about their desire to keep some core players. If we trade Edler we have the worst defense in the league by a mile. Hamhuis is gone, add Edler and we are looking like Sbisa-Tanev is our top pairing.  I would consider it based on the offers and the market, but I just don't see the point of it with the current management plans. Edler I think will be the only dman to stay for the next 3-5years when we try to make a final cup push with the sedins. 

Burrows, Higgins, prust, Hamhuis,  Vrbata are all on the hot seat and could be moved.  5main players are good enough IMO for a spring/summer. Again look at Virtanen these days. He isn't ready and rushing players kill their development. Look at Edmonton vs Detroit history over the years. 

4 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

If we do that then we are doing a rebuild. Management has been public about their desire to keep some core players. If we trade Edler we have the worst defense in the league by a mile. Hamhuis is gone, add Edler and we are looking like Sbisa-Tanev is our top pairing.  I would consider it based on the offers and the market, but I just don't see the point of it with the current management plans. Edler I think will be the only dman to stay for the next 3-5years when we try to make a final cup push with the sedins. 

Burrows, Higgins, prust, Hamhuis,  Vrbata are all on the hot seat and could be moved.  5main players are good enough IMO for a spring/summer. Again look at Virtanen these days. He isn't ready and rushing players kill their development. Look at Edmonton vs Detroit history over the years. 

My fear is that management agrees with you and wants to be a playoff team, where in reality it is clear to everyone, that we are not.

I read an article stating that the Canucks are a bottom team, so I checked the Vegas odds on them, they are very low odds of winning the Stanley Cup......Vegas does not see us contending....the "house" does not like loosing their money....

There are many others in the hockey world that feel the same, yesterday Ferraro was talking about this on 1040, and felt the Canucks lacked mid-aged talent, amongst a lot of other factors.....

My fear is that we don't go into total rebuild.....I am for a very rapid decline, and a very fast assent.......this does not mean 1 or 2 years at the bottom, but 3 or 4 years at the bottom. IMO we have a lot of strong Young prospects/pros, and half our rebuild is already done.....we just need a few elite offensive players

To achieve this quickly means moving the Edlers, Vrbata's, etc. now! Maybe re-sign Hamhuis at a big discount and hope he rebounds (It is possible), but also sign a few short term fill-ins to ice a team.

We will have competition at the bottom too, and with the new drafting rules, and possible expansion in a year or 2, we will have to get lucky to get 2 out of 4 of our own picks to be productive, so adding picks now enhances the speed of our rebuild.....

I wouldn't stop at Edler and Vrbata either, there are others

32 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

We already have the worst D in the league and Edler is part of that problem. He has way too many cough ups and mental lapses during the game.  He has never become the D-man we all hoped he would be and we need to stop with all the " he has the tools to be an all star " because he doesnt have the hockey smarts that are needed.

Garrison and Bieksa both had NTC as well....... if a team approaches a player and tells him he is no longer part of there future, most players have enough pride to allow them to get traded, it just means they get to have a say in where they get traded

I’ve been on board for moving Edler for a long time, But…..I don’t want draft picks in return.  I want Edler moved in a larger package that brings up back a young Right Handed Defensemen  If Edler + could get us a Hamonic, or Trouba, or Gudbranson I’m 100% game.

We wouldn’t hurt the performance of our current roster that much and it would set us up in the future.  We have a long list of Left handed defensemen in our line up and system.  Hutton, Pedan, Sbisa, Brisebrois, Tryamkin.  But on the right side after losing Corrado, and Clendening, we have Subban who’s still a way out.  Solidify our top 4 for the now and future, sign a UFA stop gap (Yandle) till one of our current left handed D develops and build from there.

Next year we’d have a D core of.

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Hamonic

Pedan Sbisa

Tryamkin

That’s 10x better than what we're currently icing and we also get significantly younger. 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’ve been on board for moving Edler for a long time, But…..I don’t want draft picks in return.  I want Edler moved in a larger package that brings up back a young Right Handed Defensemen  If Edler + could get us a Hamonic, or Trouba, or Gudbranson I’m 100% game.

We wouldn’t hurt the performance of our current roster that much and it would set us up in the future.  We have a long list of Left handed defensemen in our line up and system.  Hutton, Pedan, Sbisa, Brisebrois, Tryamkin.  But on the right side after losing Corrado, and Clendening, we have Subban who’s still a way out.  Solidify our top 4 for the now and future, sign a UFA stop gap (Yandle) till one of our current left handed D develops and build from there.

Next year we’d have a D core of.

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Hamonic

Pedan Sbisa

Tryamkin

That’s 10x better than what we're currently icing and we also get significantly younger. 

For the love of Gordie swap Hamonic and Tanev!

I'd also keep Hutton on the third personally to keep easing him in and move him to top 4 with injuries.

Yandle, Hamonic
Sbisa, Tanev
Hutton, Schenn (or similar)

Pedan, Bartowski

That puts a skater and/or PMD on every pair with a larger, more physical guy. I also happen to think Sbisa/Tanev would be a great, complimentary shutdown pair.

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

For the love of Gordie swap Hamonic and Tanev!

I'd also keep Hutton on the third personally to keep easing him in and move him to top 4 with injuries.

Yandle, Hamonic
Sbisa, Tanev
Hutton, Schenn (or similar)

Pedan, Bartowski

That puts a skater and/or PMD on every pair with a larger, more physical guy. I also happen to think Sbisa/Tanev would be a great, complimentary shutdown pair.

Sure. Line ups I don't really care about. Some players will have chemistry some won't, hopefully it would get sorted out in preseason. But I could go with opening day line up to how your suggesting. 

Bleh speculating on trades is silly with players with NTC. There's no way in telling on where they would be willing to go or IF they would be willing to go anywhere.

Also silly to assume we can win on UFA free agents. I.E Yandle will have multiple offers at a high cost markup. Maybe he comes here but there are likely more appealing US markets that he'd rather go to.

Essentially what I'm getting at, is that trading away our top 4 dmen isn't the answer, we need to add to our defence.

21 minutes ago, goblix said:

Bleh speculating on trades is silly with players with NTC. There's no way in telling on where they would be willing to go or IF they would be willing to go anywhere.

Also silly to assume we can win on UFA free agents. I.E Yandle will have multiple offers at a high cost markup. Maybe he comes here but there are likely more appealing US markets that he'd rather go to.

Essentially what I'm getting at, is that trading away our top 4 dmen isn't the answer, we need to add to our defence.

First, this is the Armchair GM section....

Second, Goligoski would also be an option there or other (albeit inferior) options like Hamhuis (among others).

LD are a LOT easier to replace including from within our own prospects. If you can move Edler for a guy like Hamonic, you do it IMO.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Second, Goligoski would also be an option there or other (albeit inferior) options like Hamhuis (among others).

LD are a LOT easier to replace including from within our own prospects. If you can move Edler for a guy like Hamonic, you do it IMO.

exactly If you have the opportunity to get younger and better you make that trade. 

Third although it is just speculation, but Canucks will have enough money to outbid almost every real player in the UFA market. 

Forth, without giving up assets the only way to add you blueline is through draft.  Drafting D takes 3-4 years and we are in the process of it.  So inorder to improve it, players need to be moved around to fit team need,  IE top 4 right handed D

Just now, J.R. said:

I think it's a lot easier said than done... Who is going to eat Edler's minutes ? Pedan? Hutton ? Sbisa ? 

Fair enough on being a armchair forum but with NTC it's impossible to know the most important side of the trade I.E. the players opinion in destination. Therefore a specific team is hard to pin point hard to even speculate on and seems tough to even draw out a decent trade without that kind of information.

Also on Hamonic, I view him as a Tanev with a more all around skillset.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

exactly If you have the opportunity to get younger and better you make that trade. 

Third although it is just speculation, but Canucks will have enough money to outbid almost every real player in the UFA market. 

Forth, without giving up assets the only way to add you blueline is through draft.  Drafting D takes 3-4 years and we are in the process of it.  So inorder to improve it, players need to be moved around to fit team need,  IE top 4 right handed D

Younger? Edler being 29 isn't an age problem... better? is Hamonic better than Edler?

If we do a 1 for 1 swap I actually think our defence is worse off because of the hole on the left side.

Archived