The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Edler (discussion)

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

For the love of Gordie swap Hamonic and Tanev!

I'd also keep Hutton on the third personally to keep easing him in and move him to top 4 with injuries.

Yandle, Hamonic
Sbisa, Tanev
Hutton, Schenn (or similar)

Pedan, Bartowski

That puts a skater and/or PMD on every pair with a larger, more physical guy. I also happen to think Sbisa/Tanev would be a great, complimentary shutdown pair.

That's the kind of defensive corps that can take a team places.

28 minutes ago, goblix said:

I think it's a lot easier said than done... Who is going to eat Edler's minutes ? Pedan? Hutton ? Sbisa ? 

Fair enough on being a armchair forum but with NTC it's impossible to know the most important side of the trade I.E. the players opinion in destination. Therefore a specific team is hard to pin point hard to even speculate on and seems tough to even draw out a decent trade without that kind of information.

Also on Hamonic, I view him as a Tanev with a more all around skillset.

Younger? Edler being 29 isn't an age problem... better? is Hamonic better than Edler?

If we do a 1 for 1 swap I actually think our defence is worse off because of the hole on the left side.

Look at our next core.

Horvat 20, McCann 19, Virtanen 19, Shinkaruk 21, Hutton 22, Boeser 18. 

No you look at Edler, at the end of his contract (in 4 years) he will be 34 years old.  In 4 years our young core will just start to be making a big impact in the league.  All those players will be under 25.  Which D fits that team better,  a 29 year old Hamonic or a 34 year old Edler. 

As for Hamonic better than Edler,  YES, Hamonic is a better defensemen than Edler. 

And for the hole in the left side.  In case you haven’t noticed the right side has a glaring hole this entire season.  On the left side you prospect pool is completely favored to the left side,  Pedan, Tryamkin, Brisebrois, Sbisa, Hutton all left handed D.  Hamhuis, also left, who is still a valid option to resigning back in Vancouver again next year as well. 

On the right side we have Tanev and weber, and Subban a ways down,  That’s it.  Look at the 2016 draft,  1 right handed defensemen out of 7 potential first round picks.   

Hamonic or even Gudbranson, Locks our top 4 on the right side for the next 8-10 years.

Just now, goblix said:

I think it's a lot easier said than done... Who is going to eat Edler's minutes ? Pedan? Hutton ? Sbisa ? 

Fair enough on being a armchair forum but with NTC it's impossible to know the most important side of the trade I.E. the players opinion in destination. Therefore a specific team is hard to pin point hard to even speculate on and seems tough to even draw out a decent trade without that kind of information.

Also on Hamonic, I view him as a Tanev with a more all around skillset.

Younger? Edler being 29 isn't an age problem... better? is Hamonic better than Edler?

If we do a 1 for 1 swap I actually think our defence is worse off because of the hole on the left side.

Hamonic eats Edler's minutes.

Don't disagree that we're all guessing in regards to NTC's destinations etc but we're having an Armchair GM discussion....

Far more physical than Tanev with more offense.

Edler being 29 will be any age problem when we're contending again. They're probably pretty on par with Hamonic having more room to grow as he's just entering his prime.

Do the trade in the off season, sign a UFA. *poof*

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Look at our next core.

Horvat 20, McCann 19, Virtanen 19, Shinkaruk 21, Hutton 22, Boeser 18. 

No you look at Edler, at the end of his contract (in 4 years) he will be 34 years old.  In 4 years our young core will just start to be making a big impact in the league.  All those players will be under 25.  Which D fits that team better,  a 29 year old Hamonic or a 34 year old Edler. 

As for Hamonic better than Edler,  YES, Hamonic is a better defensemen than Edler. 

And for the hole in the left side.  In case you haven’t noticed the right side has a glaring hole this entire season.  On the left side you prospect pool is completely favored to the left side,  Pedan, Tryamkin, Brisebrois, Sbisa, Hutton all left handed D.  Hamhuis, also left, who is still a valid option to resigning back in Vancouver again next year as well. 

On the right side we have Tanev and weber, and Subban a ways down,  That’s it.  Look at the 2016 draft,  1 right handed defensemen out of 7 potential first round picks.   

Hamonic or even Gudbranson, Locks our top 4 on the right side for the next 8-10 years.

Not saying that Hamonic wouldn't be good or bad but is robbing Peter to pay Paul the answer here?

Honestly by trading Edler you are putting a lot of faith in a young player will step up and take away those minutes away. 

In 4 years Edler will be 34 but in the meantime he will eat up the hard minutes for the Hutton / Pedan / Sbisa types while they develop into the next top pairing dmen.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Hamonic eats Edler's minutes.

Don't disagree that we're all guessing in regards to NTC's destinations etc but we're having an Armchair GM discussion....

Far more physical than Tanev with more offense.

Edler being 29 will be any age problem when we're contending again. They're probably pretty on par with Hamonic having more room to grow as he's just entering his prime.

Do the trade in the off season, sign a UFA. *poof*

Sure IF you sign a sure fire UFA to a contract that can replace Edler's minutes then I'm all for it... Past that unless Hamonic can play on the left side he's not going to eat Edler's minutes and like I said I don't see Hamonic as better nor necessarily worse. His age is appealing so if ignoring our left//right sided depth and if there's a one for one trade then sure I'd be all for it.

All in all as the team looks right now there is no way you pull the trigger on a Hamonic for Edler trade.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And it doesn't even include guys like Tryamkin, Subban or whomever we draft this year.

If they can brought in and developed properly, it could be the most complete defense the Canucks have ever had, and one that would rival the leagues best.

On another note, I honestly can't understand how people would be resistant to an Edler for Hamonic trade. It works for both players, and would serve the better interests of both clubs. Hamonic matches Edler's ability in almost every way, and exceeds him in the fact that Hamonic is no stranger to sticking up for himself or his teammates, something that Edler has never done.

Just now, J.R. said:

I hope not to recognize our D core (and vast swaths of our forwards) next year :lol:

Without a doubt. Outside of the Sedins and their stellar play and dedication, and the young bucks, I 'm looking forward to seeing a rejuvenated and much different roster. Hopefully younger, meaner, and far more dedicated.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If they can brought in and developed properly, it could be the most complete defense the Canucks have ever had, and one that would rival the leagues best.

On another note, I honestly can't understand how people would be resistant to an Edler for Hamonic trade. It works for both players, and would serve the better interests of both clubs. Hamonic matches Edler's ability in almost every way, and exceeds him in the fact that Hamonic is no stranger to sticking up for himself or his teammates, something that Edler has never done.

no problem with the trade itself, don't think islanders would do a 1for1 trade though.

I do have a problem with our overall depth and trading a top 4 for a different top 4 isn't any kind of answer

1 minute ago, goblix said:

no problem with the trade itself, don't think islanders would do a 1for1 trade though.

I do have a problem with our overall depth and trading a top 4 for a different top 4 isn't any kind of answer

For a considerably younger, stronger, and tougher defenseman, one would be crazy not to do the trade.

Hamonic is 24. Edler is 29. 5 years of playing is huge amount.

18 minutes ago, goblix said:

It is when you have a TON of left D prospect depth and left D are far more readily available through UFA, trades etc and you have almost zero right D organizational depth.

Worst case scenario, we simply re-sign Hamhuis. We'd still not likely be winning a ton next year and forget about offense from our D but that's still setting up a better D-core for 4 years from now. Which is what really matters IMO.

Hamhuis, Hamonic
Sbisa, Tanev
Hutton, UFA(Schenn?)

Pedan/Tryamkin, Bartowski

If you trade Edler you better be getting a top pairing left handed defenceman in return who can play 22-25 minutes a night comfortably, score 40ish points and play decent defence.

Otherwise here's our defence (when healthy, when injured they'd be all-AHL):

Hamhuis - Tanev

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Hutton - Biega

Weber

Edler would be pretty hard to replace, like trying to replace one of the Sedins. He's so underrated on CDC it's a joke. Say what you want when he makes a defensive gaff, but he plays big minutes for this club and would leave a monstrous hole if he left.

The only trade I'd be willing to make with Edler is one of Edler + picks or prospects for a real stud lefty defenceman who can play 20 minutes a night right now.

There aren't many guys like that around, but Adam Larsson comes to mind. NJD need young scorers, we've got them. Edler + Shinkaruk for Larsson + 2nd round pick

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If you trade Edler you better be getting a top pairing left handed defenceman in return who can play 22-25 minutes a night comfortably, score 40ish points and play decent defence.

Otherwise here's our defence (when healthy, when injured they'd be all-AHL):

Hamhuis - Tanev

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Hutton - Biega

Weber

Edler would be pretty hard to replace, like trying to replace one of the Sedins. He's so underrated on CDC it's a joke. Say what you want when he makes a defensive gaff, but he plays big minutes for this club and would leave a monstrous hole if he left.

The only trade I'd be willing to make with Edler is one of Edler + picks or prospects for a real stud lefty defenceman who can play 20 minutes a night right now.

There aren't many guys like that around, but Adam Larsson comes to mind. NJD need young scorers, we've got them. Edler + Shinkaruk for Larsson + 2nd round pick

Agreed, my point is that why bother trading out from a position of need seems like a lot of effort to go nowhere.
As for Edler, underrated // overrated on CDC I'm not sure the guy's play is somewhat sporadic and it seems to match the fan base here as well lol. I've seen a lot of Edler bash threads but conversely a lot of trade threads asking for the moon. /shrug

I've said it many times, Edler is a great #2-3 dman who is forced to play like a #1. 

6 minutes ago, goblix said:

Agreed, my point is that why bother trading out from a position of need seems like a lot of effort to go nowhere.
As for Edler, underrated // overrated on CDC I'm not sure the guy's play is somewhat sporadic and it seems to match the fan base here as well lol. I've seen a lot of Edler bash threads but conversely a lot of trade threads asking for the moon. /shrug

I've said it many times, Edler is a great #2-3 dman who is forced to play like a #1. 

His contract is really good too, for the minutes and responsibility he's given.  

Archived