The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Canucks get Stamkos during FA?

DefCon1

8 hours ago, Fateless said:

Stamkos will want to go to a contender. The Canucks are literally the furthest thing away from that right now. 

I see no reason for Stammer to sign with us - no matter how much we wish he would.

Pretty funny to see this post and yet there is much speculation and buzz on Toronto being the favoured destination.

11 hours ago, goblix said:

Pretty funny to see this post and yet there is much speculation and buzz on Toronto being the favoured destination.

Its Toronto - they say everyone wants to play there, yet they they rarely see any high-value free agents sign there.

League max wouldn't even tempt him to sign with us. Who would his wingers be, Kenins and Baertschi? He'd finish his career with 400 goals rather than 700, not to mention the zero Stanley Cups.

He'd be better off signing a $10m deal with Montreal, and having Pacioretty and Gallagher alongside him, with Subban and Price behind.

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 7:38 PM, qwijibo said:

How are they getting rid of Higgin and Miller? I love when people assume you can just "get rid" if a player without thinking about the logistics of that. It's possible they can trade Miller. But very unlikely they can do it without retaining significant salary. Or taking significant salary back in return. But to your question. Sure.  Vancouver COULD try to land Stamkos in free agency (assuming he makes it that far). I'd say it's extremely unlikely he'd actually sign here though. There are a lot of much more attractive franchises out there right now than the Canucks in free fall

Yup.

It's not as if other teams are blind. They have scouts and know more than we as fans know about the Canucks. No team is taking on Miller's contract. The Canucks are a team that is in free fall. Miller is paid as a bonafide #1 goaltender. Not only is he not stealing games for the Canucks, he was also forgettable in his brief tenure with St. Louis.

So, we're looking at a goaltender that hasn't been in top form in years. Yet, he's being paid for his past work. The Canucks best chance of landing a Stamkos right now is to draft their own Stamkos.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Yup.

It's not as if other teams are blind. They have scouts and know more than we as fans know about the Canucks. No team is taking on Miller's contract. The Canucks are a team that is in free fall. Miller is paid as a bonafide #1 goaltender. Not only is he not stealing games for the Canucks, he was also forgettable in his brief tenure with St. Louis.

So, we're looking at a goaltender that hasn't been in top form in years. Yet, he's being paid for his past work. The Canucks best chance of landing a Stamkos right now is to draft their own Stamkos.

You can just draft a Stamkos? Is there a Stamkos factory out in Ontario?

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You can just draft a Stamkos? Is there a Stamkos factory out in Ontario?

If, like many people, you knew how to read, then you would have understood that other teams draft their elite talent. Instead of people on here foolishly hoping the Canucks will pick one up via trade or free agency, perhaps they should *gulp* focus on drafting said talent.

9 minutes ago, Monty said:

If, like many people, you knew how to read, then you would have understood that other teams draft their elite talent. Instead of people on here foolishly hoping the Canucks will pick one up via trade or free agency, perhaps they should *gulp* focus on drafting said talent.

Ooohhh.....good one. You're so clever, Monty.

I don't know how to read. My goodness, no one has ever tapped into that type of originality before on these boards.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ooohhh.....good one. You're so clever, Monty.

I don't know how to read. My goodness, no one has ever tapped into that type of originality before on these boards.

Well if you knew what I was saying, which I knew you did, why not respond to that instead of posting nonsense? You're much, much better than that.

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

Well if you knew what I was saying, which I knew you did, why not respond to that instead of posting nonsense? You're much, much better than that.

You said I couldn't read.....did you not?

That got my knickers in a twist, Monty. And when my knickers get twisted, I get plain ornery.

That being said, I agree with your statement that drafting and developing a similar type of player is far more productive than constantly trying to sign the biggest fish each July.

That mentality is not cap friendly nor does it lend itself to the biggest intangible with any roster.....team chemistry. 

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You said I couldn't read.....did you not?

That got my knickers in a twist, Monty. And when my knickers get twisted, I get plain ornery.

That being said, I agree with your statement that drafting and developing a similar type of player is far more productive than constantly trying to sign the biggest fish each July.

That mentality is not cap friendly nor does it lend itself to the biggest intangible with any roster.....team chemistry.

I apologize. Wasn't called for.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No worries at all. I'm getting a tad grumpy in my old age.

Aren't we all. I'm at that age now (only 33) where I haven't played video games in nearly a month and I looked at my wife and said, "What is the point of these electronics? Can't I just go hunting in peace and quiet without someone calling me and asking if I've liked something on Facebook?"

She just looked at me, looked down and pointed at my inside slippers and said, "You're becoming a grumpy, old fart. And you're younger than me."

24 minutes ago, Monty said:

Aren't we all. I'm at that age now (only 33) where I haven't played video games in nearly a month and I looked at my wife and said, "What is the point of these electronics? Can't I just go hunting in peace and quiet without someone calling me and asking if I've liked something on Facebook?"

She just looked at me, looked down and pointed at my inside slippers and said, "You're becoming a grumpy, old fart. And you're younger than me."

Too true. The electronic distractions can really take up a huge amount of time that can be spent doing far more useful things.

And the irony that the above statement is on a online discussion board is not lost on me....hahahahahaha!

Archived